March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (jake van dyke, HalfaDouble, dogon, Ian Forrester, Mills, 1 invisible), 551 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#576481 07/27/20 11:43 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I normally hunt ducks from the bank, but this year, I think I'll do a little boat hunting to get into some new areas. I have a small, 14" aluminum boat that I'll use, and I would like to put a ramp or step on it for my dog. Something that works over the transom would be fine. I don't have much use for the motor.

Gus is 68-70 lbs in fighting trim. He will be a few pounds heavier in early teal season. I hate dragging him over the gunwales. Gotta be an easier way.

Does anyone have an interesting design for a step or ramp that has worked well?

Last edited by BrentD; 07/27/20 11:45 AM.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think it comes down to if you can convince your dog to use it and how stable you think your boat is. If it's a low and tippy boat, the pup is going to make the feeling worse when he jumps off or paws around to climb on. The practical solutions I have seen involve the dog getting a partial foothold, something that can be moved and doesn't extend far from the boat, that lightens their weight and cuts down on the flayling. Then, the hunter hauls so they can control what's happening. Be glad Gus isn't 80 lbs. and maybe practice some before the season starts, mostly if it will be new for Gus.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Craigd- I agree on all counts. (First time? smile smile )

I plan to use the transom to minimize tippyness. I do not plan to use a motor.

Someone suggested an old tree stand platform as a starting place. I like that idea. I found some images of this with google.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent, I saw this one by Mo-Marsh:

<https://www.gundogsupply.com/momarsh-ramp-stand.html>

...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Buddy made one which looked a lot like the one above, that was made out if expanded metal used on steps. Two steps and it was hinged to fold up and out of the way. He placed it on the side of the boat but over the transom would work just as well. He found it was important that the lower level was longer than the middle one so the dog could get his rear legs onto it.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I saw that MO-Marsh setup. Looks a bit ungainly, but effective.

Thanks for the tip about the bottom being longer. Makes sense.

I'm thinking of trying something where the ramp is parallel to the transom. Trial and error will figure into this quite a bit, I suspect.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just get a fiberglass pi-rogue. It will be sunk anyhow when the pup jumps out so when he returns with the duck he can just swim back into it...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

If it's legal for your waters, and I suppose if the water is big enough, hook up a motor. A three or four mph putt putt will really expand the options if you allow just a half hour extra time. Just have a plan if it konks out or some weather rolls in.

One of those hang over the edge hook setups is good for a small boat. Even if it's just a two or three wrung ladder, as soon as the dog feels a paw on it, he will settle down and try to boost himself up. Have options, the back of the boat could end up tucked in some marsh grass. I do wish you great fun out in the field, if boat hunting is relatively new, keep it as easy and simple as possible, so it doesn't become a pain after newness wears off.

edit to add, Geo's way is also much easier for you to get in and out of, as long as you don't get water over the top of the waders.

Last edited by craigd; 07/27/20 03:34 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

You can always rig a way to set 2, 6-8 ft poles on both sides of the back of the boat. 2 loops and a pin, have many holes to adjust depth and shove them to the bottom to stabilize boat ( usually at Transom). Make them so you can connect the 2 and double as your push pole and deke retriever. I have seen boats with 2 in front and back, dog getting in the back wont rock the boat. Much more stable shooting platform also. Just dont forget they are there can go really bad!

Last edited by Jtplumb; 07/27/20 03:55 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Many years ago, I hunted with a buddy out of his small jon boat that had four verticle tube sections welded or maybe bracket bolted near each corner. It just had a nut tacked to it and an L bent bolt to snug down on the push poles. For two to shoot out of that little boat, the two poles with the duck beaks sticking up had to go on the side facing the decoys, and the other side of the boat was snugged into the cattails. Jogged my memory, of some pretty good central Wisconsin duck water and times.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.