Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#577979 08/17/20 10:22 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm struggling with the left barrel on my AyA 16 gauge. The barrel regulation appears to be fine. The triggers feel good and not heavy, but I measure about 3 3/4 pounds on the front and 5 1/2 pounds on the rear.

My BSS has 3 1/2 pounds pulls and I shoot both barrels just fine. My Rizzini has 3.5 and 4 pound pulls and I shoot both barrels just fine.

I just can't get comfortable with the AyA's left barrel. Not sure if it's the trigger, the full choke, or the gun in general.

Thoughts?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fix the trigger. Not sure what you are aksing. I had the same problem with my Cashmore until I got tired of it and fixed it. They don't have to be exactly the same. A little more on the rear trigger is not bad, but if it bothers you, then fix it.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Brent, I'm just wondering if others have experienced problems with a rear trigger that is a couple pounds heavier than the front.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dave Erickson
Brent, I'm just wondering if others have experienced problems with a rear trigger that is a couple pounds heavier than the front.

I see. Yes, I have had that on that Cashmore. The differences were greater than what you are seeing by about a pound or slightly more however, the left barrel was also somewhat erratic in what it would take to fire it from one shot to the next. That is a bit puzzling. I would have to double clutch and jerk the trigger and all manner of things. It sometimes went off about the time I would also be taking the gun off my shoulder miles behind the bird.

Anyway, having them more similar and not too creepy is more important to me than having them a specific poundage. I fixed mine with a combination of alterations that were pretty minor and identical to some of my rifles. Nicely, it is reversible and adjustable.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Too much of a difference in pull weights is no good. Recipe for a flinch. Get it fixed and enjoy the gun.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've found getting the pulls set to 3.5#'s on the front & 4.5#'s on the rear to be about ideal for most any use. Sounds like the rear trigger is def. too heavy. I've had double guns that simply got bad because the vehicle used in the lubricant dried out and they got gummed up, bought one at another time that was non-functional for the same reason. WD-40 has been known to also become a type of 'glue', if the arm is left unattended long enough. Where I'm going w/all of this is: send the gun to a good smith for a strip & clean and have him set the pulls as mentioned above w/no creep, assuming you like the way it fits you now. You'll then probably get a lot more enjoyment from it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Old gunsmith I knew used a trimmed turkey feather With just a bit of whale oil on it to give the lightest coating of oil on a trigger. Claimed whale oil never hardened and did not evaporate. I see it come up for sale on EBay for 200/pint. I know it must be fifty years old at a minimum. Surprised to see EBay let them list it. Ivory is long banned there. Hens teeth as well as common sense from DC is no longer listed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bad trigger pulls are an abomination, and should not be tolerated. You will never shoot your best with a gun that has trigger pulls that "get your attention", in any way. Hard, creepy, too much slack ....... all are bad.

Have it fixed, Dave, regardless the effort it takes to get it right. I agree about the trigger on the old BSS guns ........... they're darn good.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the insights. Yes, I'm going to have them looked at and adjusted. My three most regular shooters all have nice 3.5 -4 pound pulls and I think I've gotten more sensitive to heavy triggers. To the trigger!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Huumm- I've used WD-40 for years, ever since we used it in the Armory during my years in the USMC-- never gummed at all. Of my double shotguns, the one with the best trigger(s) pulls is my 1927 era Ithaca 12 NID grade 2E--hands down. Then my older M21 SST 12 gauge field gun (1939 era)-- Pre-WW2 gus are the best of the best-IMO RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.