Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dan, it sounds like many people are using the same ammunition containers.
Here's a tip.
Harbor freight sells the small 1 with the lid gasket For $4 pretty regularly I use those for I waterfowling.
They take spray paint well,They give you a dry place in the boat To store your cartridges.
The larger Boxes with the storage in the lid are great if you shoot multiple gauges
You can Paint The top and label them as you wish.
I also use 1 for toting dog stuff keeping it in the truck.

Collars leashes batteries Medical supplies, and some boxes of non tox in the bottom.
Being modular makes mobilization quick.
Pick a gun
Pick a box
Grab the duffel
Gone.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I STORE my ammo in the military cans and use range bags, or blind bags to haul my shells to the range or field.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

All good info and suggestions, thank you.

Doesn't meet my storage criteria, but I kind of like this ammo purse for the range:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/102299657?pid=238191

I expect I will be ordering a couple of the MTM boxes to start as well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good luck, Dan. I do as FlyChamps, and just leave 'em in the cardboard flats and take them to the range that way.

If I'm going hunting I throw enough to do me in a shoulder bag, or put them in the bottom of my dove stool.

At home all my shells are stacked, thrown and piled under a big shelf, on the floor. The door is always shut. My wife has no say so in that room, just as I have none in her boudoir.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The old heavy stiff plastic milk crates work very well for storing shotgun ammo and they are stackable. In another life I was involved in the dairy industry here in WI and I was able to grab a few here and there.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: FlyChamps
The MTM Ammo Crates come in various sizes.

Holds 10 boxes of 12 gauge: https://www.amazon.com/MTM-ACR4-18-Ammo-...B0XAZY7DZEF9EK0

Holds 20 boxes of 12 gauge: https://www.amazon.com/MTM-ACR5-72-Crate...B08FV24S6HXYZYV

I have 3 of the larger size for my rifle and pistol ammo and they work well. Being old and having no children or grandchildren around I just keep shotshells in their original flats - with 26 flats on hand I can't see spending the money for any other way of storing them.

I have half a dozen of those ACR4 crates that hold a flat. Instead of the ACR5 I have 2 of the ACR7 crates they also hold 2 flats but are stacked so are taller and have less footprint. I keep one in the back of the truck all summer (under a locked topper) with a mix of shells as a backup to the backup. With the windoors on the truck cap I can move them to the rear where I can finally pull them out. And they stay dry all summer in the truck.

The other one is in my buggy under a large plastic box I use for a seat so 2 more shooters can ride with me. Normal years anyhow whatever that once was. I shoot a lot.

I use the ACR4 crates for the primary backup in both truck and buggy with labels on them:
12-1-#8
12-1 1/8-#7.5
12-1-#7.5 etc. for the 12 16 and 20.

When going to a shoot I use the MTM ammo cans 50 cal type they hold 6 boxes which is enough to get through a round of a 100, I shoot my lookers unless it is for "something"

5 stand I just throw a flat in the truck and go back and forth and in a months time I climb in the back and clean all the cardboard out LOL.

Reloading room has stacks of flats under the bench and against the wall in a corner. And everywhere else I can put them. Only reload for the 16 in 7/8 oz. anymore and once the 11 flats of Herters I have left are gone will start loading 1 oz. in 16 also.

Really like the ACR4 crates a lot. My garage gets wet sometimes and is my overflow. Learned the hard way that the cardboard flats and boxes don't hold up well to high humidity and will pick up more of the ACR4's at some point soon.

Someone posted a locking shelf system for the ACR4 and ACR7. Because the ACR7 is the same width as the ACR4 but twice as high it works well. I plan on using 1x4's instead of 2x4's and make them taller. Also use biscuit joiner instead of pocket jig and screws. Personal preference like many things. And I don't need to lock them in place. But if the price of ammo keeps going up that may change!

Instructables

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.