April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hoot4570, SKB, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 412 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,803
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
tut Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I've owned 2 both of which were fantastic hunters. One lived to age 14, the other is 11.5 years old. All field bred lines. Both of my goldens weighed in the 62 lb range. Both were excellent duck dogs, but did double duty of upland. Both were fantastic retrievers and sweet as pie.

I have since moved on to pointing breeds, and it appears my Breeder has retired and moved to Ohio. Far as I know Top Brass is still in business and they were the other kennel I researched when I found my current breeder (fireside out of Keysville Va).

foxes rule
PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for all the recommendations, please keep them coming. My wife is getting me a subscription to the Retriever Journal for Christmas.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Goldens have become known by too many owners as cancer retrievers. Ive lost four to cancer so far over 25 years. My next dog will be black. Love goldens around kids. They will take just about any abuse kids can dish out and never flinch. I had a chessie who would nip at your boot or leg if you missed a shot. Different kind of dog. If I lived back on one of my farms Id have one. But you must fit your dog choices with your needs and circumstances.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeah, set aside an additional 10k for healthcare costs for a golden. Hips, knees,elbows, eyes, cancers, treatments, surgeries, transfusions, and they only live 10 years.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
Yeah, set aside an additional 10k for healthcare costs for a golden. Hips, knees,elbows, eyes, cancers, treatments, surgeries, transfusions, and they only live 10 years.

Not if you pick'em well.

11 yr, 4 months, 10 days, yesterday, in his 12th season. Zero health issues. No picks but he was out there again today for a Surf and Turf Sunday. Now I have birds to clean.

Last edited by BrentD; 11/15/20 04:56 PM.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lovely, rare, dog there Brent. Hunt it in good health.
I hope the OP doesn't end up with an expensive heartbreaker.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

CZ, I have had 5 goldens so far. They all made it well past 10. None had surgeries or any other major maladies. They were all spectacular dogs. They aren't quite so rare as you think.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

SunGold retreivers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

here is what they say about the different retrievers as far as biddability goes
You train a Golden with words,
a Lab with a stick
and a Chessie with a 2x4!!!

LOL

Coming from a Field Bred Springer Man!

Last edited by Brian; 11/16/20 04:02 PM.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Thirty plus years ago I was breeding goldens, labs and chessies. I explained the difference between the three breeds like this using breaking into a house as a guide.

If your house gets broken into, the Golden most like will watch everything and if they are pet nicely by the bad guy most likely will leave with them. A lab will bark and raise all types of hell but wont leave your house and will stay watching things after the thief leaves. The chessie will terminate the thief in your house and if in a bad mood will track down and kill his entire family for good measure.

They flip side was kids could pull a Goldens ears almost off and they wont even grow. A lab will pull away to keep from being hurt. The cheasie wont tolerate as a rule. Finger or worse might get trimmed back. So I would not allow a chessie to go to a family with just a small yard and small children. Just not a good combination. Goldens were a great match for them instead.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.