March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Roundsworth, gasgunner, R. Glenz, Lloyd3, Wild Skies), 837 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,017
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#573456 06/07/20 03:45 PM
Gr8day Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What exactly does that mean? I’ve heard this term for years and have never really understood except for it implied a higher quality. Thanks in advance.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The nut bearing variety of walnut, Juglans regia, also known as English walnut, circassian, Turkish, French etc.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

English walnuts have a thin, easy to crack, shell, American black, Much tougher nut to crack. Literally.

Out there doing it best I can.
SKB #573459 06/07/20 04:47 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SKB
The nut bearing variety of walnut, Juglans regia, also known as English walnut, circassian, Turkish, French etc.

So then, which variety of walnut does not bear nuts?

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

keith #573461 06/07/20 04:58 PM
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith
Originally Posted By: SKB

So then, which variety of walnut does not bear nuts?

Note to those with reading comprehension issues, I did not say the only variety of walnut that produces nuts. Juglans regia was planted for it's nuts wherever European settlers spread and the climate would support the tree. It also makes the best gunstocks.

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Note to those with thin skins, buckle-strap girls shoes, and sensitivity issues...

Black walnuts are also grown for their nuts, as well as their wood. Black walnuts are very tasty and desirable for eating and baking. But they are generally more expensive to buy because of the greater amount of labor required to remove the nut from the shell. And believe it or not, millions of guns have been stocked with black walnut. Many of those gun stocks have spectacular grain and figure. However, it is generally acknowledged that English walnut is somewhat better to work with when it comes to carving and checkering.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Even a Hickory has a nut. Bring a sledge hammer or rent a squirrel...Geo

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Billie kEITH, I am surprised to see you here this afternoon, I figured you would be out rioting and looting. I took this pic just for you. I switched to the buchsenmacher Air model for summer, it has three buckles. The more buckles the better I say.

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Welding slippers.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Since the question was “what does thin shell mean?”,

It’s the thickness of the shell on an English walnut compared to an American black walnut, which are much thicker, with far less meat, and which are a pain to crack.

I’ve only known a few gourmands who went through the tedious headache of the shelling process that American black walnuts require to get enough to eat.

Whereas, my old girlfriend, an accomplished dancer, could take an English walnut, clamp it between the cheeks of her buttocks, and crack them with ease. Hence the phrase “walnut cracking thighs”.

Returning to American black walnuts,
We did process them Growing up.

We removed the husks wearing an old pair of work gloves that were soon to be disposed of, (so we didn’t get stained all the way up to our elbows)and then we dried them in baskets in the rafters until winter time, where upon we were forced out into the garage and cracked them in a vice, and my mom picked the meat out of them (what a little bit there was), and she then stored the pieces in jars.
The flavor is very strong, making delicious pastries.

But again the amount of work compared to just buying a package of commercially produced English thin shelled walnuts, is night and day.

Out there doing it best I can.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.