April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Der Ami, Jimmy W, PALUNC, btbell, 2 invisible), 285 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,459
Posts544,985
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Nitrah Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This gun was stocked with the cast off, even the top tang is directed to the right. I suspect it will need restocked to remedy

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you are going to restock then you might try bending, because you have nothing to lose. Might end up with an S-curved gun which would be interesting and might start a new craze in gun fitting. smile

It is a heck of a gun though. I'd sure do my best to make it work.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

He doesn't have the junk guns you're accustomed too...just cant let any jAke leg work on it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Nitrah
This gun was stocked with the cast off, even the top tang is directed to the right. I suspect it will need restocked to remedy

Dicksons are notoriously difficult to bend, most of the time impossible. The fillets on the stock are very fragile and bending can do damage to them. Most gunmakers wont even attempt to bend a Dickson RA. I said most....theres some out there that have done it with some success, but usually the successful bends are pretty minute. Youre not going to move that stock 1/4 cast off to 1/4 cast on. You might be able to get to neutral before damage occurs. Its not uncommon to bend action tangs when bending stocks too. On big bends, it has to be done or youll have the tangs springing from the wood.
That is one of the big bugaboos with buying a Dickson RA. It has to fit pretty well when you buy it because adjustments are pretty limited, restocking is usually required to make it work well for the new owner. And as you might already know....restocking a Dickson RA is not cheap.

Nitrah Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the input. I am hesitant to try. I have bent a number of guns but all straight stock and bend for more or less drop. This stock has a pistol grip so I wonder if I could bend it after the pistol grip. I realize that is a lot more wood to bend but then I avoid putting stress on the head of the stock.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nitrah, clamp the head of the stock - as SKB suggested. That will ensure it does not split.

I bet you can do it at least for a ways. It would be worth a try.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

No. Clamping the head will not ensure that it does not spilt. WTF. I already stated the issues with bending a RA. Itd be worth a try huh? Easy to say when its not your expensive gun and when you dont have to pay for either a very expensive repair or an extremely expensive restock.
What terrible advice.

Nitrah Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

just for those that have followed my struggles. One of the recommendations was a gel teck pad by Beretta, which came to day just as I was leaving to shoot. They don't look half bad and that was all I needed, was 1/4" reduction in the cast off to shoot it well

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm glad it was that easy for you to get it shooting to p.o.a. with both barrels, Nitrah.

Knowing that it is will likely do much for your shooting as well, because of the confidence you now have in it.

Best, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

My friend a 16 gauge Merkel (1620) that shot center of pattern 6" low at 25 yards, both barrels. Maybe ammo, but who knows. He had never fired it and took it dove hunting and was missing everything and went to another gun and started knocking them down. He found out what was going on shooting at a patterning board. Gun went back to Merkel to get both barrels regulated. Yep, they shot to point of impact. Just to the wrong point of impact.

foxes rule
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.