March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Ian Forrester, jake van dyke, Marc Ret, MattH, 2 invisible), 827 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
lagopus Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Article on Shooting Times web site may interest some: https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/news/how-have-other-countries-coped-with-the-lead-shot-ban-111374 Other interesting stuff on this site about 16 bores too. Lagopus..

Sidelock
Sidelock

It almost seems like the next book is going to be about classic steel ready autoloaders. I wonder why he chose to lobby for his knee-cap instead of coming up with some solutions for those who would like to continue using classic side by sides. I can understand the constraints of available space, but do quotes from anonymous hunters have any more weight than internet postings?

It might be somewhat of a service to expand a bit about the nameless and faceless, field sport collectives, committees, agencies and acknowledged politicians who're so effective at closing loopholes, setting the narrative, and getting everyone to fall in line.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have Kent TM loads that I bought in the mid 2000's for about $1.80 Cdn. per shell. It costs me now over $6.00 Cdn per Kent TM shell. I suspect Americans have seen a similar, although somewhat moderated due to currency fluctuations, price rise

I'm not seeing any "rapidly dropping prices" for Tungsten and Bismuth. That kind of blatant error makes the rest of the "points" in his article suspect.

I'm also curious as to know how a voluntary ban is any different from a legal one when the result is the same. Especially when the voluntary ban comes about ONLY as a method of avoiding the legal ban. Talk about splitting hairs!

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

I wonder if he's a signer of the 'statement in support of lead and plastic wad removal'? There are probably chin up and smilie face solidarity clauses in it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

So is the total ban pf lead shot going to cause a fatal drop in double gun prices? Many fine doubles could be used with very expensive Bismuth shot but history in other countries show a sudden decline in shooters when a lead ban goes into effect. The common box lock doubles seem to have very weak demand already and I cant help but wonder if the mid price range side locks wont suffer as well. Like the decline in antique prices in the US. Ive seen China worth 3-4K 10-15 years ago drop in value to less than 1k if you can even get a buyer. Are doubles next and how soon?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
So is the total ban if lead shot going to cause a fatal drop in double gun prices?....Are doubles next and how soon?

Mr. Potter laughs...and spreads his wings.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It appears that the author of the article is recommending that shooter just behave like good little sheep, and line up for the shearing.

It has been noted that the article predicts drops in prices for the inferior non-lead shotshells, which has not happened, and is unlikely to happen. We just don't see prices of things falling when demand goes up. I don't know why anyone with a brain would think it will be any different with expensive non-lead shotshells.

Unfortunately, the demand in this case is being forced down the throats of shooters who do not want the product, but will soon have no choice. Read the very last paragraph. So much for being voluntary.

As you read the article, a few things jump out. When New Zealand hunters had the choice, they chose 16 and 20 gauge guns with lead shot over the 12 gauge guns that were mandated to use inferior steel shot. That little loophole was soon slammed shut. The anti-lead folks certainly couldn't allow actual proof of their false data to remain in the fields.

We also still have the comments from anti-lead folk about how great steel shot kills. Yet those New Zealand hunters found that lead is better at longer ranges, and the shooter in Belgium found that he had to restrict his shots to around 25 yards to ensure clean kills. German shooters also experienced reduced range and more cripples. Dogs became more of a necessity to recover game which flew a long way after being hit.

So how is this possible when we are told that steel kills just as good or better than lead?

The most hopeful part was about hunters in Norway. They apparently fought back, and part of their 2005 blanket lead shot ban was reversed, so now only waterfowl shooters are stuck with it, and their older vintage guns are still useful for now.

The most effective way to lose to the anti-lead ammunition freaks is to be a sheep, and be afraid to fight back. So join the NRA, remain involved, tell your legislators that you will not support them if they support lead ammo bans, and... don't be a sheep.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Does this ban include clay shooting as well?

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

The article says its for hunting game, but it also says something about historical momentum and political disenfranchising for those who dont have any sense.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Several countries have banned lead shot entirely it seems. One makes the sale of it entirely illegal. Once one EU nation does it others are very likely to do the same. Worse is if the EU decides it for them all then it a done deal. Lead shot is a back door gun ownership ending tool that the anti gun people are exploiting.

I remember when we first went to steel shot here in the late 1970s or early 1980. There was a major increase in browning 3 20 sales. Buddy owned a gun shop and ordered 20 of them a year before the change. Back then you had to order your A5s well in advance for the upcoming season. He got them in and had them all sold within a week. He got a premium price for them and had laid in what he thought was a years supply of 3 lead shot ammo. Half my friends were shooting those A5s that year. And they were much better than those early steel ammo was in killing ducks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.