March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Argo44, DaveB, graybeardtmm3, Kip, bsteele, Jeremy Pearce), 803 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you all.

Glad to be seeing more chapter and verse being quoted.

Good to see you posting Mr. Nixon.

Cheers!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Finally got my summer issue today and before I could think back over past favorite articles, I flipped through this new one and Sherman Bell hooked me with his long article on Double Guns for the Common Man. (I admit Im a soft touch when it comes to working mans doubles.)

Speude Bradeos
Sidelock
Sidelock

Maybe a little strange for an American, but living in Belgium I am also
a subscriber for the DGJ. My favourite article is what my Swedish friend Fredrik Franzen wrote in the spring issue of 2005. The German / Swedish Husqvarna Connection.
Cheers, Marc.

Boxlock
Boxlock

I truly enjoy the articles detailing a particular gun and its history, etc. Also the articles about ACTUALLY hunting with old doubles.

I find some of the posts here are somewhat critical of DGJ. I think that we are very lucky to have a magazine like this. I am certain it isn't a particularly profitable enterprise. The majority of bird hunters couldn't care less about double guns. As a 36 year old who is new to this passion, I feel blessed to be able to read a publication like it.

A Double Gun Journal, a roaring fire, a happy dog and a drink are just about all you need to be transported from the modern world back into a more simple time. I cant count the amount of evenings I was able to delve into some obscure story about a shotgun made 100 years ago and wipe away the stresses of a hard day of work and exposure to modern events, media and the present pace of life.

I cannot put a price on the internal peace that I feel when I leaf through the pages. Just knowing that there are other men and women out in the world who care enough about the history and magic that these old guns and the pastime that they represent makes me hopeful for the future. Literary opiates I tell you.

I subscribe to many publications. The only one I would be truly saddened to do without is Double Gun Journal.

p.s. this is a cool thread, thank you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Welcome to the world of double shotguns ar15meister!

It isn't surprising to me to hear about younger guys who acquire an appreciation for vintage double guns. And with your screen name here, it is apparent that your interest in firearms is not just confined to doubles... as is the case with many of us...

... then we have rocky mtn bill... the ANTI-ar15-guy. I'm sure you are going to get along well with someone like him who supports anti-gunners, and publicly voices his idea that we should just give up our 2nd Amendment Right to own and shoot semi-auto firearms.

My favorite DGJ articles were the Sherman Bell "Finding Out For Myself" series where he did destructive testing on Damascus barrels. But it is still painful to think of all the very nice Damascus guns I passed up for very attractive prices because of all of the Fake News we had been told about Damascus barrels. It had to be Liberal Democrats who told us all those lies.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ar15meister

I subscribe to many publications. The only one I would be truly saddened to do without is Double Gun Journal.

p.s. this is a cool thread, thank you.

Adam, nice post. When Galt SC re-opens to nonmembers we will have to shoot (at) another 100 targets.

Sidelock
Sidelock

John, do I get to come along again as well? I promise to bring the Daly! laugh

It was a good post from Adam. I sent him a text about it yesterday.

Last edited by canvasback; 07/16/20 03:29 PM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Having had a few days to think about it, I would agree with Bill that Walt Snyders and James Tysons Ithaca articles stand out for me personally. Also, I keep tabbed Wm. Allens Vol 5 article on the five variations of the NID.

And as for one article or story that stands strongest in my memory, Id have to say Ross Seyfrieds Once Upon a Dark Continent in the first index and reader. He is a master at work as he weaves the horrors of southern Africa in the late 70s and early 80s with the breath stopping beauty of the bush and, then in the next second, the heart stopping danger of a charge. His economy of words and subtle understatement such as a passing mention of his decision to leave behind his double rifle and take up a 416 magazine rifle for the rest of his Africa days instantly opens your mind to all kinds of avenues, foremost for me the parallel to Harry Selby and the endless reflection that that can entail.

Daniel and Joannas vision and labor of love that is the Double Gun Journal continues to be a rich source of enjoyment and fascination for me.

Speude Bradeos
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.