March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Travis S, 12boreman, MattH), 623 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 28 of 33 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 32 33
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by battle
Pics of the Francotte?

Perhaps in another thread at another time.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Took me a while to find this again. New post shortly.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, it's finally time to wrap up the saga of the restoration of my 12 gauge Lindner-made Charles Daly Diamond Quality model 275. What started as a un-shootable basket-case (although it looked pretty good) has finally come full circle and made it back to the duck marshes it was originally destined for when it left the bench in Herr Lindner's shop more than a century ago. Covid and it's resulting lockdowns and restrictions made getting this gun back into action a much more drawn out affair than I originally imagined but all is well now that it's gone BOOM and ducks have fallen.

There was a meeting of fine double guns over the last couple days as we hunted out of the famed Mud Creek Club on Lake St Clair. Pretty sure even former member Henry Ford would have been pleased to be using some of the guns on hand. Thanks to the kind invitation of AR15meister, Claudio and I joined Adam and his father to hunt the famed marshes of Lake St Clair, sandwiched between Detroit and Port Huron. With that kind invitation, it was a given the Daly would get the call but Adam is pretty keen on big vintage duck guns so he made sure Claudio brought a gun a few of you may remember from threads on this site now nearly a decade old....his big B grade Fox with the 32' barrels and that spectacular beavertail forend, if you can call it that. We just call it The Big B and, ten years after first seeing it, I still think it's the most beautiful double I have ever seen. Adam also brought his own, very fine 12 gauge SuperFox, recently restocked along with receiving new metal finishes by member Chris Dawe. It is a gun that deserves it's own thread. Adam's father Wally doesn't have quite the same enthusiasm for vintage doubles but he humoured us by bringing a very nice late 1950's (I think) Browning Superposed.

While the volume of ducks coming into the spread was a little thinner than we might have hoped (the weather was just too lovely) there were enough to keep us alert and watchful. The lack of waterfowl within range may have had something to do with the amount of laughter being generated in each of the two duckboats. But, as many of you know, it's not always about the limit and we all left yesterday having enjoyed a great time. Claudio made one shockingly good shot that had two big greenheads falling dead as stones from a single shot. By chance we all got a clear view of that event. Fittingly the first duck I dropped with the Daly was a nice Canvasback drake. Here are a few photos. There are more but I'm having some computer issues and will try to post when I get them problems worked out.

Thank you all for following along this adventure with me. I had hoped that, this group being who you are, you would enjoy seeing a start to finish restoration by someone as talented as Claudio. And I think I was right. You did like it. As I alluded to earlier in the year, there is a new project getting teed up. Hopefully sometime in 2022 we will start anew with this 12 gauge Daly's new companion, a Lindner made Charles Daly Diamond Quality model 275 20 gauge. I hope you will join Claudio and I for that one as well.

My view for a couple days:
[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
Claudio on the right:
From left, me, Adam, Wally & Claudio:
View of the club from the canal.
I think this is pretty obvious:

Last edited by canvasback; 12/07/21 09:34 PM.

2 members like this: dukxdog, SKB
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Great to see such a grand old gun back in action. Looks like fine company as well.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice club.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks, James.

That is a very nice clubhouse, and I know you enjoyed being with your friends there. The canvasback drake is indeed a fitting trophy for the completed 12 ga. Lindner Daly. Well done, and thanks. I, for one, would like to see more about Adam's restored Super Fox.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here's Claudio with his true double of mallard drakes:

And here we are in front of Mud Creek:

And this one is one of our guides, Jake, and myself heading out the first afternoon.

Last edited by canvasback; 02/06/22 11:53 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wonderful! Thanks for sharing this adventure with us, Canvasback.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Steve Nash
Wonderful! Thanks for sharing this adventure with us, Canvasback.

I echo Steve's comments. You were fortunate to have such a fine setting to audition your "new" double.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I sure miss seeing Claudio at the Southern Side by Side. See you in April. Bill Murphy in MD.

Page 28 of 33 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 32 33

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.