March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (NCTarheel, Marc Ret, Lloyd3, Ted Schefelbein, 2 invisible), 338 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,003
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 46 of 52 1 2 44 45 46 47 48 51 52
Sidelock
Sidelock

Post was meant for a PM. Sorry

Last edited by Argo44; 10/09/21 08:10 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

You Pinfire guys might want to take a peek at this one. The seller thinks it is a Lefever:

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/913537484

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I got my Reilly pistol in. I think it is definitely English made. London proofs on the barrel and frame. Nothing else anywhere.

It is interesting though as out of my thousands of cartridges I don't have a cartridge that fits it. It takes a "smaller diameter" 12mm cartridge and the early French ones fit fine but the pins are not close to being long enough. If I move forward a decade+ there are Eley cartridges which do not fit it quite right even though they made a long-pin example. Carbine-length cartridges that sometimes have a longer pin do not fit either.
[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Clock Guns, Pauly Guns, Pinfire Guns and Pinfire Cartridges
Sidelock
Sidelock

Aaron....that is a very fine pistol. I have never ever seen a J.C. Reilly name on a center-break pistol or center-break anything. It is beautiful. It has to be before September 1857....but what an unusual gun! There is UK history here someplace.

Last edited by Argo44; 10/18/21 11:00 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Interesting pistol to be sure. Also interesting to see the centered, vertical arrangement for the pin. On single barrel game guns, the hammer nose is toed-in, but the pin is slightly canted off-centre, to give a clearer sighting plane. AaronN, from your picture with the cartridge with the long pin, does the pin act as a ‘sight’ to be lined up with the sight at the muzzle?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I cannot add anything of substance, but what a pleasure to have good photos. Thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, that long pin Eley cartridges does not fit in it all the way. It sticks out a bit and doesn't close. However, I do not think you would see the pin very well as the hammer would be in the way unless you were pointing at the ground, looking under the hammer.

Also, trying some more cartridges in it, it seems there are variances in the angle of the pins on some of these eley cartridges and far back on the case they are which is why some do not not fit.

Eley Cartridges:

Comparison of Pins:

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The spur on the trigger guard/lever suggests the pistol is to be carefully aimed… what constitutes the rear sight? And isn’t the protruding pin in the way?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by keith
You Pinfire guys might want to take a peek at this one. The seller thinks it is a Lefever:

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/913537484

Hi Keith,

It’s a pretty high price for that gun( like 2x - 3x too high). It’s a model 1849 Lefaucheux. If they took the barrel off it may actually be dated (many of this model were) which could tell if it was made by Lefaucheux before he died or by the company after.

I actually just owned a similar one for a single day this past weekend: https://casimirlefaucheux.com/t/lf-501-casimir-lefaucheux-model-1849-with-cripple-stock/421

Last edited by AaronN; 10/19/21 07:29 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeah AaronN, I thought it was kind of pricey too, even considering the amount of deep relief engraving. We see the same thing with ornately engraved German and other Continental shotguns, simply because the number of collectors is too small to create the demand that translates to high prices.

But I can just imagine what it would cost to have a gunmaker duplicate that work today. Anyway, I do appreciate the information and photos you guys post about pinfires. It is an interesting part of the evolution of firearms.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 46 of 52 1 2 44 45 46 47 48 51 52

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.