March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Lawrence Kotchek, Karl Graebner, Licensed to kill, KDGJ, Argo44, 1 invisible), 835 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,023
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#576818 08/02/20 04:35 PM
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It's starting to look like I'll be spending some quality time on a project up in almost-nowhere Montana starting in mid-August. There's also a good possibility that I'll need to drive up instead of flying (lots of COVID fears by the folks I work with and a serious lack of a convenient airport) so....I might get to drag along some bird hunting gear. I've searched online for a sense of what the opportunities for wing-shooting might be in that neck of the woods but nothing's popped up so-far. Does anybody here have any familiarity with the region?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd, Glasgow itself is not much to look forward to. There's an abandoned Air Force base and a lot of open space. However, the bird prospects are awesome.Pheasents open later than huns and sharptails.It's a great place, lots of public lands and farmer/ ranchers who don't seem to mind bird hunters. Just don't come expecting great restaraunts.

Bill Ferguson
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I have hunted the area quite a bit.

River bottoms hold pheasants, waterfowl, and Deer. The high country hold more sharpies and Huns. The block management program is the best public access in the West. You could do much worse for an area to spend some time in the fall.

That was great dog, all heart, still miss that one.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'll be riding a drilling rig on that abandoned air force base Bill, so I appreciate the warning about the food options. I guess I'll either be bringing my GF victuals along or be eating very sparingly. Steve, I just started to figure out the block management program you've described. Very exciting! This is a part of the world that I've never had a reason to explore so... I'm looking forward to the experience. My only true fear is that it will possibly overlap with my bird hunting in Minnesota this Fall, but it's out of my hands anyway. I'll roll with it.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 08/02/20 05:52 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

You only need one meal a day, the Breakfast Pizza at the Kum & Go will lay in the bottom of your belly all day. No problem with covid there as the coffee will kill anything.

The hunting is worth it.

Last edited by oskar; 08/02/20 10:29 PM.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My grandfather homesteaded 320 acres and taught school in nearby Opheim, Montana. We have retained the mineral rights (which probably amounts to nothing.) I've always wanted to take a hunting trip out there.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As others have mentioned, public access is there by the buckets. Bring your other fun guns and maybe your reloading fiddling, they have a good shooting range in town. I dont know about the gas station food, but I actually have had some pizza at Eugenes there, unfortunately that may be the highlight.

Eyes wide open about the off road conditions, the mud can be something else, and be ready for weather surprises, maybe have chains handy? With your crew, you will likely have help if you get in a bind, but you may learn the truth about cell coverages and cell gps optimism.

There is some world class fishing up there too at Peck, but that is big water. You will see some really good Muleys and Pronghorn out on the plains and nice Whitetails in the bottoms, run a decent grill guard if you can. You will probably be within a couple of hours of the upper Missouri River breaks, and go through that area on the way up. It is not always so easy winter traveling if you are planning driving visits back down to CO, or over to MN. Flying would probably be okay, as its easy to get to Denver through Billings. But, good luck if you had hopes of flying with any amount of gear.

I really enjoy the area, and I should try to get back up there now and then, but it is somewhat out of the way. Have fun.

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

craigd: Many thanks for all that! Would that I was up there for purely sporting purposes. Driving up there with a good double and some hunting gear will be the usual complication (keeping everything concealed and secure is always the challenge). Work generally involves 10 to 12-hour days, leaving little time (& energy) for much of anything else. My faint hope is that while in "down moments" (that aren't filled with laundry and other self-maintenance activities) I can look around a bit. Actually picking up the gun and walking around with it would be almost to good to hope for, but it is a carrot that I might just hold out for myself. What I'd do with anything I'd actually be able to bag would be the next challenge. Not insurmountable, but complicated none-the-less.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bring a rod. If you get a couple hours before dark, a couple miles north up the road on the west side, there's some trout ponds, on a road called Trout Pond Rd. Bring some skeeter repellent. I lived on that base from 62-65 and learned to hunt and fish there.

Last edited by Chuck H; 08/03/20 04:38 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Only a thought, but if you won't have a dog, see if you can hunt near work. You will almost certainly see an occasional pheasant that you can follow up at lunch time maybe? Like most places, by legal bird season, the days will be too short with those long hours you mention. There is a lot of elbow room up there, it may look relatively barren of game, but you may walk right past more than you might imagine. If you get one, maybe just breast it out in a minute or two and throw it in a frying pan?

Only a thought, but if your coworkers are not overly offended, you will probably see gophers around and near the site. Unless there is some restriction, none of the locals will think it is unusual for someone to have at it during a lunch break with a 22. If you happen to have something like you've showed in the past, there's bound to be a coyote pop up now and then. Neither need any license or have season restrictions. Don't mind me Lloyd, I just don't want you thinking to self isolate the whole time up there.

You should do some scouting for a handful or two of birdy looking cover, and drag your MN grouse buddy out west to beat some brush for a few days with his setter?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.