March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (WJW), 795 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,013
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#577760 08/14/20 09:51 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

For the post-war son of a sailor, August 14th is always a sobering and a glorious day as I remember my mother and a nation who listened on the radio as President Truman announced the unconditional surrender of Japan.

We can debate the actual VJ date, it was the 15th across the date line or September 2nd when the documents were formally signed on the deck of the USS Missouri, but for our family and the nation today is the day the surrender was announced and a united country breathed a coast to coast sign of relief.

The flag flies proudly outside ...

... and Dad's "Navies" hang at the front door.

Ever grateful. Never forgotten.

Speude Bradeos
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank God for your dad and all the others like him.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

A very important day in history for me.

My dad was shipboard en route Okinawa to be cannon fodder for Olympic.

The Japanese had finally seen the light, actually two very bright lights.

We're supposed to feel shame about that.

I feel nothing but admiration for those responsible for bringing that conflict to a conclusion when they did.

It's the very reason I'm here.

Literally tens of millions of Americans and Japanese can say the same thing.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones

Are we? Can't say that I've ever heard that we should, nor have I ever felt any shame for that. Those two bombs easily saved 10X more lives than they took.

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mom was 15 when she heard the news. She ran home to be with my grandmother awaiting to hear news of her brother Tom's release from capture. He was crew on a B-25 Mitchell of the Air Apachees which was shot down on a mission over Wewak, New Guinea, on October 16, 1943. Radio Tokyo announced his capture with his home address given. At the time, the DOD (Department of War at the time) didn't have the new address so my grandparents knew he was alive at the time of the radio broadcast heard by ham radio shortwave listeners in the NW. He was never heard from again. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great tributes guys. I am really impressed with how the Japanese honored the surrender, but I am no fan of that mentality that could carry out a Bataan death march. Hats off to those great patriots who served the greatest nation.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: nca225
Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones

Are we? Can't say that I've ever heard that we should, nor have I ever felt any shame for that. Those two bombs easily saved 10X more lives than they took.

I just read a long opinion essay in a major Canadian newspaper less than 2 weeks ago specifically suggesting we should feel shame as Canadians for helping to create the bombs that were used on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. And that as a country we should apologize to Japan for our role in those events. The uranium was enriched not 1 mile from where I sit and type this right now.

So this is how it starts. Don't imagine that there aren't those who work daily to discredit the good that came from the careful use of those bombs at that time.

Thankfully the comments in reaction to the opinion piece were wildly in favour of the author education themselves and shutting up.

But this crap will continue to surface. That's what the left does. Attempt to discredit all institutions and re-write history.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

I like what he said Ever grateful. Never forgotten. Amen Brother!

Sidelock
Sidelock

As above.
Surely, surely. Great depth of gratitude owed to Truman and US citizens.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you ever spent some time really talking,and especially LISTENING, to a WW2 Vet Marine or Army Veteran who spent the war island hoping in the Pacific you could never feel shame for ending the War ASAP. We owe all of our Veterans a huge debt of gratitude. I salute them all!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.