March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (ChiefAmungum), 205 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,975
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Chantry Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Some of you may remember the 16 gauge Rigby side lever that sold in Amoskeag's March 2020 auction. I was the one who bought it and a week or so ago I sent Rigby the serial number and description to find out the provenance of the gun. Turns out the gun was sold to the 7th Duke of Newcastle in 1883. His younger brother, the 8th Duke of Newcastle, owned the Hope Diamond until he sold it pay off some of his debts.

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.
Sidelock
Sidelock

well, la tea dah...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pretty cool indeed. Lots of history out there on these guns and if they could talk there would certainly be some stories.

foxes rule
Sidelock
Sidelock

A repost:
I added a Remington 1882 10 gauge grade 4 gun to my humble collection of Remington SxS's. This gun has a name embossed in the stock under the locks,
D N DARLING is clearly stamped. Doing some internet searching I found out that Mr Darling was a turn of the century Arizona pioneer right here in Cochise County.
The 1916 edition of Arizona, Prehistoric, Aboriginal, Pioneer, Modern lists him as owning a brick manufacturing company and was a very active builder with the growing copper mining industry. In order for Mr Darling to get from the smelter to the mine he would have driven right past my ranch.
What was a blemish on a graded gun became a neat historic story. 1890's border AZ was still wild and dangerous--this 10 might have been handy on trips here and there!

tut, Right your are--if the guns could tell their stories!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh gosh a willies- Eddie- are you a Anglophile by chance, as well as a song and dance man for Rasmus accents-- La "tea" dah-- well tea is a Limey beverage- but I believe it is more accurately said as: "La Dee Da (h)" anyway, I'll lift my pinkie and raise a cup of Earl Gray to the thought- RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Are you sure D wasn't for "Ding"? a quite famous name in the history of wildlife management and particularly waterfowling - along with many other things. A Ding Darling gun would be worth some serious cash I think.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
Are you sure D wasn't for "Ding"? a quite famous name in the history of wildlife management and particularly waterfowling - along with many other things. A Ding Darling gun would be worth some serious cash I think.

This is what came to my mind right away. I like your Arizona story and all, but a Ding Darling gun would be...totally different

NRA Life
FOAC Life
PA Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs Life
PA Trappers Association Life
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: pamtnman

This is what came to my mind right away. I like your Arizona story and all, but a Ding Darling gun would be...totally different

Ding's middle initial was also "N" for Norwood, but his first name was Jay. I'm doubtful that he would have his nickname with his middle initial but not his first initial or name in there somewhere.

One rifle I would really like to know the fate of from the same era, more or less is Paul Errington's Model 99 deer rifle. I hope it got into a museum, but I am doubtful.

Still any gun with any known and old history is worthy of special attention.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's what I was thinking. Better fit.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would enjoy you gents to have a look at the embossed lettering, but I have not mastered placing photos on this forum.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.