March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jason Dubois, gunmaker, Lloyd3, 1 invisible), 328 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,001
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Son drove back from Alaska to Oregon with the 870. You'll recall Canadian customs gave him a hard time last June and four days to get out of Canada. He was not carrying the shotgun and indeed might not have been able to cross if he'd had it. His wife brought it up to him on the plane....all anyone talks about in Alaska apparently are bears and salmon.
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubb...3789#Post573789

Anyway, return trip....he had the shotgun with 18" slug barrel and 28" bird barrel and two different magazines...a 5 round and 10 round. Problem is when he got to the border he'd misplaced the key to the case. He spoke French to the customs lady and she let him across with just providing the serial number without having to tear open the case.

He reached the US border in 2 days driving non-stop - Canadians seem to be extremely paranoid about Americans these days. No problem crossing back into Washington State...did not have to open case and the US customs people seemed to like it that he was carrying a shotgun coming back from Alaska. Hopefully a harbinger of better times to come.

Last edited by Argo44; 10/29/20 10:53 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

8 months of MSM fear mongering will do that.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

And Americans thinking Canadians are idiots and instead of actually going to Alaska they are taking a holiday in Canada. Ya I think we have the right to be suspicious of any American who says they're driving through.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

It gave me a little smile. A pickup heading south looking loaded up like the beverly hillbillies move was probably more worried about hitting a little weather than the ski slopes. Not to worry, indications are the boarder seems locked down to essential only crossing from the US, and it doesn't seem like Canadian law enforcement has been too shy about door knock quarantine compliance checks? I thought Canada has been doing smartphone tracking anyway, one would think an early flag for the boarder folks would be someone claiming they don't have a phone?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Im curious.

Why all the hoopla over bothering to bring back on 870?

It would seem for almost no money at all, he could forward it to anybody he wanted to.

I dont understand it when people choose to make their life far more difficult for no apparent benefit.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
Im curious.

Why all the hoopla over bothering to bring back on 870?

It would seem for almost no money at all, he could forward it to anybody he wanted to.

I dont understand it when people choose to make their life far more difficult for no apparent benefit.

Exactly.

Gene, this is the second time you have brought this up and the second time you seem to have a problem with Canadian behavior. Admittedly less this time.

The thing that always gets me is, love them or hate them, Canadian laws are different than the US and while you may not hear much about it, we hear regularly about dumb ass Americans who wonder why they are in shit because they broke some Canadian law. CANADA IS A DIFFERENT COUNTRY WITH DIFFERENT LAWS AND ATTITUDES. We see report after report of some astonished American who is having trouble grasping that one must adhere to the laws of the country one is in. Don't like it, don't come here.

And I'm saying this as someone who very much appreciates Americans, appreciates what your country stands for in the world and who thinks my country has it's head up its own ass. But when I go to the US I make a point of making sure I am not breaking the law of the country I am in and I don't assume your laws are the same as the laws of my country. Should be painfully obvious. Americans in America don't have much time for dumb ass foreigners. Same applies when it's the American who is the dumb ass foreigner.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: craigd
It gave me a little smile. A pickup heading south looking loaded up like the beverly hillbillies move was probably more worried about hitting a little weather than the ski slopes. Not to worry, indications are the boarder seems locked down to essential only crossing from the US, and it doesn't seem like Canadian law enforcement has been too shy about door knock quarantine compliance checks? I thought Canada has been doing smartphone tracking anyway, one would think an early flag for the boarder folks would be someone claiming they don't have a phone?

Craig try being a Canadian traveling into the US with your Beverly Hillbillies pick up and see how you get treated by US Customs. I can tell you it won't be a smile and a wave on through.

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

CB, it wasn't a complaint....it was simply a "here's the state of the border for anyone transiting Yukon and BC." It is what it is. Now that the Maritime Highway has reopened, when he goes up next March, he'll probably take the Ferry. Gene

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Its an 870 right?

A short-barreled 870 is more common than a toothbrush in Alaska.

Just saying.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
....Craig try being a Canadian traveling into the US with your Beverly Hillbillies pick up and see how you get treated by US Customs. I can tell you it won't be a smile and a wave on through.

I hear you about respecting another country's laws. It's little things, but we usually make sure the car insurance, cell phone service is good, let alone not feeling like getting arrested. I was commenting about how I think things are currently, for a US citizen tring to drive into Canada for non essential reasons.

In normal time, yours has been my experieince. Driving into Canada we tend to get smiles and hellos, why not it's free? Reentering the US, we usually get the faux hard a$$es, but haven't had the pleasure of a cavity search, so far.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.