March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
11 members (Dan R, Hoot4570, canvasback, 4 invisible), 348 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,985
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#585587 11/28/20 01:36 PM
terc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A friend called me this week to see if would be interested in buying a Purdey that came into his shop. It's on consignment, the owner is asking $6900.00 for it. A bargain, right ,well, the mechanics are great. The gun is tight. The ejectors, triggers,and safety are fine. The chambers are still 2 1/2 inches. I didn't see any pitting in the barrels.
But,
The stock is broken and very rough.
The barrels have a few minor dents and need reblued.
The engraving needs picked up.
The case color is gone.
What be be an approximate cost for a total redo here in the states ?
Since it is a Purdey should the renovation be done by Purdey ?
I walked away from it but am now having second thoughts.
opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks, Dave

Sidelock
Sidelock

$7500 for a beater with a broken stock and dented barrels
SURE, go for it smile

Then another $7500 for stock and refurb

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd buy it...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like a viable project providing:
the MWT's are above the low 20's,
the engraving is worn on soft metal, not hardened,
you are prepared to spend a LOT of money getting the work done right.

No, do not give it to Purdey, they will charge you a fee 5x what it would cost you through the best of the US restorers.
However, I would consider sending it to the UK for the work but I appreciate that this is a whole shed load of work.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not sure who lets a Purdey get into that kind of shape to begin with - has to have been neglected for years or decades.

Offer him $3500 and see if he calls you back in a few months.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Agree with Dan. These projects tend to get completely out of hand. Pictures would be helpful.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
terc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I may be able to take a few cell phone pics next week.
I'm sure the price is negotiable. The owner actually bought it at a yard sale this summer.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Couple things here.

First, more about the gun, gauge, barrels, chokes, era, etc. Is it still in proof? Just the name Purdey on it doesn't mean it worth the money.

This was my experience which turned out well.

I was offered this gun about 4 years ago.

It was built in 1894 for this guy, Howard Fitzwilliam. It's No.2 of a pair.

Surprisingly all was as it left Purdeys 122 years before except the bores were about 0.001-0.002 over from honing and the pad added about an ounce to the weight. MWT was .025-6" 9" from muzzle, mid 50 thousandths 9" from breech. Everything else was the same and it was returned to Purdey in 1924 for Nitro Proof.

I brought it to the Orvis Gamefair at Sandanona and showed it to Steve Murray, Purdey's Project Manager to get an evaluation. He told me it was "as tight as the day it was made" but very tired looking and that it would cost $15,000 plus cost of wood for Purdey's to restock and make it right. He told me it would probably sell for around $5000 as is. I then went and showed it to Barnett and Hoyt who were there. They confirmed that price was right about what they'd pay for it, if they were buying, but they weren't.

I decide to buy the gun and sent it to Abe Chaber. Abe was able to rejuvenate the stock (he was quite surprised at the figure he found under the grime), add the leather pad and clean up the metal.
I'm very happy, especially as the original dimensions are extremely close to my own.

Purdey was also kind enough to send a shot of the book original entry.

I ended up with a nice game gun for well under $10K. But this gun was still in proof.

You might want to call around and see if any dealers have something like it in their stock. Maybe mechanically sound but too raggy to sell and they don't want to sink money in in this market. From my experience the gun you are contemplating is over priced, especially in the current climate.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Terc;

Broken stock and all the other issues wrong with that Purdey leads to the decision that it is worth what used Purdey assisted opening mainsprings are worth today along with the other action, barrel and fore end parts. Therefore it is worth $1,500.00 to $2,500.00

Recoil Rob;

Abe really did turn a sow's ear into a silk purse for you. Beautiful vintage Purdey now.

Last edited by bushveld; 11/28/20 03:45 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Bushveld.

This is the cautionary tale of my first restoration project many years ago. I post it here from time to time as a warning to the unwary. The gun also came out beautiful but it's a BLNE.

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=226517

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.