March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Argo44, DaveB, graybeardtmm3, Kip, bsteele, Jeremy Pearce), 803 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 34 of 52 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 51 52
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by lagopus
I previously owned one but regrettably sold it some years ago.
How many times do we end up saying this? We never learn...
Thanks, Lagopus.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I'd like to add this to the pin-fire line. Here's a 19th century shotgun shell chart (can't actually date it) showing Kynoch shells from the period but since it has pin-fires and center-fires it has to be around 1870:
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have an I.C.I. Eley Kynoch catalogue from 1936. They were still advertising the Eley "Brown Pin-Fire" capped cases for home loading in 12 bore and 16 bore then. I would suspect that the War ended any further availability. The illustration above will date from Kynoch's first catalogue issued in January 1882 until their final listing of this blue quality case in pin-fire which was in 1886 when only 12 bore and 16 bore were then offered. Kynoch was certainly still listing pin-fire cases and cartridges in their 1891 catalogue but in Brass, Brown Quality & Green Quality and they only seem to be in 12 bore by then. What he produced prior to 1882 isn't clear but certainly you illustration is from that 1882 catalogue. Well worth framing up. Very interesting. Lagopus…..

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi, By strange coincidence, I stumbled back across this site (which I had joined some years ago, but thought I,d lost it), when I returned home today, after dropping off 3 of my pinfires at Ryedale Auctions, here in the UK. They are to be sold on April 24th. I have been a keen collector of pinfire shotguns since 1976, when I bought my first one a Pape of Newcastle 12g. It had an unusual fitting on the left side of the action, held in place by 2 screws (with identical engraving to the rest of the gun, ) which I believe was made by the maker.Difficult to describe, this part ad a slot in it, and a thumbscrew which went into the slot.............trial and error (and my own affliction!) lead me to believe eventually that it was to hold a small item up to block off vision from the left eye! A master eye device! This was confirmed by Geoffrey Boothroyd, and a member of Sothebys gun dept. at a Game Fair at Chatsworth House, in the 1980,s........since 1976, I have collected pinfires, and English hammerguns. Not having deep poickets, my collection grew slowly, and I had to focus on what I found interesting, rather than on buying the very best. I looked for interesting patents and designs.
However, if I tried to talk about all I have owned, or handled, or seen, this post would take me forever to write! So I hope to keep adding to it over the next few weeks. I have been slowly disposing of my collection over the last 9 years, as no one in my family has the same interests as me. The 3 I sent to Auction today were 2 by John Blanch
and one by Masu Brothers. One of the Blanch guns had a grip safety, a hangover from percussion days. I believe it may have started life in Blanch,s workshop as a percussion, but it was converted to pinfire by Blanch. I hope this is of interest, I have hundreds of Boothroyd articles on shotguns going back to the early 1970,s. I also have over 1,000 gun catalogues, by all the UK auction houses covering the same period. My last 3 pinfires (a Purdey, a Perrins side lever, and a Mortimer) will be going to auction in July. Soirry this is all a bit jumbled, but when I came across this site, I just had to talk to someone about this subject, all my old collector friends have now passed on. David````````

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ivanhoe
Hi, By strange coincidence, I stumbled back across this site (which I had joined some years ago, but thought I,d lost it), when I returned home today, after dropping off 3 of my pinfires at Ryedale Auctions, here in the UK. They are to be sold on April 24th. I have been a keen collector of pinfire shotguns since 1976, when I bought my first one a Pape of Newcastle 12g. It had an unusual fitting on the left side of the action, held in place by 2 screws (with identical engraving to the rest of the gun, ) which I believe was made by the maker.Difficult to describe, this part ad a slot in it, and a thumbscrew which went into the slot.............trial and error (and my own affliction!) lead me to believe eventually that it was to hold a small item up to block off vision from the left eye! A master eye device! This was confirmed by Geoffrey Boothroyd, and a member of Sothebys gun dept. at a Game Fair at Chatsworth House, in the 1980,s........since 1976, I have collected pinfires, and English hammerguns. Not having deep poickets, my collection grew slowly, and I had to focus on what I found interesting, rather than on buying the very best. I looked for interesting patents and designs.
However, if I tried to talk about all I have owned, or handled, or seen, this post would take me forever to write! So I hope to keep adding to it over the next few weeks. I have been slowly disposing of my collection over the last 9 years, as no one in my family has the same interests as me. The 3 I sent to Auction today were 2 by John Blanch
and one by Masu Brothers. One of the Blanch guns had a grip safety, a hangover from percussion days. I believe it may have started life in Blanch,s workshop as a percussion, but it was converted to pinfire by Blanch. I hope this is of interest, I have hundreds of Boothroyd articles on shotguns going back to the early 1970,s. I also have over 1,000 gun catalogues, by all the UK auction houses covering the same period. My last 3 pinfires (a Purdey, a Perrins side lever, and a Mortimer) will be going to auction in July. Soirry this is all a bit jumbled, but when I came across this site, I just had to talk to someone about this subject, all my old collector friends have now passed on. David````````

Welcome to the pinfire discussion, Ivanhoe, I (and I expect readers of this thread) would very much like to hear of your pinfire experiences and collection, past and present!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ivanhoe, please share as much knowledge as you can about what you have learned. If not here then perhaps in a couple on line articles. We have lost too much knowledge lately if you consider the number of poster we have lost all took their knowledge base with them. Pity you are not on this side of the ocean. Some of us can come to the mountain for knowledge.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you for posting again, Ivanhoe. Please feel welcome, and continue to share what you've learned over your years of collecting and researching pinfire (spellcheck tried to replace pinfire with pinafore crazy) guns.

Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Ivanhoe, welcome back. As soon as Ryedale puts up its catalog for 25 April, I'll post pictures of your guns here. That would be of special interest to this comprehensive history of pin-fires which Steve Nash has put up.

And those 1,000 catalogs are amazing! I try to assemble information on all known serial-numbered Reilly guns for a history I'm writing. Most of those pre-2000 catalogs are not on line and I rely on old-timers remembering that this gun was sold in this auction and forwarding the references.

For now Reilly SN 10054, pretty firmly dated to late summer 1856, is the oldest known extant datable UK pin-fire (argueable). But it would be a treat to spend a week browsing through your catalogs. I hope you consign them to a library or to some historical society. Really someone should scan them and put them on the web. There are companies that do that sort of thing.

Last edited by Argo44; 04/09/21 11:26 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just woke from my sleep, and was amazed to find some of you had actually read my somewhat garbled post! It gives me impetus to carry on talking about my passion for pin-fires, something that I had lost when my 2 closest friends passed away. Let me say that I am NOT an expert on the technicalities of the pin-fire shotgun, I collected them for their graceful appearance, and the history behind them.

Argo, I sold a Reilly, at Ryedale a couple of sales ago....I,ll try to find if I still have any relevant info on this one......

I hope to be dropping in and out of this thread over the next few weeks, as I look back at the guns I owned, and the guns I handled, but could not afford! :-)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you for those kind words! I only wish I was a mountain of knowledge......more like a mountain of jumbled up, half forgotten knowledge! And age does not help memory........but I will try over the coming months.

Page 34 of 52 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 51 52

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.