March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
11 members (Dan R, Hoot4570, canvasback, 4 invisible), 348 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,985
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Keith, I clicked on your links, the problem is, they're confusing things. Yes, they sell lumber, but they also mill the logs.

The examples you linked to, are descriptions of their milling process, not board classification. In your first link, near the top it says "discover more about sawn lumber", if you click on quarter sawn, the page has two actual pictures of a white oak board. The first picture is of end grain, that is a rift sawn board, the growth rings are neither parallel or perpendicular to the board, they're angled. The second picture is of an angle board view, that board is quartersawn, the rays are prominent, you can see the end grain of the board and the growth rings are perpendicular to the board, unlike the picture above it.

Under those pictures is an illustration of a log cut into plain and quarter sawn lumber. The boards in the logs they are saying are quarter sawn are being cut in the process they describe as rift sawing.

Like I said, theres two different terminologies at work here, and this company is confusing the two. This is like wood finishes, people in the business are loose and fast with information and they don't care if they confuse people.

Tim

Boxlock
Boxlock

I was taught in For 311 wood technology at Purdue that SKB's illustration would be correct.

KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ol'Forester
I was taught in For 311 wood technology at Purdue that SKB's illustration would be correct.

Only Keith fails to understand that. I see a pattern. If SKB says water is wet I suspect Keith will scream dry.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tim, in the first link I provided, there are two pics of a board, not a log, that are labeled as rift-sawn. The end grain is quite clearly about 90 degrees to the face. I could give you many other similar sources and illustrations, and we could go back and forth forever.

I knew that Queen Stevie would be back with another illustration to prove me wrong. I could do the same, and I could also provide both of you with extreme contradictions in the definition of rift-sawn from wood merchants and sawmills. In fact, I have already done so in the other locked thread. No need to repeat facts here for those who wish to ignore facts.

I also know why KY Jon started this new thread. It has been sticking in his craw for days, that I had the audacity to say that part of a statement made by him, and quoted by Queen Stevie as Gospel, was incorrect.

I didn't simply say he was wrong, as Queen Stevie does. I also spelled out my reasons, and backed them up. So I am not at all surprised to see his butt-hurt reaction now. KY Jon is another guy like BrentD, who says he IGNORES all of my posts... but is also insincere and untruthful about that.

Stevie also cited KY Jon as an indisputable gun stock expert, yet you will never see Queen Stevie demand pictures of the work he does as proof of his skill or knowledge. And we all know why. Homeless jOe asked KY Jon for photographic evidence of his claims for years here, and never got a thing. I never commented on that... until now.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
Originally Posted By: Ol'Forester

Only Keith fails to understand that. I see a pattern. If SKB says water is wet I suspect Keith will scream dry.

That's far too funny, but also far to accurate to be funny.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

If Steve says water is wet the turd will float to the top and spoil the thread, again, and again.... Please stop.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: prairie ghost
If Steve says water is wet the turd will float to the top and spoil the thread, again, and again.... Please stop.

No, I think a good meltdown of every thread is in order. Seems keith thinks so. Just looking at the threads lately, it is pretty obvious. If anyone is spoiling threads again and again, who would that be? Same ol' same ol'

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
Just looking at the threads lately, it is pretty obvious. If anyone is spoiling threads again and again, who would that be? Same ol' same ol'

I know that BrentD must be talking about his boyfriend Queen Stevie... since ol' gutless BrentD claims to IGNORE my posts.

Poor Brent... another loser who is upset that his cowardly internet doxxing intimidation scheme didn't go the way he and his pals thought it would. Brent is still running his one-loser campaign to boycott funding of this site. He told us how much he hates it here, and how great the Upland Journal forum is, yet he is right here all day, every day. He must be a masochist or some other perversion.

I know that responding to these attacks makes me the bad guy. But if it makes Brent and his boyfriend cry, then I'm a happy guy.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I own a WoodMizer and cut mostly mixed oak for railtoad ties, pallet material, some grade lumber. When I get to a really nice white or red oak, it will almost always be quartersawn. The difference between flat sawn and quartersawn lumber is night and day. From old gun books, I know the Circassian/Turkish walnut of the 1800s often went through several cuts. First as rough cants just to get it out of the country and onto a steamer bound for London, and then the cants were re-sawn into quartersawn dimension planks suitable for stock making. They air dried for years before being used. We make wooden tools and cutting boards from some of our best dimension wood, and it is incredibly stable. Really a joy to own. That is what I would want in all of my gun stocks

NRA Life
FOAC Life
PA Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs Life
PA Trappers Association Life
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: pamtnman
I own a WoodMizer and cut mostly mixed oak for railtoad ties, pallet material, some grade lumber. When I get to a really nice white or red oak, it will almost always be quartersawn. The difference between flat sawn and quartersawn lumber is night and day.

Experience counts. I have seen the same with my trees, as has anyone that has cut trees with each method.

_________

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.