March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (NZHunter, L. Brown, LGF, SKB), 230 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,976
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#577532 08/11/20 10:03 AM
justin Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What is the ballistic difference between Dacron stuffing and backing Rod in loading smokeless for black large caliber cartridges?
Is there any difference?

Boxlock
Boxlock

They both work great in my opinion. I find that backer rod is the easier of the two to use, especially in the straight walled cases. Just buy a size that is slightly larger than the case size and cut a length about 1/4 inch longer than the air space you have in the case. Stick it in, seat the bullet, and done. With Dacron it's harder to get the same amount measured out so you can have consistency from round to round. I think the backer rod is cleaner on the range as well. The dacron can make kind of a mess.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Sorry. I missed "ballistic" in your question. I don't notice one. If you were using a slower burning powder than most do however you can compress the Dacron more which might help in that scenario.

justin Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank You dearmer
My concern is whether the backing rod seals the charge behind the bullet as well as the Dacron

Boxlock
Boxlock

I'm assuming you're using lead and worried about gas cutting? I honestly don't know. My guess would be that the Dacron would be better in that regard but the backer rod is so cheap and easy why not just shoot a few groups and see?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Please excuse my ignorance but what is "backer rod" and where do you get it? I have used dacron for years without an issue.

Sidelock
Sidelock

WBLDon, you must be lucky. Charlie Dell in his Modern Schuetzen Rifle performed extensive testing on chamber ringing. This ringing had first been noted by the Frenchman who had developed smokeless powder and was reported later by Major Sir Gerrald Burrard in British shotgun chambers. In Dell's testing he found he could ring a chamber at will using dacron holding the powder to the rear of the case. The ring would form gradually at the base of the bullet. Depending on the quality of the barrel steel it might take 6 to 30 shots to form to the point that it was hard to remove the case from the chamber. He also did it using a thin cork wad on the powder. A thin cork wad off the powder by .20 or so did less damage but was still a factor. Kapok seemed to cause less problems than dacron. At one point he even discovered that he could ring the chamber with no filler/wad at all just by shooting straight up. The problem was that a high intensity pressure wave formed on a level surface of powder and propagated to the base of the bullet. The same powder spread out in the case was no problem. A full case of powder was no problem and a case completely filled with something like cream of wheat or corn meal over the powder was also no problem.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Charlie's experiments were a bit curious. Note that shotgun wads do exactly the same thing as dacron. Same fast powder too.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I thought the problem could occur if wadding was used over powder, with an air space to the bullet base? The shotgun shell concept may not be the same as using a reduced volume smokeless load for cartridges originally loaded with black powder?

Sidelock
Sidelock

craig, it may not be the same, but what part of the explanation for Dell's conclusions don't apply to shotguns? The laws of physics, etc. don't change.

I and a few friends have been loading bpcr cartridges with light loads of Unique, 4227, and similar powders, then pushing 3/8" of fine-pore floral foam over the powder until it crushes. This also holds the powder on the primer and creates a sizable amount of space to the lead bullet. Accuracy is greatly improved in most cases. No problems have been reported.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.