March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Roundsworth, Argo44, RWG, 3 invisible), 352 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,002
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#565176 02/14/20 06:55 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have a question regarding muzzles touching. I've read a few times on here that often a sign that barrels may have been cut is if the barrels aren't touching , or nearly touching at the muzzles. Granted there are some guns that were made where the muzzles did not come close to touching. My question is, if barrels were cut, how far back could they be cut and still have muzzles touching? The particular gun I'm wondering about is a muzzleloading "coach gun" from circa 1860. The barrels are 24" and the muzzles touch. However, the top filler between the barrels is missing but you can see a bit of solder where it looks like it was soldered there. And the muzzles are pretty darn level across. If this wasn't a "factory" coach gun, the barrels would likely have been 28" to 32" long. Would the muzzles still touch if cut back to 24"?

775 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Shoot it.
Do the patterns cross...left barrel shoots right etc.
Has it been jug choked off center to correct?
A picture is worth.......

Ms. Raven
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Can't shoot it as I'm playing around with it as a project right now. But here are some pics. It has the ramrod stop on the bottom rib where it should be as well as the front sight bead looks to be in the location as one would expect. Someone told me that barrels can touch together as far back as 20" from the breech to the muzzles. If that is true it kind of blows the theory of telling if a gun has been cut back if it was only cut back an inch or two if the muzzles could still touch.

Last edited by gunsaholic; 02/14/20 07:55 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The bead looks a bit off center, as well as too far back.
Karl

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It's my photo making the bead look off center. It's not. It is 3/8" back from the muzzles.

As a comparison, here are 2 sets of Damascus barrels. Both are exactly the same length (28"). Both have lost the fillers. The muzzles touch on both. The one has the bead almost an inch back from the muzzles. In these examples, the barrels on the left (older set) are opened choked. The barrels on the right that has lost both upper and lower fillers and with the bead further back, looks to be choked full and modified.

Last edited by gunsaholic; 02/14/20 09:04 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The ramrod stop is soldered on crooked.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I guess the main question I have though is would the muzzles still touch if the barrels have been cut back to 24" from 28 or 30". There is a thread running right now in the German gun forum regarding a double barrel. The barrels are at 29 1/2" and it is suspected that they have been cut a short bit. The muzzles are nowhere close to touching on it. I would have suspected that that would be the case with this muzzleloader as well if cut that far back ,or for any gun for that matter.

Last edited by gunsaholic; 02/14/20 11:54 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I just cut back one of those 28" sets of Damascus barrels to 24". Should have thought about that before. Quite a gap between the muzzles. Nowhere close to touching.

Last edited by gunsaholic; 02/15/20 12:30 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I grabbed the wrong set of barrels when I cut the first ones. They were 30" barrels so I cut off 6", not 4. This set of barrels were 28". Cutting off 4" and the barrels are still almost touching. So, it is entirely possible to whack off 4" or so and still have muzzles touching. For the condition these damascus barrels were in, all 3 sets rang nice and clear and, from what I can see looking in the space, the barrels don't look that bad under the rib. I should remove the top ribs and have a good look.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Normally" the barrels of a double were straightened prior to joining. I joining they were set to converge from breech to muzzle. This would ordinarily mean the barrels did not touch for any distance behind the muzzles. Having a desire to check this several years ago, but not wanting to saw off my barrels I did the following;

I marked the barrels at several increments beginning at the muzzles & going back a few inches. At each mark, I measured the OD of each barrel & then the width across both barrels. On every gun I checked the width across the barrel was greater than the sum of the ODs of the two barrels. This means that each one that I checked would have had a gap between the barrels at any point behind the muzzles.

As I learned though, many, many years ago in Elementary English Grammer "There are Exceptions to All Rules"

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.