April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (ChiefAmungum, eeb, bushveld, Ted Schefelbein, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 608 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,465
Posts545,078
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#583233 11/02/20 11:47 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This suggestion may be obvious to many, but I've never seen it discussed. On internal stock repairs fiber glass cloth may allow stronger fixes than epoxy alone. It's available in thin sheets that, because they're loosely woven, can conform to quite varied contours. When you have limited space to work with, cloth may give a stronger fix.

Bill Ferguson
Boxlock
Boxlock

Hi i have used it on shotgun forends
Glue the crack then cut a groove across the crack
and lay in the matt and coat with epoxy
Never had one come back
Sydney

Sidelock
Sidelock

You can put me down as very traditional, I prefer to use slow set epoxy and a Brass staple across a crack after closing it. Using this long standing method I find they do not come back for a second fix.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Boxlock
Boxlock

Hi i m sure that method would work just fine
The ones i fixed were the rear of shotgun forend like Franchi
trap guns
The wood is very thin and the staple would
be very close to going through the wood
I could use a 1 x 3/4 patch of glass mat x 1/16 thick
Sydney

Sidelock
Sidelock

Or just go full metal jacket...

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

I like a stainless or brass nut and bolt dropped into a butterfly mortice, filled with epoxy - if the crack will allow that under the metal.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fiber Glass does not have the strength in thin patches or sections. This is what I use a little more traditional but will far out perform fiber fiberglass in every way. Stainless Steel mesh or Brass mesh it can be purchased in many different sizes. The mesh in the photograph is Stainless Steel it holds the Epoxy well and can be stretched to shape and of course stronger than the wood.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

I once owned a 1969 Chevy 1/2 ton pick-up with a step-side bed, that rusted out pretty badly. The bed was especially bad, and when I was done with it, it had more fiberglass and epoxy than a boat or a Corvette. The rear fenders actually both fell off at different times, and I used fiberglass cloth and epoxy to glue them back on. A little sanding and paint had her looking good again.

It was really great stuff that made a lasting repair. I drove that truck for 7 years and then sold it, with 186,000 miles on the odometer, for twice what I had paid for it. It was unusual that a truck of that vintage, with that many miles, still didn't burn oil, and had never been overhauled. Three guys were waiting for me when I came home, and I sold it to the first in line for my asking price. The guy didn't even want to take it for a test drive or hear it run. I shoulda' asked more for it, I guess.

That bubba repair was fine for a rusted out old work truck. For walnut gun stocks, I prefer Titebond II wood glue and more traditional methods.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

damascus, I'm glad to learn about the metal meshes. Keith, helpful as ever. Do you need a bean bag chair for your mother's garage?

Bill Ferguson

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.