March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (eightbore), 827 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've only seen one 23 with straight grip double triggers they didn't make many of them. Was a 12 Mod\Full 28". And just a bit lighter than the standard 23 pistol\POW grip.

Have a 20 ga. 23 with 28" bbls. and had Briley install thinwalls. Has a lot of rounds through it I shoot it very well, heavy and main use for me has been clays. Friend of mine got me started with it he purchased 23's in both 12 and 20 new a long time ago. Eventually I figured that I needed to go get my own LOL.

Having actually owned one never had an issue with the trigger it is fine. The screws holding the forend latch hardware on have a tendency to work loose and shear. Even used loctite and checked them every so often but still ended up shearing 3 of them after 5K rounds or so each time. Not really much of a problem Midwest Gunworks still sells parts for them. And a few others. Don't look for the 20 ga. screws there pretty sure I bought all they had.

Last year shooting SC in Wi. half way through the course I couldn't open it after shooting a station. Ended up taking it to Alhman's and they got it running again cost was ~$125. If I recall the work order correctly a cross pin had failed and caused a few other parts to need to be replaced. What would be called cascading casualties in Naval Engineering. I didn't and don't consider the cost of repair unreasonable.

Have moved on to another more modern manufacture for high volume shooting with a SxS. But for the average shooter it would likely be fine and then some. Especially with that English grip and double triggers that is a rare bird. Really wanted a 12 Heavy Duck 23 but they only made 500 of them. Found out a few years ago that another friend of mine has one but not for sale. Things worked for me in the end however.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Someone at my club has a four barrel set of M23 Grand Canadian. .410, 20, 16 and 12 IIRC. Looked at it about 7 years ago. Because I’m known for being into SxS they wanted to know what I thought. Was not impressed. Tried to be diplomatic. CI, glad you liked yours.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

I currently have two. A 12 gauge Pigeon (28” barrels with a vent rib) and a Heavy Duck (30” barrels with a solid rib). I use them for traveling guns when I am uncomfortable taking some of my other guns; for inclement weather; or, hunting the salt marsh. One of my sons shoots the Pigeon a good bit around home. Between the two of us, they have had a good number of shells put through them.

Before I bought the Heavy Duck, I shot the Pigeon for about 10 years. I have been shooting the Heavy Duck for the past 4 years or so. When I bought the Pigeon, I sent it to Mike Orlen and had the chokes opened to IC and Mod. The Heavy Duck was Mod and Imp Mod when I got it. Both guns have digested a lot of 3” Challenger steel loads in Canada, a variety of stiff duck loads at home, and have been used extensively for doves and snipe. I occasionally shoot sporting clays with both.

Never had any trigger issues. Similar to Cold Iron, the only mechanical issues I recall dealt with the fore end and keeping the latch screws tight. If the screw(s) were not tight, I had ejector issues. I found lock- tite solved the issue for me. I did manage to break the stock once and Midwest Gun Works sold me are replacement. I also bought a “parts kit” of replacement parts from them. It fits in a small tin box and travels in my shell box. Never needed any of the parts from the kit, but it is a comfort having it at hand.

They are not lightweight guns, but I am fine with that. Other than double triggers and getting rid of the vent rib on the Pigeon, the only thing I would change is the sharp corners on the bottom of the receiver. Rounded off edges would be more comfortable for carrying the gun. It would be nice if I could find/make a splinter fore end and have choice between that and the beavertail.

All in all, the guns have proved to be good mid-level guns which have stood up to hard use.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I bought a Model 23 12 ga Pigeon in 1985 NIB for $885 at a local sporting goods store and paid an extra $112 for the case. It was my first side by side. It fit me like a glove. I shot everything from doves to geese with it, using 1 7/8 oz loads of lead 2's for the big ones. I sold it when the lead ban came into effect in the early 90's because I didnt want to shoot steel in it. Got 1600$ for it on consignment. The only fault I would mention is that in retrospect it was a heavy gun, weighing right at 8 lbs with 28 in bbls. If you dont mind the weight, and it fits, go for it. These days I lean toward 6 1/2 lb guns in 16 ga. for the field. Or a 32 inch 10 ga Zabala to shoot the 1 5/8 oz steel BB's.

Boxlock
Boxlock

I have had two Winchester Model 23 Pigeon grade guns, both 12 ga. 26 inch barrels. The first one, I still own, it is choked IC and Mod. it is a beavertail stocked gun. Found the length of pull to a bit short, but fixed it with a slip on recoil pad. The second one I sold about a year ago, it was also a 26 inch gun but with a straight grip stock, choked IC and Improved Modified. It just did not fit, even with the slip on pad. Both were fine mechanically, with the only complaint being the auto safety, which while it worked well, is (was) inconvenient for sporting clays and Argentine Flurry. I really like the one I still own, it has been successful at pheasant hunting and the above clay games.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.