March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Bob Jurewicz, lagopus, Jtplumb, SKB, craigd), 871 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,017
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Rigby latch--much shorter than the ones that extend nearly to the tip of the forend--was used on most Manufrance Robust sxs. Never had any latch issues with those.

When New England Arms folded, Cabela's ended up with a bunch of FAIR OU's. Closed them out at very attractive prices. Standard configuration was round knob/SST/vent rib. But you could order them with straight grip/DT/solid rib. Some options that are not available on most OU's.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan - How do I like my FAIRs?
Sorry for delay in responding, but I've been tap-dancing the past number of days - readying for the deer season, winter, reloading, and range zeroing several rifles - LabRadar is quite the chronograph, after years and YEARS using a Shooting Chrony.
(The late) Brian Dwyer/GunMart, Brockville Ontario phoned me at work and said his FAIR O/U ordered guns of 2002 had arrived.
Went down to buy a 20Ga O/U and examined the nine or so available. Several IMMEDIATE "real KEEPERS" smiled at me. On spec, I decided to look at the three 28 Ga FAIRs that came in too. At this point I had never even fired a 28 Ga shotgun. Examined all three and one I simply would NOT release my grip on. Went home with it. Pretty sure the wood is Turkish, with nice figure and standard cast-off for a right-handed user. I was so impressed with it, a week or two later I gave Brian my order for my "semi-bespoke" DREAM 16 Ga O/U.
Asked that FAIR leave the barrels and butt-stock as long as possible, English hand, double triggers, funeral finish with gold lined border encompassing the sideplates. IIRC Shooting Sportsman magazine had run a New England Arms ad with a FAIR with that "funeral finish" with surrounding gold line that raised my blood pressure. The Dwyers made their then annual January(?) trip to IWA or EXE and placed their (and my) orders. for the upcoming year. Six months or so later their FAIR annual order came in and my "semi-bespoke" 16Ga FAIR had arrived. It arrived - but due to a price increase Brian thought I would balk at, the asked for frame "finish"' was changed to a dot-matrix design that I figured I could eventually "live with" - as the rest of the gun was just so delightful. Anson forearm release and fretted action lever/release were standard.
These FAIRS (of the early 2000s anyways) were GREAT value for the money. I suspect Isodoro Rizzini (FAIR) makes the frames for MANY Italian firms. They aren't Piottis by any sretch - but IMHO the ones I saw and own are GREAT value for the money.
Have used both my FAIRS a "fair" bit and never had a problem. Very quickly learned to keep my right elbow HIGH when using the 16Ga with English hand.
If times ever "get tough" these two FAIRS and my L.C. Smith 3E SxS 12 Ga will be the last ones "to go".

Last edited by Ian Nixon; 10/27/20 02:50 PM. Reason: correction
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, Ian. I have really been impressed with my two. One is a Verona LX 692 Gold Sporting Combo in 28 ga. and .410, with 30" barrels. The other is my 30" barreled FAIR Iside Tartaruga Gold, in .410.

Very good guns for not a lot of money.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.