March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (canvasback, Ken Nelson, Dan S. W., Marc Ret, SKB, 1 invisible), 799 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Use these wads
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/885123693

One bag to see

others to load quantity

https://www.shydasoutdoorcenter.com/shoo...20-ga-1-oz.html

Mike

Hodgdon Shotshell Data Manual #1 page 155
23.5 grains of HS-7
9.400 LUP

MORE

go here and fill in your gauge, hull and 1oz

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/shotgun

Last edited by skeettx; 11/28/20 04:51 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Use these wads
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/885123693

One bag to see

others to load quantity

The Winchester guide ups the powder charge to 23 grains 540 to get the 1165 fps with the Remington SP20 wad. Slight increase in pressure to 10,000 LUP.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The RXP-20 wad is what you want Stan.

It works In the new or old style AA or the Remington hulls perfectly with an ounce.

Herco is my preferred, but there's a load published for the AA with 20/28 that could be shaved by a grain and a half and still have adequate pressure and likely be around the velocity you seek.

You have once again confirmed that many 'published' loads are impractical.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

After reviewing what I have on hand it looks like if I can't use Unique or 7625 for these 1 oz. 20 ga. loads I'm out of luck. I've got Slo 1000, 2400, Longshot, 296, Red Dot, Unique and 7625 on hand. Maybe the Remington wads will work, or the BP ones.

I'm going to scour the stores round here for some Remington Heavy Dove game loads. They are 1 oz. at 1165. Just right if I can find some.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I like the Federal Game loads. - 1 ounce at 1165, when I can find them on sale.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Back in the day I used to load the WWAA20 hulls with 16.5gr 800x, the WWAA20F1 wad and 1oz of 8's for a great trap load in my 20ga and broke my first 25 straight at trap with that load.

Byron
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Saskbooknut
I like the Federal Game loads. - 1 ounce at 1165, when I can find them on sale.

Buy one box and pattern them. I have a couple guns that dont like them.

Stan, my 16s and 12s are pretty happy with an ounce. Hit or miss with the 20s.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hodgdon lists loads for Longshot and the SP-20.

If you can't find any SP-20s I have an old bag of them here if you want it.

I've used SP-20s too, and they work fine.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hogdon presently lists six loads in their current on-line load data using 800X for your hulls that should both fit and function just fine. For the loads listed as producing 1200 fps, you can back it off a bit on the amount of powder or call them to verify that's okeh, if you wish; shouldn't be a problem when all else is kept the same as listed.

You'll see or hear where some folks complain about 800X's flowing characteristics, to which I say both 'bunk' and that they were likely using manually operated progressive presses and had every effort based on absolute speed. If you take a moment, or are using a single stage press like a MEC, the 'flow' issues will be zero.

I'll also mention that 1oz. loads in 20's are much like Ted says, when you go to pattern them, 'hit or miss'.

I've a friend who swears by Hogdon Longshot and there are 7 of the 9 loads listed that meet your criteria as published. He loads on a Spolar that is plenty quick and uses the Remington SP 20 wads w/o issue. Both he & his son took multiple limits of dove using those loads W/# 7.5's during this past season and seasons past. He son routinely uses the same loads in a Beretta gas gun for sporty clays & posts good scores w/them. I've no personal experience w/that powder or using his loads, but have witnessed many a dove bagged and clay broken w/them.

I still prefer shooting 7/8's oz. rounds of #6's in a 20 for dove, quail, cotton-tails & feral pigeons. #7.5~9 for clays & skeet. Don't shoot a 20 at trap, tho some do.

Of course, Joe Wood has seen me miss a flushing bird more than once, that had nothing to do w/payload or shot size whatsoever and can verify that fact. It was because he pointed out that the bead on the model 31's adjustable choke devise I was shooting that day was ever so slightly to the left! I'd been killing birds w/o thot for years prior w/that gun, never once even had a conscious awareness that the darn thing had a bead! Clever, these old guys w/hammer guns; don't get side tracked w/minutia, take the bbl. or bbl.'s to the bird & shoot it!

And I still like seeing what a few patterns look like on a grease plate, but that's just me.. and you and whole lot of other like minded individuals that like to shoot and have a keen interest in shotguns and their voodoo.

Pull!

'Take 'em!'

Very glad to see that you are back up to speed and not bored stupid. Find that load you are seeking.

FWIW, an old bud of mine, 96 now, took to cutting the cushion section out of some AA20 wads & turning them around, effectively making them 'shorter'and two-pieced when playing w/1 oz 20 ga loads. They were pressure tested by one of the major munitions makers at the time; those found safe/within SAMMI specs. got shot at clay targets, more for amusement than anything else. Neither of us was fond of 1 oz 20's, excepting for ducks decoyed in close. It was still lead shot days then and not that many guns were chambered for the 3" varieties that Francis Sell was such an advocate of. We took early season teal decoyed in close and some passing well outside the decoys w/1 oz of lead 6's w/o much difficulty using the better loads and a 20 ga. was a lot less burdensome taking into some of the playas we hunted back then.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks everyone. It seems I've got more to work with than I thought.

I'm not crazy about 1 oz. loads in the 20, either. The 7/8 oz. has suited me just fine in a 20 for dove and quail for as long as I can remember, but I have a different situation now. The Sterlingworth Ejector I have will not regulate with 7/8 oz. loads, and regulates fine with 1 oz. loads at about 1150.

We'll just have to try some 1 oz. loads and pick the best patterning, if I am to keep the gun for quail. If I've learned anything about patterning, and regulation with different loadings, it's that you can't outthink it. You have to go to the plate and just try different loads.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.