March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ken Nelson, SKB, skeettx, LRF, Lawrence Kotchek, Karl Graebner), 875 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I need some help. I am attempting to fit a replacement stock to my 1937 Win. Model 12. This M12 belonged to my dad. The original stock was replaced years ago with a clone and I am going back to the proper period wood. To be clear this is a stock from another older M12. I know that the receiver stud rotates to accomplish cast on or off. I am having difficulty in getting this stud set just right to get a perfect fit of wood to receiver. Any tip to get this set correctly will be appreciated. I have used some sanding to open the through bolt holes but do not want to go to far. Thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I just replaced the original pre-1936 "Perch Bellied" buttstock on my 1931 Field grade M12 20 gauge (28" mod. solid rib) with a later buttstock from a 1937 era M12 field grade 16 gauge- for my Grandson to use on clays-- I'll be dipped in batshit if you could "rotate" the receiver extension stud from TDC as it was set at the factory, to allow for this "cast" stuff- The rimmed radius on the face of the buttstock as it is mounted to the receiver boss doesn't allow for any of this "cast" stuff- and remember, factory specs. for M12's figure on the buttstock standing "proud" of the steel by aprox. 3/32"as per the Madis book on the "Perfect Repeater"--RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

RWTF, ok. Not sure about the batshit stuff. However when my stud is screwed fully into the receiver the milled head of the stock (my replacement) does not come anywhere near fitting flush into the back of the receiver. Wide gap at top of receiver. With the trigger guard tang up tight to the wood. With the stud removed of course the stock fits just fine, snug with complete mating of metal to wood. Put the stud in, no fit at all. I should add that my stud is angled down when fully inserted. These stocks appear to be machine made without hand fitting. ???

Sidelock
Sidelock

It has been bent. If you straighten it, the stock may fit just fine. To make a stock fit you, shooters in the old days bent the stud. You should be able to bend it back straight or buy a new one.

LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Eightbore, thanks. I will try to take the bend/angle out by heating and straightening the stud. As I told the Fox, the stock mates up without the stud so I think I will be able to get a proper fix.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't heat them. I just put them on the gun or in a vice and bend them.

LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ok. Soft enough?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nicht zer gut, Herr Parkeristo-- if you thread the receiver stud into the mating female threads in the rear receiver face, then try to bend that stud to fit the replacement buttstock, you had better hope you got it right on the first shot out of the box-- I would ash-can the after market buttstock idea and look for a parted out field grade M12 buttstock post 1935 design most likely.

M12's, like the "using grade Paakars" are treasured artifacts of a by-gone era in American shotgun manufacturing, why be in a rush about doing a "Comshawed" stock replacement job on a buttstock? RWTF...

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Perhaps I am not clear on what I am working on. This 1937 field grade M12 serial 700xxx, belonged to my dad (a present from my mother when he entered the U.S. Army). Somewhere in the far distant past, the original stock cracked in the wrist and was replaced with a 1960 style trap stock. Nice piece of wood but clearly not correct. Now...

I have acquired a early 1940's Winchester stock to put back on the M12. Also a very nice piece of Walnut. (Tried to get a 37 style but that is such a crap fest as most sellers cannot tell a '37 from a '45 from a 12 or a 16, etc. I have acquired a few to sell if interested).

Now to my problem. The receiver stud was bent (no idea why?) preventing the early '40 Winchester stock from mating up squarely to receiver.
I can attempt to straighten or I can try to find a stud not bent. If you have such a receiver stud send me a PM, otherwise my MAPP torch and I will straighten it out. I see no other option.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like the stud was bent down as the comb on the trap stocks are a lot higher. If the stud doesn't want to bend fairly easily use heat. I have one of the Browning repop's and put a trap stock on it. Had to really bend the stud to get it to fit. Now the comb is pretty high, but will have to refinish everything anyway as the stock is a 12 and the receiver a 20. I'll take the comb down so it fits me and make it all pretty again. That trap stock was what is causing your issue.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.