April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (AGS, Mark Larson, Jimmy W, AaronN, 1 invisible), 395 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,788
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi,

Here is the situation, I have children, boy girl twins (Thomas and Audrey), they are a bit more than 7 and a half, I am teaching them how to shoot bb guns. I promised them a Golden Retriever puppy when they turn 9 in March of 2022. The plan is to teach both the puppy and the kids to hunt at the same time.
If you have any first hand knowledge of good breeders of hunting Golden's, preferably within 1000 miles of Kansas City Missouri, please let me know. I would like start contacting breeders, getting on waiting lists, etc. I plan to hunt mostly pheasants. I live on the Kansas side of Kansas City, so I would also love to know of good places to train both the puppy and the kids how to hunt.

Fred

Sidelock
Sidelock

A wise breeder once told me, You dont teach a dog to hunt. You teach it to hunt with you. If you have a dog that doesnt hunt, you cant teach it to, and you need a different dog.

My vet is part of a clinical study at the U of M trying to figure out why Goldens life expectancy has become so short. A neighbor owns a pair of litter sisters, not hunting dogs that I can tell, that are 8 years of age, and look 14. His prior dog didnt make it to 10. The dogs receive excellent care, by the way.

There is something going on out there, with that breed. I would suggest you do your research, and be open to at least consider other breeds.

https://www.morrisanimalfoundation.org/golden-retriever-lifetime-study

Congrats on having kids interested in bird dogs and hunting.

Good luck.

Best,
Ted

PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Ted,

I've often admired your posts, and I agree with you, You dont teach a dog to hunt. You teach it to hunt with you". I don't know how it will turn out, I suspect that it will be more that the dog teaches the kids to hunt. But a Golden Retriever is a non-negotiable, I know that it is harder and harder to find hunting Golden's versus show dogs, but that is why I should have started earlier.

Fred

Sidelock
Sidelock

Catchphrases aside, the best goldens are not hard to find. They are hard to pay for - if someone will sell you one.

You have the timing about right. March '22 is coming quickly, but I would think it is doable, or close to it.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

One trainer/writer gave a long explanation of what hunting dog training can do. The short version is: The dog was either born a hunter or he wasn't. The training can only help you control the dog. But the dog is the one who knows how to find birds. So, everything you do to control the dog has to potential to reduce the dog's performance in finding birds.

I recommend you get subscribed to Retriever Journal.

Be aware and educated on hip dysplasia as it's prevalent in retrievers. Talk to the breeder about the sire and dam and their lineage for insight to their health.

Last edited by Chuck H; 11/14/20 12:36 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Be brave and get a Chesapeake! :-) Lagopus..

Sidelock
Sidelock

Phys doc-I belong to a bird dog club (for 20 years) and personally own 3 field bred spaniels that I trained. I have some recommendations for you. I have also asked a club member who has GR's to recommend a field bred golden kennel.

First, I would contact breeders that only handle field bred lines. Ask them to share their pedigrees, which should show hunt test or field champs. From what my golden retriever friend tells me, dogs from this breed should be tested for a number of things before breeding...eyes, hips, elbows, heart and I am not sure I am getting all of the tests here.

When you settle on a prospective litter to buy a pup from, tell the breeder what exactly you want out of the dog, and ask them to pick a puppy from the litter that has the right personality for you. That might work, although pups change as they mature. It will assure that you get a pup that you can handle if you have never trained a dog.

What really worked for me was joining the bird dog club 20 years ago. That provided me with experienced training partner/mentors, and access to birds. Bird dogs need birds starting pretty young!

I'll post the recommendations I get from my contact here or PM you when I get this, probably this weekend...Good luck!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think what Little Creek comments about makes sense. In the past, I've had the luck to hunt a fair amount of pheasant behind two good, solid goldens, but they do not seem to come along with much frequency. There are pitfalls, but if you can get a dog person to select the pup, I think you are better off.

If it were me, I would not take the kids along to help pick a puppy, they will be plenty happy with which ever one shows up. You still have time to lobby them for one of the shorter hair "goldens". When you do get the pup, see above where it's not the worst idea to get going with plenty of birds right away, meaning the kids may not understand shooting pen birds, if not see if you can locate a started dog. Fun times, best of luck.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fred-
Sent you a PM with breeder info. My dad has had goldens for the last 25 years despite my best efforts to convert him to the brown dog club!
Goldens are tought because they are the most popular dog in the US so finding a kennel that has solid hunting lines is well worth your effort.

good luck,

Lance

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have seen litter mates that were as different as night and day. You are going to need the assistance of the breeder, who should know what you want before the litter hits the ground.
With the Setters I have had a choice on, I bring a fishing pole with a pheasant wing, and watch the pups reaction. After a bit of that, I plop my butt down and figure out which pup likes me. Totally unscientific, but, I have had a few good dogs, and at least one great one.

Might as well mention, you dont always win with a dog, temperament, health, intelligence. I believe having kids around from puppy on will be a plus, regardless.

Best of luck. Few days in life are as good as new puppy day.

Best,
Ted

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.