March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Lawrence Kotchek, Karl Graebner, Licensed to kill, KDGJ, Argo44, 1 invisible), 835 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,023
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Every reference I've seen to Lefever Arms H grades says they have "Best grade London Twist barrels." Knowing there are no absolutes in the classic doublegun world, does anyone know if H grades ever had fluid steel barrels? Appearances can certainly be deceiving, but I just looked at a 16 ga that sure looked like fluid steel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The H with Carman Fluid Steel was offered about 1908

Iron Age, April 2, 1908
https://books.google.com/books?id=5U0cu_tHZy8C&pg=PA1139&lpg

Hunter-Trader-Trapper, August 1912
https://books.google.com/books?id=Uy7OAAAAMAAJ&pg=RA4-PA73&lpg

I've tried to find a Carman mill without success. Unless it's this fella
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_Salisbury_Carman

Sidelock
Sidelock

There are H grade Lefevers with fluid steel barrels. Nowhere near as many as with twist, however.
One of the regulars here has an H that was factory built with one twist and one Damascus tube.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause
The H with Carman Fluid Steel was offered about 1908

Iron Age, April 2, 1908
https://books.google.com/books?id=5U0cu_tHZy8C&pg=PA1139&lpg

Hunter-Trader-Trapper, August 1912
https://books.google.com/books?id=Uy7OAAAAMAAJ&pg=RA4-PA73&lpg

I've tried to find a Carman mill without success. Unless it's this fella
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_Salisbury_Carman

Excellent information. Thank you!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
There are H grade Lefevers with fluid steel barrels. Nowhere near as many as with twist, however.
One of the regulars here has an H that was factory built with one twist and one Damascus tube.

Best,
Ted

Thank you, Ted. I would love to see that damascus hybrid.

Sidelock
Sidelock

After Ithaca Gun Co., purchased Lefever Arms Co., side-plated Lefevers were assembled with a mix of remaining parts. I have a DS marked frame with cock indicator pins in the side-plates and Twist barrels.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a straight grip H with 32" barrels. Original? Can't say 100% but the gun sure looks original.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My H has a beavertail forend.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John E
After Ithaca Gun Co., purchased Lefever Arms Co., side-plated Lefevers were assembled with a mix of remaining parts. I have a DS marked frame with cock indicator pins in the side-plates and Twist barrels.

I have a couple of these twist barreled DS grade guns with cocking indicators and dolls head rib extension, and have seen several others with this scarce configuration. None of them exhibit any indication that they were assembled by Ithaca.

Ted and Drew were correct about H grades being built with both twist and fluid steel barrels. I own a couple fluid steel H grade guns. I'd kinda lean toward Belgium as the source of Carman fluid steel tubes though. But that is only an opinion based upon where many Lefever twist and Damascus barrels were sourced.

The Robert Elliot books and most sources say that the H Grade was only produced in 12, 16, and 20 gauge. But several years ago, I bought a 12 gauge H on Gunbroker that turned out to be a 10 gauge with 2 7/8" chambers. It is the only example of a 10 gauge H grade that I have encountered.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith
Originally Posted By: John E

I have a couple of these twist barreled DS grade guns with cocking indicators and dolls head rib extension, and have seen several others with this scarce configuration. None of them exhibit any indication that they were assembled by Ithaca.

There are several indicators to help identify Ithaca assembled Lefevers. My gun has several but I have been told the "P" stamp on the forend hanger is always Ithaca. Maybe I have been mislead?

John

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.