April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
10 members (Jimmy W, 67galaxie, Ian Forrester, Argo44, 3 invisible), 1,036 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,433
Posts544,716
Members14,402
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
bczrx Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello,

My LGS has an LC Smith Field that requires some soldering to make it work right.

I am not sure if the problems end there, but they begin there.

I am not sure of the exact terminology, but the 'lump' that is soldered under the barrels, to the space between the barrels, and that serves as the leverage point for the forearm spring to 'snap' into place- well, that piece has popped off the one they have.

The forend just kind of sits there, when the LC is vertical. Or falls off if horizontal.

I looked at it and there is about an 8" piece of rib that fills the gap between the barrels, that begins at the flat water table area of the barrels where the ejector rods sit, and extends to the leverage block that is used to pull the forend into place: and it just falls into the hand as one piece- from that raised lump all the way to the flat base area at the chambers.

I don't have pics, and can't really justify going into a gun shop to take pics of a shotgun I am not buying, search the internet for solutions, and then go back. Maybe it is ok to do so, but I am hesitant to- as it feels 'wrong' to me.

So, my question: is there a ballpark amount I could expect to have that 8-10" section re-soldered into place, so that the shotgun becomes usable?

The price on the shotgun is low- but I don't want to buy it and find I should have just walked away to buy another one. And I already have a Field LC Smith in good shape- so I don't need another of the same- unless the repaired shotgun is still a notable savings over what I paid for my 'first' LC.

However, I also do like restoring things to full function- if I can at least break even.

So- anyone have any ideas of cost, and/or suggestion of whom to contact for something like this? Please share- either in post or message me.

Classic 'field' SxS's are what draw me in- that way I can have more than one!
Sidelock
Sidelock

If its 50.00 bucks or less buy it, if not, hard pass!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Probably not worth messing with.

Instead, if it were a family heirloom from Grandpa, you might want to undertake what could become a costly project. A "Full Restoration" of an old SxS with blueing, case coloring, stock refinishing, etc. will generally run from $1,000 to $1,500; and take 6 months.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gold40

A "Full Restoration" of an old SxS with blueing, case coloring, stock refinishing, etc. will generally run from $1,000 to $1,500; and take 6 months.

And then figure on lots more for the hidden problems!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gunsaholic
Originally Posted By: gold40

A "Full Restoration" of an old SxS with blueing, case coloring, stock refinishing, etc. will generally run from $1,000 to $1,500; and take 6 months.

And then figure on lots more for the hidden problems!!
\

Yup. Every gun I've done.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you can't do the work yourself you will never come close to breaking even.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Agree- 100% there are tons of 12 gauge Field Grade (mostly extracxtor guns with DT) out there for under $450 in today's market. Pass this baby up- you say the movie "The Money Pit?" perhaps- don't but a beater and expect to get it repaired and end up with a Steinway of a Smith. Check with my friend Jerry Andrews in West (By God) VA-- he has many 12 field grade DT double guns- Smiths can have a lot of "sub rosa" flaws in the innards-- mainly caused by owner neglect and abuse, IMO-- RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Usually takes some doing to detach a Smith loop, and either rust or hot caustic salts are usually involved. It is attached with an indexing screw and silver soldered

Another issue is heavy homemade BTFEs without the factory reinforcing loop support. This is a later variant

So short of JB weld (that IS a joke) it is likely that an entire rib relay will be required to do the repair correctly.

bczrx Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks all!

I didn't think it was worth the work. I guess the only way it could be worth buying is for the parts, and just give up on the barrels.

But I won't try to restore it- I can see the folly of expecting to do so.

I like the Money Pit reference. I get that.

However, I liked the Mr. Blandings Builds his Dream House movie of the '50s better. Similar concept, if I recall correctly, but Myrna Loy and Cary Grant.

Classic 'field' SxS's are what draw me in- that way I can have more than one!
Sidelock
Sidelock

My record with buying fixer upper shotguns of higher potential than a field LC Smith, says " walk away, do not look back."
I now believe restoring double shotguns is pretty much a labor of love, and often not economic good sense.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.