April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Wild Skies, rwarren, PALUNC, SKB, 1 invisible), 199 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,464
Posts545,053
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
AZMike Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Winchester brought out the Model 59 shotgun in 1959. It had a fiberglass wrapped barrel. I am not too sure how it relates to this subject but I'm pretty sure a jam-o-matic can get hot!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
Didnt Teague stop putting liners into barrels because they had problems with the adhesive system? Not clear if the problem was as getting an even, end to end coverage, for and barrel and liner or was it the bond broke down over time? It would be interesting to try pit repair as described above. What do you really have to lose?

This article doesn't say the adhesive was the main problem. Other issues like repairing barrels with the liners were a problem along with some reviling with the liners. I wonder what adhesive was used for the liners. Teague Liner issues

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wrong thread

I doubt any epoxy finely enough applied Would stay stuck to a pit The strain of the barrel as it bulges during firing Would probably pop it all loose in short order

Last edited by ClapperZapper; 12/10/20 11:08 AM.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: AZMike
Winchester brought out the Model 59 shotgun in 1959. It had a fiberglass wrapped barrel. I am not too sure how it relates to this subject but I'm pretty sure a jam-o-matic can get hot!

Yes, with a steel liner taking the brunt of hot powder gasses, pressure, friction, etc. There are also rifles using a similar system with a rifled liner wrapped in carbon fiber and high temp resin. This is like the difference between using epoxy to patch an engine block because the water jacket leaked, and trying to use the same product to line a scored cylinder.

KY Jon asks what you have to lose??? If the veneer of epoxy pops loose and creates an obstruction in a barrel already somewhat compromised by pitting, you could lose digits or an eye. A lot of dangerous experimentation has taught us about things like the strength of Damascus barrels. But when the risk became greater, the firing was done with a string pulling the trigger, and the shooter shielded behind a protective barrier or a big tree.

I think that the eventual failure probably won't result in a barrel burst, but the possibility certainly is there. Most likely though, you would simply learn that an epoxy interior surface is simply not up to the task, and it will never be a satisfactory replacement for sound steel in this particular application.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I figured Steve'O (SKB) would pipe in after all he was the American connection to Teague barrel liners at one time...at least she said he was.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I took a model Winchester Model 59 to Columbia for doves countless years ago. No problems but the epoxy holding the ramp and front bead failed after the first day.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the idea has some merit. I spent my career in the aerospace service industry and was tasked with finding safe and economical repairs due to design issues, corrosion, failures, etc.
I wouldnt dismiss the possibility of using some of the latest super epoxies or other products that have come out in just the past few years.
I have also thought of repair ideas that might be used to repair barrel corrosion and pitting.
We repaired some high dollar landing gear struts that had internal corrosion by machining the internal barrel of the strut and have the barrel chromed. Could this be done on a shotgun barrel? Im not sure.

Could a thin metal sleeve be hydroformed inside the barrel after back boring? Not sure.
Could a barrel be back bored and then heat the barrel in an oven, super cool the sleeve using methanol and dry ice then press the sleeve in for a interference fit? No bonding agent needed possibly eliminating the issues Teague experienced.
Wouldnt resolve the issue of making a dent non repairable but if you had a unserviceable barrel to begin with you got more time out of the barrel then you would have in the pitted state you are ahead of the game.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
I figured Steve'O (SKB) would pipe in after all he was the American connection to Teague barrel liners at one time...at least she said he was.

I guess Steve swore an oath of Teague Silence...

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I guess Steve swore an oath of Teague Silence...

Did you have a question that was not covered in Dig's article? I am happy to share what I know about Teague liners and have done so in the past.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've always thought chrome lining might be a solution to this problem. I don't know much about the process. If it was feasible it would already, probably, be being done. Any thoughts ?

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.