Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 33 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 32 33
Sidelock
Sidelock

I jumped to a conclusion too quickly. Quite a well defined mineral line. It is an interesting project for certain.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

As is usually the case, things get revealed when you take apart a 115 yo gun. In this case, once the finish was stripped, a lot more fiddleback has shown up than either Claudio or I expected.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

to be able to watch as something like this happens would be like a kid on christmas morning...

"it's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards."
lewis carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Sidelock
Sidelock

Absolutely, I'm really enjoying this!
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

James and Claudio ,this is a great thread !

CJO Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

There you are!.....glad to hear from you
Yup we both decided it was a good way to keep our sanity.
Only two of us at my place but shes getn crowded inside...if you get my drift

Good thing I have the shop......

The taste of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.........
Sidelock
Sidelock

Agreed Claudio ,the shop is a great hiding place !....I have nothing as inspiring as the Daly on the bench at the moment ,just bread and butter field grade checkering to clue up a bunch of refinish work .

first time I gutted a Linder Daly I fell in love ,this just makes me want one more

Sidelock
Sidelock

I almost fell over reading your post. I have an early 10 Ga George Lindner hammer gun in the same condition. Maybe all that oil the Germans used on their stocks at the end of season dissolved the glue leading to loss of the horn inlays? I just finished the missing forend and grip cap pieces with photos at the various stages if anyone is interested. What oil are you planning on using on the wood?

Rick

Rick Hill
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well Claudio was busy over the weekend. And probably a bit last week. So we have a few more photos and a bit more to the story today. Time for a little work on the stock.

First, the oval needed to be reset. As you can see from this pic, it had raised itself over time.

So it got pulled out using a little heat and a lot of care:

The hole it fits in was cleaned up with a little careful sanding:

And the oval fitted neatly back into it's place:

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Next, it was time to address the damaged grip insert. Here it is as it was:

And here is the new insert, in place.

Edit - Correction Claudio and I were unsure of the original material. My thinking was that it was made from gutta percha, a reasonably common material back in those days derived from certain trees, much like rubber is. Gutta percha was used as the cover on golf balls back in the day, prior to the use of balata rubber and then Surlyn, a man made material mostly still in use today. I'm familiar with gutta percha from my many years in the golf industry. A guy we used to work with in the US invented Surlyn. Golf equipment manufacturing......another reservoir of completely untapped and useless info stored in my cranium. Claudio texted me last night to let me know that he was able to rehab the original material. So it is not a replacement but the original item brought back from the dead!

Last edited by canvasback; 04/28/20 06:48 PM.

Page 9 of 33 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 32 33

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.