May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (HalfaDouble, Researcher, 1 invisible), 988 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,526
Posts545,838
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#572617 05/23/20 06:08 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ok,you folks have been so great on the JW Purucker info that I have another question for you. Anybody familiar with Murat Cizeron?I have what is now a very well worn family sxs that came home from Germany during WWII. Beautiful little short 16 bore. Nicely engraved, worn but once beautiful Walnut. I'm mostly just interested if anybody knows anything about the company, not so much this particular gun. It's currently in my safe awaiting the day that my Grandson reaches the age when I can hand it to him. It's priceless to us.
Thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

Murat Cizeron; rue Badouillère 40, Saint-Étienne, France. Listed in 1892 as a gunmaker

Post pictures for more info.

Sidelock
Sidelock

likely some connections with this gun, see photo #25,

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/867816346

"it's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards."
lewis carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like Greybear has the gun. If so...analysis:

-- Ronchard-Cizeron is a well known St. Etienne barrel maker - running bunny is the trademark.
-- Gun is chambered in cm (6.5) vice mm (65) which was in effect only in St. Etienne from 1889 to 1912.
-- Proofed for PS powder - i.e. post 1900.
-- Canon de Surete and Guarante mean nothing but advertisement
-- Double Epreuve - is double proof, - see the double St. Etienne proof marks, at the time an indication of quality,
-- it was retailed by Guinard Art in Compeigne, NE of Paris. He must have been a well known retailer..there are guns on French sites sold by him:
https://www.auction.fr/_fr/lot/tres-beau...mpiegne-307235. There is a well known auto-parts maker in Compeigne named Guinard....it was taken over by the Germans and featured in the French WWII resistance. Retailers of guns in France were hardware stores that sold, scooters, bicycles, motorcycles, cars...etc.
-- "Raymond" on the lower rib could be the gun maker.
-- Chambered fo 16.8 (16 bore)
-- 393 is the serial number - but won't mean much.
-- Médaille d'or - gold medal I think won at the 1900 Paris exposition. will check on this.
-- Choke bored - It's choked but doesn't tell how much - French guns usually had a lot of choke
-- "Perfectionee". - means nothing but and advertisement.
-- there is a "L(?) Murat" stamp....Not sure what that would mean. Will research.

Last edited by Argo44; 05/23/20 11:44 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don’t get post 1900 proof with powder S. The gun was initially double black powder proofed, light hit on the second mark. Proof with powder S could have been post 1900, but, is more likely just prior.

Very hard to nail that down. I’d be very interested in the condition of the bores, and the measurements of same, 9” forward of the breech.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted, you're right...I got mixed up on PS and PT.

From the 1889 "Tour Eiffel" Paris Universelle...Awards for hand carried hunting guns:

Rough translation:
M. Murat-Cizeron, Saint-Etienne (France) - A newcomer among the gun makers of Saint-Etienne, M. Murat-Cizeron distinguished himself by the perfection of his work which reached nearly that of the best houses of Paris and Liege, and which is certainly above that obtained up to the present in Saint-Etienne. If his brother gunmakers copied M. Murat-Cizeron and would strive like him for perfection, to increase the elegances of their guns, without doubt French commerce would retain in Saint-Etienne the orders which have unfortunately, for a long time, gone abroad.

Frenchy - we need pictures of your gun. You'll have to put them on your desktop...go to a photo hosting site such as JPGBOX.com and down load them, then post the code here. We need the barrel flats, barrels, name on the rib, and action flats/water table in particular. Sometimes there is the retailer's name engraved around the trigger guard and sometimes there'a an interesting motive on the butt-plate.

I can post some Murat Cizeron guns from Naturabuy.fr but let's see what your gun is all about first.

Last edited by Argo44; 05/23/20 09:58 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That is a good looking gun.

That action is seen on many French and Belgian boxlocks. Some have a fancy back, like this one, and some are plain as the day is long, but, whoever sourced that action made a bunch of them for most of 100 years. Initially, I’d suspect Manufrance, but, I simply have no proof.

The holes in the flats spook me. Not a place I like to see ventilation.

Gene, the decorative bit in front of the trigger guard has a proper French name, that escapes me at the moment. It is typically seen on old, better quality French hunting guns.
Do you know it? I forget.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted...I agree on that gun....but I don't think the GreyBear posted gun is Frency's gun. But the name in front of the trigger guard on the Greybear gun is the retailer....

-- it was retailed by Guinard Art (abbreviation - I'll figure it out) located in Compeigne, NE of Paris. He must have been a well known retailer..there are other guns on French sites sold by him:
https://www.auction.fr/_fr/lot/tres-beau...mpiegne-307235.

There is a well known auto-parts maker in Compeigne named Guinard....it was taken over by the Germans and featured in the French WWII resistance. Retailers of guns in France were hardware stores that sold, scooters, bicycles, motorcycles, cars...etc. The company could have retailed the gun.
-- "Raymond" on the lower rib could be the gun maker.

When I see those armuriers who sold the guns, I always have to go looking at the local newspapers. It's such a trip back in time. The WWI Armistice was signed in a rail car in the forest of Compeigne.

I think this is the A. Guinard mentioned in the GreyBear link - It's a Parisian company but the Compeigne agency has to have a link.

From Compeigne during the war (WWI):
https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k5789763m/texteBrut
ANNÉE 1915 103

demandés en faveur des ouvriers boulangers, des techniciens de l'usine électrique, des pompes funèbres. On cherche surtout à améliorer les services publics privés, par suite de la mobilisation, de la plus grande partie de leur personnel. L'usine Guinard, réquisitionnée pour la fabrication des mitrailleuses, est utilisée par le sixième parc d'artillerie. Partout où cela est possible, on crée des ateliers pour intensifier la fabrication des canons et des munitions.

La troisième division de cavalerie au repos à Compiègne depuis trois (mois, quitte la ville le 10 mai pour remonter vers le Nord. Le 11, le Président de la République, en tournée sur le front, fait un court séjour avant de se rendre dans le secteur de Ribécourt.

Last edited by Argo44; 05/23/20 11:39 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

argo is correct, the link to gb is neither my gun or that of the original poster. i generally watch the french guns there, and had noticed the L. Murat marking on the action bolting. i suspected some sort of connection, based on age and quality.
best regards,
tom

"it's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards."
lewis carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Sidelock
Sidelock

There is a Murat family from Saint-Etienne who were famous lock makers/action makers ("Platiners" - see the Fr-English dictionary on this site) for a couple of centuries. Louis Murat was especially well known around the 1850's. This line (translated to English) might provide a clue (bad machine translation - I can do better) - Note the connection to Murat-Cizeron:

http://translate.google.com/translate?client=tmpg&hl=en&langpair=fr|en&u=http%3A//sysinfomac.fr/index.php%3Foption%3Dcom_content%26view%3Darticle%26id%3D21%26Itemid%3D83

That was a fine gun...it's been sold...wonder who bought it. Ted? Did you pull the trigger.

Last edited by Argo44; 05/24/20 08:37 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.