March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Stanton Hillis, SKB, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 891 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Saskbooknut, I presume you are using fiber wads as well. Lubed or unlubed?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Rick W Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I load my BP cartridges just like my ML - only difference is the case.
Id post a photo if I knew how..lol

Sidelock
Sidelock

It would seem to me the lube on the crimp would get lost in the pellets and burning gas before a wad would do much good. I do know plastic compression wads and BP don't like each other much. I elect for a lubed wad and plastic shot cup. Been doing it that way for so long I've no idea if its easier to clean up afterwards than another method of loading BP shells. I will have to give windshield washer fluid a try.

https://vimeo.com/373451587

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tamid, I tried plastic shot cups over a fiber wad and still got plastic melting on the barrel walls. I'd like to find a shot cup that didn't give that problem but haven't found one yet.

Windshield washer fluid, glass cleaner in a spray bottle, or just plain ol' dihydrogen oxide all work equally well at cleaning barrels of bp fouling in my experience.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fibre wads (dry) in plastic hulls, usually Federal Top Gun, once and done.
80 grains FFg, 1 1/8 ounce #8 shot.
I don't use shot cups because they didn't improve patterns over no shot cup, in fact worse.
I have been using a dab of lube on the crimp for at least 25 years. It sure eases cleaning.
There is no lube migration on hot days if you don't use lubed wads in your load.
We use a cartridge block to hold and carry our shells crimp up.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I dont understand how a plastic shot cup over a fiber wad would melt. It is ahead of the gas. Only if the fiber wad is not sealing properly and gas is escaping could I appreciate how the shot cup would melt

As for the pattern when using plastic wads Ive found they hold a tighter pattern

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Tamid
I dont understand how a plastic shot cup over a fiber wad would melt. It is ahead of the gas. Only if the fiber wad is not sealing properly and gas is escaping could I appreciate how the shot cup would melt

As for the pattern when using plastic wads Ive found they hold a tighter pattern

I don't understand it either, and I came to much the same conclusions that you did, but even lubed fiber wads would not solve the problem. Makes no sense to me.

In contrast, I use Low Density PolyEthylene (aka LDPE) wads, 0.06" thick, directly on top of >80 grs of 1.5 or 2 fg Swiss powder in my rifles and never had any plastic melting in my bores. Recovered wads look as new. The rifle wads and the plastic shotcups seem to be of very similar, if not identical, plastics, but I can't testify to the chemical nature of them.

In the past, I have used thick artist watercolor paper as a shot wrapper as well as the mylar wrappers sold by most reloading suppliers. The paper might slightly tighten the group (presumably less shot deformation on the barrel walls). But it is a PITA to use it and takes up valuable case space.

_________

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.