March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Gankai, Pat Gidley, Gerry Addison, Jtplumb), 791 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,012
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#572515 05/21/20 08:25 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

CZ, are you still good and above water?

I am hoping the best for everyone from MI involved in this flood. We don't get a lot of updates here.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

So far so good
Videos available on YouTube
Just look for Wixom lake dam

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Can this be true ?
Michigan Attorney General Nessel and Governor Whitless have their fingerprints all over the massive dam failures that destroyed so much of the Midland area.

Excellent article in Detroit Free Press. (Having problem loading link)

Federal regulators revoked the operating license for the Edenville Dam in September 2018 due to having inadequate spillway capacity, only able to safely pass 50% of the Possible Maximum Flood event. (PMF) The dam owner prudently lowered the lake level by 8 feet to provide storage capacity to "protect employees and downstream residents." At same time, Federal regulators ceded control and responsibility for the dam to the State of Michigan.

In April of 2019, the Michigan AG sued the dam owner for lowering the lake level without state permission, and illegally killing millions of endangered mussels. Dam owner refilled lake to full capacity. Back story was that thousands of upscale lakefront homeowners and the local county governments wanted the lake refilled to "Save Our Summer" and restore property values and tax revenue. The huge lake was quite shallow and the 8 foot drawdown created wide mudflats along all the shorelines.

May 2020 - the Possible Maximum Flood event occurred and without the extra storage capacity, the Edenville Dam overtopped and collapsed. Released flood waters destroyed the downstream Sanford dam and waters from both reservoirs raged downstream to Midland and on down the Saginaw River.

As our language becomes impoverished,,our thinking shrinks to fit.
Sidelock
Sidelock

As it happens, a fair number of people at my gun club live, or are used to live, on the lake.

It was the lakefront owners who did not want to pay an assessment to have a lake behind the Boyce power owned damn, that had only recently formed an authority to sell bonds to rebuild the dam.

This has been a more than a decade long argument.

Boyce lowered the lake level for safety and repairs, But the lakefront owners, through the Michigan Attorney General, sued to have the lake filled back up.

Understand, that the lake level has always been lowered in the fall, to prevent ice damage.

Its a shame, that the lakefront property owners had to drag their feet for years, before they came to the realization that if you want a lake you have to have the dam.

Now they have neither.

Last edited by ClapperZapper; 05/21/20 11:02 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just another example of the 21st Century American ethic: "MY toys come first!" We will see more such results, I fear.

Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great coverage on Fox today. Damn that water looks full of ugly brown sediment. Don't know what is downstream, but hopefully a healthier, free flowing upstream section will result.

Hal #572535 05/21/20 02:58 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

All flood water is full of sediment.
That's why floods make such a mess.

What is downstream is the world's, that is WORLD's, best Walleye fishery.

The DOW chemical company's world headquarters is in Midland, MI, is straight downstream, and they got an awful rinse as well.

The river is rising here still, as the surge continues downstream.
The heavily damaged, Smallwood, and Sanford lake dams are holding.

My peak should be Friday.

Weather here is beautiful.

Smallwood dam over flow
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rLuZuUwCyRA

Wixom lake post burst
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SF0c1eyuiJs

Sanford dam
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TQKZZu4BnUc

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

OK, been wanting to know,

Did the water come up to your yard?
Near the house?
In the house?
How deep?
Thanks
Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

It was about 9 feet deep in front of my house, but then it went down, now its at about 2 feet and slowly rising.

Because the Sanford Lake dam did not buckle completely, theyre expecting about 2 foot less surge in my area.

So, if my ability to survey is accurate, It should come up in my front yard but should not enter the building.
In the one video, that curved bridge is the one that I just set last summer. So that water is 35 feet deep because it was 35 feet from the top of the bridge to the to the surface of the river.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I really hope it doesn't enter the first floor of your house, CZ.

Best wishes friend. SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.