May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Jtplumb, Guy Ave), 853 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,496
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Bajajack
I've owned two M32's over the years, the only O/U I could shoot reasonably well. My current M32 is a 26' skeet with single trigger and a plain barrel that I use on pen-raised pheasants and chukars. My only complaint is the weight. I've tried to figure out a way to reduce the weight, once posted the question on this board, no apparent way--just a heavy gun for the field. My M32 was somewhat loose and I contacted Del Griego. They'll replace the trunnions for a couple hundred bucks. Before doing that, I switched the trunnions from one side to the other and it's much tighter now.

I've never shot the later models, so can't help there. The 32 is hard to beat and still reasonably priced.

If you have a desire to try a lightweight 32, keep your eyes open for a Petrik. I owned a couple of them in 16ga. Unlike the 32's, the Petriks were basically field guns rather than target guns. It's the best way I know of to come up with a lightweight 32 for relatively reasonable $. But there aren't a lot of Petriks floating around on the used gun market.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, thanks for the anecdote about speed skeet. Speed skeet with an International delay is even more fun. The call of "pull" is given when the shooter is nowhere near the next station, hoping for a delay. If an instant target comes out when the shooter is only half way to the station, running is preferable to a fast walk. Unfortunately, I am way past my "Speed Skeet" days.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Completed work on the 16 gauge Remington 3200 today smile

Final fit of the ejectors was done. Now to shoot the

heck out of it on Monday morning

Yeeee Hawww

Last edited by skeettx; 03/29/20 10:37 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the suggestion.

Ive been looking for a Petrik for several years. No luck, so far.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Skeettx, can you explain exactly how you converted the 3200 to 16 gauge? Thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

They have not been mentioned in this thread, not surprisingly as they are mostly overlooked, but there is another gun with the 32 type lockup. That is the Valmet. Produced in Finland for years, there are numerous O/U guns still performing like new. They were (are, under the name Tikka) well made guns, extremely well made mechanically, and have been produced in O/U shotgun, combination shotgun/rifle, and double rifle O/U configurations. I shot a 32" Valmet for several years at registered sporting before going to my MX-8.

One interesting thing about the Valmets is their gun to gun uniformity of machining and fitting. Almost any set of Valmet barrels, of any configuration, seem to fit other actions made during the era, without hand fitting, and having excellent barrel to breech contact. I can't say that about any other double gun I have had any dealings with. It occasionally occurs with other brands, but in the case of the Valmet it seems to be the standard, rather than the exception.

Better trigger pulls on the 32 than the Valmet, as a general rule, but the Valmet has a very reliable trigger.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, I would disagree with your exchangeability of other double gun barrels. I have been shooting a 687EELL Beretta for many years, at one time I had 4 different barrels that all were timed OK. Also exchanged barrels on a different 682 and my son's 680.

The Valmet's did not really take off with the target shooters, went to the same place as Rottweill's and so on....good guns, poor marketing etc....

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

The barrels were original factory un-bored , un-choked, and short chambered barrels

Fitted a barrel hanger.

Fitted the over size monoblock to the action

Then chambered the barrels for 3" 12 gauge and used Lothar Walther chamber adapters which were cut for ejector slots.

Then using old 12 gauge ejectors, welded them up and filed and milled them to fit both the barrels and the hulls.

Anyone wanting to try, here is a start smile

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/859515124

Last edited by skeettx; 03/29/20 10:30 AM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

My K-20 extra barrel set in .410 had to be fitted.

The headspace was off by about .010".

Made in Germany, the home of all things precision.

They also cannot make firing pins that last.

I've had Beretta 680 series guns that would accept barrels from other 680 series guns, and others that would not.

Beretta never claimed they would interchange, and if you buy a set of Krieghoff barrels from DuPont (at least a new set) fitting is included and they ship the barrels to Ottsville to meet up with your gun.

Did Valmet/Tikka actually claim a drop in fit?

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Last edited by skeettx; 03/29/20 11:32 AM.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.