April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
11 members (ClapperZapper, CJ Dawe, GETTEMANS, battle, graybeardtmm3, 2 invisible), 1,027 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,106
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

deleted - Not relevant...

Last edited by Argo44; 05/14/20 08:26 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 12boreman
Until one has used a vintage 10 gauge hammer gun with black powder to shoot clays and live birds they can make no comparison. There is something about a 10 that just settles into the hands and feels right. Especially with an English stock. Most of my 10's weight 8 to 8.5 pounds. Not much more than a 12 but they just feel better!

12boreman, the following is not aimed at you specifically. Rather, it is intended to add a bit of science to this discussion. I am an engineer steeped in science, but I still believe in magic weapons. The holder of a weapon he believes to posses magical powers is a step ahead of others. Magic comes from the combination of suitable weapon with inspired warrior. The warrior has need only to focus on his own performance as he knows full well that the weapon will take care of its performance. After all, it is magic.

Science. We need concern ourselves with three "fits." First is stock fit which aids in pointing the gun quickly and accurately. At minimum we need appropriate dimensions for length of pull, stock drop at comb and at heel, and stock cast at face and at butt. Note that these dimensions are not gauge specific.

Second is gun dynamics fit which aids us in changing which way the gun is pointing quickly and accurately. The factors are weight, teeter-totter balance, unmounted swing effort, and mounted swing effort. Swing effort is based on moment of inertia which in turn is based on weight and weight distribution. Gun gauge is not a factor.

Third is feel fit. It is based on the size and shape of the areas where the gun is gripped. Consider the wide difference in feel of tight pistol grip to straight stock and beaver tail fore end to splinter. Again, not gauge specific.

All three fits are individual to the shooter. The trick is to get all three in one gun!

And, if you believe in one gauge above the others, by all means shoot it. You will shoot better with a gauge you have faith in than with one you consider pedestrian.

Last item. Shoot guns you enjoy before ones you shoot well - life is short and can always use enjoyment. Gun aesthetics are not to be overlooked as a "fit."

Thus endeth this rant.

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

One of the better rants in the history of DoubleGunBBS Don smile

and this
"Shoot what fits you, what you shoot well, and what you enjoy shooting. If you find a gun that fits all three of these...never, but never, sell it!"

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Strangely, even though I am left handed most 100 to 150 year old guns fit me. I even prefer the ones with 3+ inches of drop!
So yes, I do believe in voodoo though it might contradict the laws of physics and nature. Shooting a 28 gauge might be a fun novelty but the 10 and the 8 if you are lucky enough to own one are the kings!

"As for me and my house we will shoot Damascus!"
Sidelock
Sidelock

I finally found my notes and yes it is a 25 E and the Date of Manufacture was 1926.

pod Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a very nice Hollis 10 pound 10 gauge 2 5/8 chambers that I never shot after reading all the comments on the short 10 I am thinking of getting some RST shells and give it a go although I do have some unfired boxes of brass 3 in. shells that could be cut down and used if I knew what I was doing as far as loading data.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

If the Hollis fits you, you will love shooting it. Definitely buy some RST shells and shoot them, then you will have shells to reload. Also, buy some "Little Skeeters" chamber inserts in 12 gauge then you can shoot lots of readily available ammo.

"As for me and my house we will shoot Damascus!"
Sidelock
Sidelock

The BEST and luckiest shot I ever made was with my 10 ga Parker Hammergun loaded with brass cases and 4 1/4 BLACK PWD 1 1/4 # 6 shot, Killed a nice Duck with it at 70 yds. I have that Duck mounted in my office

Sidelock
Sidelock

Canvas, you get that gun just jug choke it. It'll be just fine once again. I have three 10ga SxSs. The Parker and Remington are a touch heavy for walking the woods, but the Lefever would be fine. The nice thing about the short 10 is they can be loaded down to 1oz of shot. Rocketman likes science, or the math in loads, just think how short the shot column is with only 1oz of shot in a 10ga. There's hardly any setback deforming the shot so all of it stays round and in the pattern. And although I'm not sure, but I'd think the shot string would also be shorter. I also have GaugeMates for 10 to 12 but it's usually lots more fun shooting short 10ga shells. I run the shotgun venue at my club and for about 14 years [ not sure ] I've been putting on a SxS shoot every year. There use to be a elderly gentleman who dressed in period correct clothing who shot either a 8 or 10ga gun with BP. God did he love to load it up. The ground would shake and he loved to call quite loudly for the bird. I don't think he cared if he hit anything or not - he just loved to shoot. In the covered 5-stand the roof and walls felt like they we coming off. That was back before I acquired my 10ga guns. Back then I would shoot BP at the various SxS shoots in our state, but with a 12. If I were limited to one shotgun it would be a SxS 10ga. Why, because it can be loaded up and down for about anything. With the bigger bore the shot column is shorter so the patterns are better. Sorry, eat your hearts out 12, 16, 20, and 28ga shooters. That's the science, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. Carry on 12boreman, you got my vote.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Y’all are all a bunch of sissies. Adam Borgardus in his book, “Field, Cover, and Trap Shooting”, only used a ten gauge for all his shooting and preferred a gun weighing ten pounds, though for weaklings he allowed an eight pound gun was suitable and felt it was not too heavy to carry all day in the field after a bit of conditioning. He used it for everything from quail to waterfowl and also for the big money matches. His load was 4 1/2 drams and 1 ounce shot varying from #9 to #2, according to time of year and game he was shooting. Here is a page from his book. The book can be downloaded from Google Books for free. Interesting from another age.

Truly, the short ten is the universal gauge!

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.