April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Mike Harrell), 384 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,088
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Boxlock
Boxlock

Regarding the sticky opening problem. I experienced this with my Grulla 12 bore. I was loading AA hulls with WW 209 primers and the firing pins seemed to be dragging on the primer. I was advised to try Rem 209 primers in the AA's and the problem ceased.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stoneke,
Did you have to worry about pressures with that primer change?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stoneke
Regarding the sticky opening problem. I experienced this with my Grulla 12 bore. I was loading AA hulls with WW 209 primers and the firing pins seemed to be dragging on the primer. I was advised to try Rem 209 primers in the AA's and the problem ceased.

I've proven what you've said (regarding switching to Rem primers) many times.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

Unless it's a competitive league situation I never will understand why more SxS owners don't commit to shooting them for most or all of their clay targets. Not talking this site as it's about all about doubles here, but there's no greater shooting thrill than being on your game with a SxS either in the field or at the range.

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

BrentD,

All else being equal, switching from Winchester 209 primers to Remington's will generally result in lower pressure. They are 'softer' from a brisance perspective. They are also significantly higher, cost wise, than any other primer.

I'd not be concerned about that substitution in a published 7/8oz. load, but you can always have a few pressure tested for little expense, if you are concerned.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dave Erickson
Unless it's a competitive league situation I never will understand why more SxS owners don't commit to shooting them for most or all of their clay targets. Not talking this site as it's about all about doubles here, but there's no greater shooting thrill than being on your game with a SxS either in the field or at the range.

Not being argumentative, Dave, just offering another perspective which, I highly suspect, is in the minority. I love my S X Ss, and have multiples more of them than my O/Us, pumps, and jammamatics combined. But, when I shoot clays I want to shoot the best score I can. Even when shooting with my buddies I want to be the high man on the squad. They all do, too. It is a given, over twenty years of experience, that I shoot 4-5 birds lower, on a 100 bird round, with my best S X S than with my MX8. If I shoot a great score with a S X S, I would have shot a higher score with the P gun, period.

What I really do love is being the first off the dove field when using my S X S. Maybe I'm just too competitive. Some say that being that way takes away the fun ........ baloney. Nobody out there loves it any better than I do. When I shoot by myself I'm competing against me, constantly wanting to improve. Don't feel sorry for me, I'm happy as a hog in a wallow.

Just another perspective, not necessarily carrying any weight.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: tw
BrentD,

All else being equal, switching from Winchester 209 primers to Remington's will generally result in lower pressure. They are 'softer' from a brisance perspective. They are also significantly higher, cost wise, than any other primer.

I'd not be concerned about that substitution in a published 7/8oz. load, but you can always have a few pressure tested for little expense, if you are concerned.

Understood and makes sense. Thanks. I have never used or even seen recipes for Remington primers while surfing through recipes looking for low pressure loads. I've been going the Cheddite route for lowest pressure loads now.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Originally Posted By: Dave Erickson

Not being argumentative, Dave, just offering another perspective which, I highly suspect, is in the minority. I love my S X Ss, and have multiples more of them than my O/Us, pumps, and jammamatics combined. But, when I shoot clays I want to shoot the best score I can. Even when shooting with my buddies I want to be the high man on the squad. They all do, too. It is a given, over twenty years of experience, that I shoot 4-5 birds lower, on a 100 bird round, with my best S X S than with my MX8. If I shoot a great score with a S X S, I would have shot a higher score with the P gun, period.

What I really do love is being the first off the dove field when using my S X S. Maybe I'm just too competitive. Some say that being that way takes away the fun ........ baloney. Nobody out there loves it any better than I do. When I shoot by myself I'm competing against me, constantly wanting to improve. Don't feel sorry for me, I'm happy as a hog in a wallow.

Just another perspective, not necessarily carrying any weight.

SRH

No problem, Stan. Just different strokes. If I shot clays in a highly competitive environment I'd want every advantage, too. I just find it so enjoyable to shoot my SxS's I want to shoot them year round.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wish very much that I could shoot mine as good as I can my O/Us. Wishing don't make to so, tho'. frown

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I take great pleasure in shooting my sxs, especially my hammer guns, at clays and at game. I realize I'm probably giving something up over a dedicated target gun for clays, but they make me smile when I do well with them in a way that my o/u shotguns never have. And you get a lot of conversations started when you turn up with a hammer gun on a skeet field.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.