April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (KY Jon), 371 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,228
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BillK Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Merry Christmas members. It has been quite some time since I have posted something, although I have been lurking around and reading a lot of your posts. I am hoping you can help me with your knowledge and advise me as to whether this shot that was won at Poulin Antique Auction yesterday is made by Daniel Fraser or Charles Osborne. The link describing the gun and pics is below. My apologies, but I could not figure how to upload the pics on the post. The shape of the box lock action is straight and not arched as most Fraser actions. Is it possible that this acton and barrels were supplied to Fraser by Charles Osborne? What are your thoughts on that and quality of it? Thank you in advance. BillK

https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-Milita...mation/57859265

The description given was:Cal. 12 Ga., 2 3/4". S# 47785. Bbls. 28" dovetailed are marked "DANIEL FRASER. LEITH, EDINBURGH." in unmatted portion of unmatted swamped game rib w/ extension. Bbl. flats are stamped w/ Birmingham nitro proofs for 2 1/2" chambers. Bottom of left bbl. is stamped w/ actual maker's mark "CO" (Charles Osbourne). His number is on bottoms of bbls., action & trigger guard tang (corresponding to approx. date of manufacture of 1924). Case hardened boxlock action features automatic safety, pivoting 3rd fastener & dbl. triggers. Action engraved w/ 50% coverage scroll. Blued top lever floorplate & trigger guard are also scroll engraved. Well streaked, dense European walnut straight grip buttstock measures 14 1/2" over serrated horn buttplate. Stock features side panels, point pattern grip checkering & vacant silver oval on toeline. Matching splinter ejector forend has Anson release. MEASUREMENTS: BARRELS: Bore diameter: R .728, L .728. Restriction: R .003 (IC), L .037 (FULL). Min. Wall Thickness: R .034, L .032. STOCK: LOP: 14 1/2". DAC: 1 1/2". DAH: 2 1/4". Cast: 3/8" off. WEIGHT: 6 lbs. 11 oz. CONDITION: fine as partially & attractively refinished. Bbls. retaining over 90% good quality rust reblue over a few scattered nicks. Action retains 40-50% original case hardening color, silvered on high edges from normal hand wear. Top lever, floorplate & trigger guard reblued, slightly silvered on thumb piece & at grip. Stocks retain nearly all of an old oil refinish. Edges slightly rounded, checkering w/ some wear. There are a scattering of minor subsequent marks, mostly on butt. Bores appears to be very fine, but dirty. Action is tight. Bbls. are on face. Ejectors are in time. (20-2874/MGM92). CURIO. $1,500-2,200.

Last edited by BillK; 12/13/20 05:43 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe the gun is a bought in Birmingham one, for resale. The shop at 4 Leith St Terrace was long closed by then, "Leith" is the town to the northeast of Edinbugh (the shop at No.4 was off the Leith Walk). It might have been part of Daniel Fraser's son's effort to get the business going again after the Great War.

The gun does not even remotely look like any of the A&D's Fraser's had put out before, let alone their patent boxlock.

BillK Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you for the reply Mike.

BillK Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Happy New Year to all. I finally got the "Daniel Frazer" shotgun in my hands. I have read the replies and some other threads trying to find more information or evidence of a connection between Daniel Frazer and Charles Osborne. According to the gun description I have listed above, it appears the CO mark at the bottom of the left barrel is of the gunmaker Charles Osborne. Would that be correct? The serial number on the gun is 47785. According to the ad, that puts the manufacturing date to around 1924. Would that serial number represent Daniel Frazer or Charles Osborne? I found another thread here talking about Charles Osborne serial numbers, but it appears his serial numbers were in the range of around 79000 by 1924.
The gun overall is very nicely finished or refinished and as described in the ad and I am happy with it so far. I have not shot it yet, but I like the improved cylinder/full choke combo. The barres ring true, it is tight on the face and the ejectors work perfectly. Barrels are clean. Checkering is fine.Flats are marked as 2.5 for chambers and 1 1/8.
I am just trying to shed some light about its lineage. Thank you in advance. BillK

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.