April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Argo44, dukxdog, Roundsworth, KY Jon, 2 invisible), 362 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,799
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I find I get more even results with Alkenet root oil. I like the Wiebe method, it gives a wonderful durable finish but it is slow. With this method you do not get light spots during the rub out. He left out the info on the red oil but it is just BLO and Alkenet root in the same ratio he uses in the seafin.

Wiebe Stock Finishing
Duane widely uses products by Daly's Inc. in Seattle for stock finishing. After sanding to 400 grit, follow these steps:
1. Raise the grain with a weak solution of oxalic acid (a powder), to cleanse and bleach the wood.
2. Apply a solution of Daly's "Ship n' Shore " sealer using alkenet root powder in the ratio of about one 1 1/4 oz packet to a quart...you can "strengthen" as you see fit...maybe up to 50%.
3. Liberally slop on the sealer combo over a period of about 2 hours until the wood will not seem to take more.
4. Wipe off excess with a paper towel and set stock aside for a day or so.
5. Do it again..set aside for a day and do it again. You are tring to get as much finish as possible into the pores.
6. Now...with alkenet root and "Sea Fin" solution, repeat as with "Ship n' Shore"..maybe two or three times. You have come a long way towards filling up those pores!
7. Not done yet!
8. Buy some rottenstone and mix with Sea Fin solution to a tooth paste like consintency and using a piece of felt or a pad from an old t shirt, "scrub" this mixture on the stock across grain. You are filling the pores and polishing as the same trime. Don't let it get too hard, wipe off the excess across grain, being very careful to not allow build up in the nooks and crannies.
9. Do this over and over again until satisfied with the result…typically 20-30 times while allowing a drying time of 24 hours or so between treatments. This is not a quick way, but you will be very proud of the result

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

You can get your color and finish at the same time with garnet shelac. Just like Parker and LC Smith I use it on many of the old side by sides I restock.

bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill,
The garnet shellac is filling the pores at the same time too..right? Can you tell me how many times you apply the shellac? Is there a top coat (s) you use too?

Tamid Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

SKB,

The recipe calls for a SeaFin solution. What is the solution comprised of?

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tamid,
The MSDS only shows linseed oil and mineral spirits, it can be found at the bottom of this page:

https://www.amazon.com/DALYS-WOOD-FINISHING-PRODUCTS-Seafin/dp/B01CPRLW2K

Here for the meltdowns
Tamid Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Interesting to use teak oil as I haven't seen a gun stock recipe calling for it. I have seen it used on wood siding in our neighbourhood and it does give a very nice red/orange finish. I suppose the question is how does teak oil compare to linseed or tung oil?

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tamid,
I believe Teak Oil is Linseed Oil - at least as a base. I'm not clear on how it differs from any other linseed based oil.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

For years I have been using Laural Mt. Forge Antique Wood Stain, cherry. It is basically just red die of some sort in alcohol. Mixed with an oil or varnish finish or applied directly, if you dare, it does a nice job. Especially true of American black walnut. Can be overdone on light woods.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

What is the ratio of root powder to oil?

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

#2 in the directions....1/4 OZ per quart

Here for the meltdowns
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.