April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, Marks_21, 2 invisible), 1,041 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,116
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

No, I don't sell Amsoil.

Kerosene, Rem-Oil, and engine assembly lube have been all I've used for years with satisfaction but I needed something to fill out an order for automotive gear lube to get the free shipping so I bit on this.

It's Amsoil Firearm Cleaner and Protectant in the bottle and not the spray can. Yes, it's a bit expensive.

I've done routine cleaning on two 45 automatics and two shotguns so far, and I'm fairly impressed. It works quite well, especially on the ring of crud that always accumulates in the pointless 3" chambers they insisted on putting in my target guns. A few drops on a brush got that out of the barrels way faster than anything I remember ever using.

This stuff is near odorless, with a slight hint of Zippo fluid which isn't surprising since the MSDS shows heavy and light hydrotreated petroleum distillates, isoparaffin (naptha), and Dodecenylsuccinic acid (which apparently is a corrosion inhibitor).

I'd buy it again and I'm a hard sell on this sort of thing.

Last edited by Shotgunjones; 06/07/20 10:06 PM.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good to hear, but, if I ever buy any, it would be a pain getting rid of that guy up the street who sells it.

Made that mistake exactly once.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I simply purchased through their website.

No local direct marketing involved.

They have free ship on $50 through 6-30.

Amsoil is a boutique blender to be sure, and they do charge a premium. Their multi-level marketing has worked for them and they have a following.

Their gear oil in particular gets top of class reviews from many long time users.

I'm all for it. It's capitalism at it's finest, and you're free to buy elsewhere if you can find products that suit you for less.

I just ordered some engine assembly lube from them since I'm about out of the stuff made by the long defunct 'Coastal' that Jim Legg turned me on to 15 years ago. I have not found anything as good as that yet. Fingers crossed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Question-how do you appraise the superiority of one engine assembly lube over another. I simply went down to NAPA, purchased a tube of the white slime they sell, used it liberally with a quart of 10W30 motor oil, and ran the Chevy 400 I built 230,000 miles, selling it after the car it was in pretty much desolved in Minnesota salt.
Oil consumption was minimal. The exhaust valves were all white/gray.

Im serious.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

For it's intended purpose I wouldn't know.

I should have better explained that. Sorry.

My use is as a hinge pin and bolt notch lube on break open guns.

The Coastal product came in a handy small tube, stayed homogeneous, and stayed where you put it. That's how i judge the stuff. It is just a thin grease with extra tackifier. My empirical test is a Browning XS that has seen nothing but Coastal since new 15 years ago and shows essentially zero wear.

The Permatex product requires constant mixing and is too thin. Other grease products are waxy, even the synthetics. They just don't stick like the Coastal did.

I always hear that the type/brand of lube used for this application doesn't matter. I don't agree. The Coastal EAL was so much superior to anything I've tried that the search for a replacement is still on.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Engine Masters" on Motor Trend TV is sponsored by Amsoil. They've got an oil and lube for every configuration of build you can think of. Like Ted, I've always used the white assembly lube from the part store with the exception of some high lift flat tappet cams I've bought that had an assembly lube included with them. For expensive oil check out Royal Purple....too rich for me.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

I hope this doesnt explode into a hinge pin lube thread. I hate it when that happens.

That said, Mobile 28 or Mobile One Universal Synthetic grease have worked very well for me. I like the temperature stability, excellent lubricity, and the shelf life is the gold standard. It will still be an excellent lube a decade after you put it in place.

Try that with white lithium grease. I will agree, I wouldnt use the parts store engine assembly lube as a hinge pin lube, BUT, I would rather see and buy a gun that someone had made an effort to use something in that area. Anything beyond Vaseline would be OK in that regard. I dont know why people use Vaseline on guns. But, they do.

I typically use a toothpick to apply it. After use, it is right where I left it, and I clean it off and reapply.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Funny you should mention that.

I have a pound of M1 synthetic here from when I started playing with Garand rifles a few years ago. Most sources indicated this was the lube of choice.

I'm not impressed. My Coastal simply works better. Mind you I'm not preparing for the battle of Chosin. It's warm out or I don't go rifle shooting.

I've tried that Outers stuff too. Pretty much useless.

Gunslick just turns everything it touches black.

Lubriplate plates everything except where you actually want it.

This is all subjective of course. It's always my favorite stuff that gets discontinued.

They even screwed up Elijah Craig.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A pound is a small investment. If you are that disappointed, PM me and Ill buy it off you.
I use it on almost every nut and bolt on any implement around the place. It insures I can remove the steel bearings from the aluminum spindles on my wifes car (whoever came up with this idea should be flipping hamburgers in fast food hell for a decade or two) and Ive used it on all the guns for longer than I care to admit.
Perhaps you could get an engineering sample of Mobile 28, to see if that comes closer to what you are looking for?

I like the fact it stays where I put it.

Good luck.

Best,
Ted

PS When I buy an Amsoil product online, the local rep still dutifully shows up, briefcase in hand, wanting me to be his junior partner. I asked him for a catalog of products, but, he didnt have one.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I will in fact try the Mobil 28.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.