March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Roundsworth, Argo44, RWG, 3 invisible), 352 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,002
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 29 of 40 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 39 40
Sidelock
Sidelock

Golden hour Iowa bird from today. Made a long shot and then missed an easy one. (poor gun mount)

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dave, what's that white stuff? A Jim Dandy grits truck overturn?
Nice photos of bird, gun and pooch. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
Dave, what's that white stuff? A Jim Dandy grits truck overturn?
Nice photos of bird, gun and pooch. Gil

Thanks, Gil.

The part of Iowa I mostly hunt has been spared of snow the year, only an inch or two at most. It doesn't have the big bird numbers, but it's real pheasant hunting and you work for those shots. About 20 minutes after I got this one I had one explode behind me after I stopped to defog my glasses. Rattled me and after the bang-bang-damn I noticed slight throb of pain on my bicep where I mounted the gun. Grrr!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice tail on the one you got, Dave.

I'm hoping to get out 3 more times before it is over.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent, he was a big bird and only got one other his size this year in South Dakota. Im going ice fishing today, but I plan on at least one more Iowa day trip before it closes Sunday.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dave Erickson
Brent, he was a big bird and only got one other his size this year in South Dakota. Im going ice fishing today, but I plan on at least one more Iowa day trip before it closes Sunday.

I shot a pair of older birds (>1 yr old) a few days ago and just reaching down to pick them up, I could tell that one was much larger in body size than the other - maybe by 50%. Both were perfectly healthy and well plumed. I was sort of surprised by that, but I guess golden retrievers and humans come in all sizes too. Why not pheasants?

I killed a bird last week that was smaller and a very weak flier, but when I cleaned him, I found out why. He had been shot by someone else with a load of #4s. He was healing up, but had obviously been battling infection in his breast and one leg. I ended up tossing him, but I believe he may have survived had I missed him.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had read awhile ago that in South Dakota if you hunted on a pay basis that some of the farmers have, they had to keep a total of birds killed and then they had to supplement the wild birds with pen raised birds. I'm guessing this is the same now and wonder if other states that have a fair amount of wild birds if this is the case also.

I have seen some movie footage of guys hunting in a group and having a good time talking while hunting in South Dakota. When I was there years ago you didn't as much sneeze when walking. The dogs had bells on them, but that didn't seem to bother the birds. I had never seen that many pheasants and at the time Pennsylvania had a fair amount here in the eastern part of the state.....that was then.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Never heard about the pay for birds part. News to me. I don't pay for access, personally.

We talk while we hunt. But I do like hunting alone with my dog. He usually wears a bell although I have trouble hearing it. I don't like yelling to him so I use a Captain's whistle (sparingly) and the vibrator/tone buttons on his collar coupled with body language.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: David Williamson

I have seen some movie footage of guys hunting in a group and having a good time talking while hunting in South Dakota. When I was there years ago you didn't as much sneeze when walking. The dogs had bells on them, but that didn't seem to bother the birds. I had never seen that many pheasants and at the time Pennsylvania had a fair amount here in the eastern part of the state.....that was then.

David:

If you remember wild birds in Eastern Pennsylvania, you have to be in your sixties or older. I've lived in and around southeastern PA all of my life, except for a few years when the Army sent me to Alabama, and there haven't been wild birds anywhere around here since the 1980s. I miss them and put and take pheasant hunting is not the same by any means.

Rem

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looking good Gil. Looking to get on the Woodcock this weekend. I know they have missed me

Page 29 of 40 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 39 40

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.