April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (R. Glenz, L. Brown, CJ Dawe, 2 invisible), 424 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,232
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Larry, that was the second wave, coming in to reinforce the 504th and 505th the next night 12 July 1943. 27 C-47's were shot down, 400 paratroopers killed as Patton and Ridgeway watched in horror. More friendly fire and FUBAR was to come.

SGM Schmidt in our interview was amazing...talking about Korea, the Chosin Reservoir and Task Force Faith..the shattering attack by 10 Chicom divisions, the retreat across the ice and the attack with the Marines south past Koto-Ri, all he would say was, "it wasn't so bad." (Well if that wasn't bad, what's the definition of "bad."). But when he talked about the first day in Sicily ....he choked up.

Last edited by Argo44; 06/16/20 09:27 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Back in late April 2009, we crossed the border into British Columbia at Cascade at the north end of U.S. 395. Guess our number was up because they completely unloaded our Outback and looked at everything while I walked the dog. Every other time I've crossed that border they have looked at our passports or drivers licenses and the dog's shot record and waved us on. We have always been very well treated in Canada. When I showed up unannounced at their National Library to do some research, they sent a special courier to a remote location to get the materials I wanted, and gave my Wife and I a private room with our own copier, which was much cheaper to use than those at The Library of Congress!!

LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

In 1970 two friends and I drove up the Alcan (days of thick dust before the Canadian section was paved) in a VW bus in which they had built cupboards and stuffed them with a huge amount of bulk food, plus many varieties of herbal teas one of them was fond of. No problems crossing into BC with a shotgun back then, but along the way we heard stories of naive hippies being busted wholesale when crossing back into Alaska with weed. The US border guys took one look at three scruffy longhairs in a VW, rubbed their hands with glee, and told us to sit in their office while they tore the van apart. We quickly heard a shout of triumph when they found the first bag of green leafy stuff, then nothing for a long time. They finally came back into the office, sweaty and pissed off, and told us to leave quickly.

Damn that was fun. They never looked in the right place.

dal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've crossed into the U.S and back for eight years with multiple shotguns and ammunition with out any issues. Both parties were always very cordial and friendly. Be honest and forthcoming at any border, you'll be ok imho.

Life is too short to have a 'hate on' for so many things or people. Isn't it?
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

LGF....those were the days....sex, drugs, and rock&roll...though I opted out of option #2. (I too drove a VW Bus from return from VN to graduation - but without a flower on the door...and I was there when Jimmi Hendrix played Star Spangled Banner at midnight on July 4, 1970 at the Atlanta Pop)

There are three routes from America to America through BC and Yukon. Route 37...route 97....and route 1 (Alcan...built by American soldiers at the beginning of WWII)...37 and 97 ultimately join the Alcan. 37 is paved all the way - narrow, isolated, rainy. 97 and 1 have gravel sections - Son in an earlier trip had a truck put a stone through his windshield on 97.

Driving in the Taiga is not fun. From his descriptions, I had a similar claustrophobic-like experience in Afghanistan Farah Province....the distance was vast but somehow closed in...and it was like being in a closet for some reason.

Covid Virus times are not normal...but Canadian gun laws are changing too and from son are bitterly resented in western Canada.

Last edited by Argo44; 06/16/20 10:54 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Argo44

Covid Virus times are not normal...but Canadian gun laws are changing too and from son are bitterly resented in western Canada.

Yes, Canadian gun laws are changing, thanks to liberal left politicians. And the changes are not good for gun owners. But libtard gun owners like pmag and rocky mtn bill, who staunchly support the extreme anti-gun Democrats, just don't like it when anyone mentions the facts.

Originally Posted By: pmag
Originally Posted By: keith
You can vote for the anti-gun Liberal Left Democrat Joe Biden and a few more Democrat Senators, and get the same treatment without ever leaving the USA.

But libtard fools like rocky mtn bill continue to support anti-gun Liberal Left Democrats. You can't fix stupid.

Oh shut up.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Argo44

Yes, Canadian gun laws are changing, thanks to liberal left politicians. And the changes are not good for gun owners. But libtard gun owners like pmag and rocky mtn bill, who staunchly support the extreme anti-gun Democrats, just don't like it when anyone mentions the facts.

Originally Posted By: pmag
You can vote for the anti-gun Liberal Left Democrat Joe Biden and a few more Democrat Senators, and get the same treatment without ever leaving the USA.

But libtard fools like rocky mtn bill continue to support anti-gun Liberal Left Democrats. You can't fix stupid.

Oh shut up.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/what-second-amendment-11592350647

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gene you may not be aware of this. Your son was allowed to cross into Canada in order to transit to Alaska. If not for the Alaskan destination, he would not have been allowed in. Because of Covid, borders between our countries are closed in both directions for all but "essential" travel. That specifically means no vacations....no touristy stuff.

There are numerous reports of Americans showing up in some of our Rocky Mountain tourist spots like Banff, who are there on holiday and who have used the "transit to Alaska" as a loophole to get into the country. These are credible reports and people have been contacted by the authorities and been instructed to get out.

I personally think the border should be re-opened. But it is not. And I suspect, given the timing of your posts and your son's travel, that the less than friendly border officials may have had this dodge on their minds when you son showed up. Regardless of his paperwork.

Last edited by canvasback; 06/17/20 01:17 PM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

I see the Organ Grinder is after me again. Having sold his vote in hopes of protecting assault rifles, the OG finds himself in the position of having turned the country over to the rule of ignorance, stupidity, incompetence, non-stop lying, racism, and bigotry. Oh well. At least the armed thugs feel free to intimidate the BLM folks. That's what counts nowadays with the Organ Grinder's crowd.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rocky Mountain Bill, I plan to SPEND my vote this Fall on the second amendment. Top to bottom of the ballot. I don't consider that a sellout of BLM values, or using my vote to advance racism, bigotry, etc. I just consider 2nd Amendment issues to be of more importance to me personally. No accounting for personal political leanings. By all means vote as you wish!..Geo

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.