March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 298 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Craig- I especially enjoyed your article on the ten gauge L.C. Smiths. You don't have to apologize for your lack of journalism skills, as you don't have any, IMO.. You and I are brother waterfowlers from the get-go. I usually use a Model 12-12 gauge, and mainly pass shoot over decoys- it's been years since I have shot divers from a layout boat, but in a brooding snow storm, about as tough shooting as it gets. I have a 1930 era Ideal 12 LONGRANGE- 32", DT, AE. About 8 years ago, I had the late Master, Brad B. open the chokes from F&F to Imp. Mod for bismuth--and convert it from the HOT to std, DT--which I prefer. It is also a great turkey gun. Hope you'll do another waterfowling piece for DGJ soon. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

As with Brother Craig, I've been an on-again/off-again contributor to the DGJ since about 2001 and have zero journalism skills; my only qualification is a passion for double guns. And unlike what seems to be the background with the majority of Double Gun Shop contributors I also have zero engineering, mechanical, technical, or actual gunsmithing background and experience; my contributions are limited solely to featuring unusual guns and any history my research uncovers. I often find the history and events with which they are associated more interesting than the guns themselves. I don't write for monetary gain and whatever I receive is a pittance compared the time I have invested in a piece. In fact, based solely on my experience, gun writers are surely starving! My writing motivation is that I believe the information I share is important to the collecting fraternity, and because much of the information I've gathered over the years, if not published, will be lost when it comes my time to croak.
As for me personally, I sincerely appreciate what Dan and Joanna Cote' have done in providing the double gun community their beautiful magazine; which for the most part has been reserved solely as a venue for collectors to share their guns and experiences as amateur writers. As far as I know today, they still put this thing together on their kitchen table and run the entire operation from their home. Both Dan and Joanna are in their mid-70's now so I've often wondered how, or if the DGJ will continue when the time comes they either retire or are unable to continue? It's difficult to believe that this publication has been around since 1989; and although I'm now old and jaded and no longer get excited at finding that distinctive brown cardboard wrapper in my mailbox, I'll always remember my level of excitement from those early days. And although no one enjoyed Sherman's "Finding Our for Myself" series more than me, what excited me even more were the photos of the amazing guns featured in those early issues; the Uncle Dan Grade D.M. Lefever guns, the Dodge Brothers Deluxe Smiths, Tom Kidd's high grade Fox guns, etc.; guns I never knew, or even imagined existed. And I also always enjoyed Mr. Headrick's photos. It's photos, much more so than content, that sell magazines; and I agree that the photo quality we see now in the DGJ is not what it should be. Why is that so? I don't know, but I too have registered my complaints. For the record, Terry Allen has always done the photos for my articles. When we first collaborated Terry was using an analog camera and photo sessions were an all day affair. We'd set up a shot and he's take countless polaroid pictures until all glare had been eliminated; then he' take the analog picture for the magazine. Those photos included in the first pieces were outstanding; the Linneman Optimus Lefever, the L.C. Smith dead pigeon gun, the Charles Jarred Deluxe, etc. All were amazing in color and detail, and elicited the most comments I've ever received. Mr. Hedrick himself was also impressed and called one evening to compliment Terry's work. Terry now has all the latest digital camera equipment; and even though the proofs he sends are amazing in detail, that quality seems to never come thru in the published photos as many are a bit fuzzy and all seem to be a bit on the dark side and lackluster. Perhaps the best thing to come from those early efforts with Terry is that those photos exposed Terry's talents and catapulted him to international prominence as a firearms photographer. As a result been all over the world photographing gun collections, shooting events, and safaris. And for anyone who may care, I've got a few more pieces in the DGJ hopper; the next piece about an LC Smith Deluxe Grade live bird gun. This Deluxe was involved in an insurance fraud scheme; and the story revolves around how the fraud was uncovered, and the gun recovered decades later.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: topgun
....Both Dan and Joanna are in their mid-70's now so I've often wondered how, or if the DGJ will continue when the time comes they either retire or are unable to continue? It's difficult to believe that this publication has been around since 1989; and although I'm now old and jaded and no longer get excited at finding that distinctive brown cardboard wrapper in my mailbox, I'll always remember my level of excitement from those early days....

Pretty much how I felt trying to listen to Rough and Rowdy Ways.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gents,

I am 57 years old and I still feel the rush when a new edition hits my mailbox. I have the full set and I randomly pull out past issues and it seems like something catches my interest every time. I greatly appreciate the effort put in by the authors and the publisher of the DGJ. It will be a sad day indeed if it ever ceases publication!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: lonesome roads
Originally Posted By: topgun
....Both Dan and Joanna are in their mid-70's now so I've often wondered how, or if the DGJ will continue when the time comes they either retire or are unable to continue? It's difficult to believe that this publication has been around since 1989; and although I'm now old and jaded and no longer get excited at finding that distinctive brown cardboard wrapper in my mailbox, I'll always remember my level of excitement from those early days....

Pretty much how I felt trying to listen to Rough and Rowdy Ways.

Dylan is like driving a truck, lots of miles and hours under the wheels to see just a few sunrises.

Like Adak.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I almost forgot one of my favorite articles that was gun brand specific, "Why Should I Buy A Fox Gun?" by Tom Kidd. I think it was in Volume 11, Issue 1, Spring 2000. Everything Tom wrote is treasured by most of us "Foxers".

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: craigd
Interesting Stan, Seyfried 'talked' me into subscribing to the DGJ way back in volume II when he wrote a piece about the start up magazine in one of the big name gun magazines. I don't know why, but I recall his miniature Fraser rifle project.

It easy to forget all the nooks and crannies that the DGJ has visited. Maybe, flip through the index readers for ideas or just pull an issue out of middle and start there.

We read the same article as he also “talked me into subscribing” at that time.
I’ve Been reading his works since his IPSC shooting days. Something like 40 years. My how time flies!

Matt
aka Iowa_303
Sidelock
Sidelock

I just received the Summer issue today June 27th. They published my article Four Fancy Fowlers.

Last edited by Craig Larter; 06/27/20 07:42 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Congratulations Craig; looking forward to reading your piece!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I found the most informative and engaging the Sherman Bell series - Finding Out For Myself.
The finest and most entertaining "yarn" IMHO is found in the Volume 18 Spring and Summer 2007 editions. Tom Archer follows up a gun buy, which leads to the life of Charles H. Jerrod. Jerrod started "sweeping the floor" in the L.C. Smith/Hunter Arms factory in Fulton NY, was taken under the wing of the old head engraver - and the yarn just keeps getting better and better.
For some reason the story and the way presented, simply grabbed me.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.