April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ted Schefelbein), 1,067 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones
That half moon (for lack of a better name) clip is easily lost.

That type key is properly called a Woodruff key. Wonderful little things that are most often used on tapered shafts and mating hubs. Not sure why Benelli would have used one, not being a Benelli owner. Because of their design they do, however, make assembly of some mating parts much easier, as the design allows for the key to be "tipped down" on the end accepting the hub or other part, then rotate into perfect alignment as the part is pressed onto the shaft fully.

And, thanks for the clarification, OC. Well done. It was the "free" part that seemed odd. Best to you.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's not a key Stan.

Part #17 on this diagram from Brownell's.

https://www.brownells.com/schematics/benelli-u-s-a-/m2-trigger-assembly-sid913.aspx

It's made of wire.

Apparently, some models have a snap ring there instead.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
Cold Iron,
I have used Tri Flow for guns and Tri Flow for bicycle chains. The latter just yesterday. But I am doubtful they are the same thing or maybe their formula changed over the years. Both had teflon, but the former was suspended in oil I believe, while the latter is some other milky fluid that evaporates quickly leaving just the teflon behind - which has a lot of bike chain advantages. My Tri Flow bottle that I used for guns is still around, but I have refilled it many times over with NAPA ATF instead.

Anyway, there may be more than one version of it out there.

There is a new version of it out there for those that want to be "green" and less toxic based on soy instead of mineral oil. Never used it and have no plans to I'll stick with the original. Was bad enough when they decided to jump on the CFC bandwagon to save the hole in the ozone layer years ago. It used to have a really strong banana smell, I kind of liked it. Now it is more of a hint of banana since they changed the formula to save the world. yes they do make multiple products.

I use the spray most often but on the Benelli's and pumps more times than not the drip bottle for spot applications. Like Shotgunjones said you only want a small amount on the rails of a Benelli. And really like their grease for choke tube threads. At one time I used anti seize on choke tube threads, used to go through 5 lb. buckets of it in the engineeroom on ships. But is a mess to deal with and the synthetic grease is just as effective but a lot easier to deal with. Although the older I get the more I hate choke tubes in general.

I also use ATF but only for cleaning my guns in a modified version of Eds Red mixed with Acetone. Sperm whale oil seems to be in short supply as of late and Type 3 ATF is a good substitute for it.

A lot of our pumps and turbines used Woodruff keys in the engine room...

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is what I use, but one of them, only on bike chains

Last edited by BrentD; 08/04/20 01:23 PM.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
That half moon (for lack of a better name) clip is easily lost.

That type key is properly called a Woodruff key. Wonderful little things that are most often used on tapered shafts and mating hubs. Not sure why Benelli would have used one, not being a Benelli owner. Because of their design they do, however, make assembly of some mating parts much easier, as the design allows for the key to be "tipped down" on the end accepting the hub or other part, then rotate into perfect alignment as the part is pressed onto the shaft fully.

And, thanks for the clarification, OC. Well done. It was the "free" part that seemed odd. Best to you.

SRH

At the same time we were getting LSA by the case free we were not getting bore solvent or WD 40. Many guys to include me bought those from home. Some guys were using gum out and other carb cleaners for carbon build up which stripped the finish off guns and we had to clamp down on that. The only solvent I was seeing at the time was the stuff the motor pool used in the parts cleaner vats.

Things change over time and by unit, but you tend remember shortages and ridiculous abundance. Similar to the huge quantity of Perrier Water we had available to us in Desert Storm, the only problem being they were glass bottles and all the cardboard boxes seemed to be water damaged.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think Jones is correct. I knew two guys that worked Animal Damage Control for USDA and hazed blackbirds out of sunflower fields day after day from aircraft. They shot cases of shells weekly. They took their Benelli's apart, dumped them in barrels of gasoline, and reassembled them the next day. Never a problem with either gun. But personally I wouldn't be caught dead using one of those machine guns on game. Going to buy some Tri Flow and give it a try....will it hurt wood?

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's not the gun that makes the sportsman Hal.

The Brits generally consider repeating shotguns an abomination and game destroyers, yet they have no problem with a man using a pair of classics with an assistant to keep up a high rate of fire.

Done skillfully, that's faster than I can shove shells in a Benelli playing a 'flurry' game at clay targets.

I like automatic shotguns of all designs. They are as much the history of this sport as any other type.

Do they represent 'progress'? Matter of opinion. They are fun to shoot, and the better ones have dynamics that facilitate good results in the field and on the clays courses.

Problem is, I like them all. I'm just happy pulling a trigger... or two triggers as the case may be.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yep mostly personal taste. I had good results with a klunky military (parkerized) Savage copy of the Model 11 Remington with a Cutt's Compensator. Drew it out of Special Services on weekends and ended up winning the Quantico skeet championship with it in 1956. Never did get used to the debris blowing back in my face however. My dad and his two buddies traded in their doubles and bought Rem. 11's before WWI. He always talked about the time they killed 15 canvasbacks with 15 shots on the pass at Hovland Lake that once existed north of Rothsay, MN. So I sort of considered semiautos guns for gamehogs back when there were no limits. He went back to a double (Nitro Special) back in the '30s and started me out with a Stevens 311.

I do like to look down my barrels for obstructions when in a muddy boat in dense vegetation. Plus all I shoot are reloads. Definitely do not want to fool with caps, springs, spacers, and rings just to clear a barrel. My hunting partner's 11-48 iced up so bad one time he had to beat it against the gunnel to get at the operating handle. He bought a Weatherby Orion before the next duck season.

Sorry to get off topic. To get back on, I have a bottle of Break Free I wipe guns with before putting them in the closet. Works for me as a rust preventative.

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Since there has already been a fair amount of thread drift, I'll add this note on SBE's. Hunting bud uses one exclusively for our forays hunting geese on cut over corn fields. One morning his became a non-functioning non-shot. Nothing could be seen to be wrong. He had to use a borrowed gun that morning. Back at the hotel I dismantled it trying to ascertain what had happened. Finally realized that he must have sat the gun down in the corn stubble w/the bolt open when we were getting comfortable [we were shooting lay out blinds] and picked up a minuscule bit of corn stalk or chaff and it was essentially invisible due to the black moly grease where the rotating bolt's head went to battery, but it was enough to keep it from going all the way home. It wasn't much, size or thickness wise, perhaps not even .125" x .005", but it was enough to keep the bolt from going fully to battery and made the gun inoperative. I only found it and realized what it was after wiping all of the grease out w/a combination of bent cotton swabs and toothpicks, when it came out on one of them. His gun functioned just fine afterwards.
--

On double gun lubricants, I like grease on the hinge pin and action's nose where the forearm fits against it. And prefer any of the synthetic oils like 'Minuteman Hi-tech gun oil, tw25 &c. favored by the 'run & gun' crowd for other places like locks, triggers, ejectors. I wipe them down w/a sheep skin sprayed w/Corrosion X most of the time, but have Eezox as well. Absolute best bore and plastic cleaner [from wads] I know of is Quick-Shot Bore Cleaner. Its no longer being made and you do not want to get any of it on the wood's finish. It was sold in aerosol cans. I was very fortunate to buy two cases [12 cans in a case] of it shortly before they went out of business, giving the first case away to shooting friends as Christmas presents and retaining the second. I'll be very sorry when the last can is gone & I'm getting close, but having to stop shooting for some time due to the Wuhan virus has delayed its consumption. Ed's Red does the job too as will MC-#7 firearms bore cleaner from Shooter's Choice, but its not as quick or as convenient.

I'm of the opinion that the most important thing is keeping the gun clean and freshly lubricated, more so than what exact product you are using. I've used Lubri-Plate white #105 grease, Super Lube, Military grade turbine oil and extreme low temp lubricants, Rem-oil [both with & without the 'rust preventive'], Kreighoff & Perazzi lubricants, Moly grease and others at one time or another. I also experienced a SS S&W revolver have the cylinder freeze up that had been stored for a long time w/WD-40 as the protective lubricant. More WD-40 loosened it up, but after that experience cleaned it all out and went back w/Corrosion-X and have never looked back. Had that revolver been used periodically, it might not have stuck like it did. It wasn't and it did. Just saying.

Last edited by tw; 08/05/20 01:06 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
This is what I use, but one of them, only on bike chains

Oh now you are just showing off with that can of Sperm Oil LOL :-)

Been almost 3/4's of a Century since you could get that.

Spent my first 7 years in the Navy up and down the West Coast deployed out of bases, except for a year in Wa. in the yards. In 83 took the USS Coral Sea around the World. They flew me back to get my FJ55 Iron Pig and worldly possessions which was guns, reloaders, and camping gear. Walked to the end of the pier so I could say that I actually been around the world then got on I80 and headed East.

Only stopped for gas the whole way back then not a lot of 24 hour stations so would pull in at night and wait for them to wake me up in the morning when they opened. Besides that I only made one stop. In Iowa....

Not sure how they are now but back then only a lobby and a desk I was expecting to "shop" around. But they had a catalog that you could order from. Already knew that I wanted the screwdriver set. Had a lot of the books including gunsmith kinks, etc. Lady at the desk must have felt my disappointment and asked if I wanted to sign the guest book which I did. But wasn't sure what to put where I was from. I am in there in the book though. Not that anyone will ever look in it.

I have the same anti slip router mat on my reloading bench. Although this is a really old picture before I got the automate that Ben down in Iowa invented and eventually sold to MEC as the 9000E. Have a lot of presses now mainly 9K MECS for shotgun. And they all can be run by the original automate.

And good memories. Thank you for that.

They haven't made 12 pounds kegs since the mid 80's. My Toller back then was underfoot and I picked him up on a whim and parked him in the keg and was able to snap a pic before he jumped out. That was a long time ago. But a picture I treasure.

It's not the gun that makes the sportsman Hal.

The Brits generally consider repeating shotguns an abomination and game destroyers, yet they have no problem with a man using a pair of classics with an assistant to keep up a high rate of fire.

Done skillfully, that's faster than I can shove shells in a Benelli playing a 'flurry' game at clay targets.

I like automatic shotguns of all designs. They are as much the history of this sport as any other type.

Do they represent 'progress'? Matter of opinion. They are fun to shoot, and the better ones have dynamics that facilitate good results in the field and on the clays courses.

Problem is, I like them all. I'm just happy pulling a trigger... or two triggers as the case may be.

I am afflicted by the same disease!

And would be honored to be squaded with you any time.

For the last 2 years have tried to stay with my SxS guns for clays and have. Last year picked up a Cordoba 30" end of life for ~1K already knew the 30" SS was the way to go when they first came out. Only put around 500 rounds through it because trying to stay with my SxS guns. Grew up with Ithaca 37's because where I grew up if you didn't shoot them or an 870 you must be a Communist in the 60's and 70's. Or even worse, a damn flatlander from Jersey or Philly.

About the H&K Benelli guns my Ex FIL bought one of the first ones. He gave my son his O\U Browning's and other O\U's with receipts from purchase to refinish. He shot a lot and so did I. After 24 years of marriage to his daughter when she left to go "find herself" we still remained best friends.

After many years of shooting he landed on the Benelli and had one of the first ones imported to the US. 28" and setup for left hand. He shot at least 200 rounds of skeet a week plus hunting and sporting clays with it for years. After ~60K rounds it started to have problems ejecting shells.

Happened to be "back home" with him and we put it in the vise in the barn. He had never had it apart. The mag tube was full of seed heads and debris. Trying to take the stock spring out through had me worried with how much torque we had to apply. told Jack that we should brace it better and we did. Finally figured out that Benelli had used locktite on the stock bolt screw to hold the spring in. Asked him if him if had a torch which being an electrician he did and we heated it up and busted it free.

Was as dirty as the mag tube spring with crap. Had dial up internet and found out the spring was compressed an inch and a half beyond spec. We cleaned everything up and stretched the spring to specs. Has worked flawless since then and the gun is sitting in my safe. With his other guns. Because it is a 28" and doesn't handle the best for me or my son we don't shot it. But I will never get rid of it.

But you will never pry my 12 ga. 26" Benelli Ultralight from my cold dead hand when it comes to killing phez.

Which is not a joke. He called me before Rock Mountain was throwing tipples and was nervous and said he wished I could be there with him. We had a good talk but it will never be good enough.

He died of a massive heart attack shooting those triples the next day. I posted a tribute to him back then 11 years ago, but it still doesn't do him justice.

yes the good do die young

He was only 69

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.