March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (mel5141, Jimmy W, Mike Harrell, fallschirmjaeger, Argo44, 1 invisible), 853 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am posting this up here on the forum as the Lefever project post is getting rather lengthy.

Now on to staining and oil finish for the wood. I ask your indulgence for the straight up reason that, not being a stock maker or woodsmith with loads of experience, I am going slow. Once I have decided on the course of action then the finish I select is the one I live with for a long time. This, and.. my Brits hate an unsightly finish on a gun.

Any suggestions on commercial product? I have used Brownell's Pilkington Spirit Pre-64 Stain a few times. LinSpeed over Tungseal (Roy Dunlap). What about Napier's London Oil Stain? I have read about this and watched a YouTube video but I have not experience with this product. Any thoughts on products with a mixture of oil and varnish such as MinWax Antique Oil Finish (I have read about this and it appears to be a good choice) or Watco Danish Oil Natural (I have lots of this as I use it to seal my Damascus barrels). I would like to get a stain color close to the Lefever original if possible. As you can see from the photos of the stock in the original post it is a good straight grain walnut with not a lot of figure in the grain. Again, thanks for the many replies to my many questions.

Sidelock
Sidelock

YOu might try this:
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools...738-140981.aspx

It may be what Jim used on this Fraser he just posted up above. You should as. No one does gunstocks as nice as Jim.
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=565091#Post565091

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

There was recently a lengthy discussion on various wood finishes in the "Timberlux" thread.

Some here persist in the thought that Timberluxe is the greatest finish ever... which is ridiculous on so many levels.

It is rather difficult to imagine what an original Lefever stock finish would have looked like because of what over 100 years of oxidation and exposure to UV light, etc. would have done to even a gun in excellent original condition. There was a stock finish recipe on the old Lefever forum that I think was mostly conjecture about the original factory finish. I suspect they probably used some copal varnish or varnish/oil mix that was much different than commercial varnish made today.

As far as stains go, I have used alkanet root soaked in BLO, but have moved on to Behlen's SolarLuxe. It is always a concern about how evenly stain or finish will penetrate where glue or epoxy squeezed out of a repair, and may act as a sealer. This is one reason why I prefer Titebond II over epoxy for repairs that are on exposed surfaces. Clean up with a wet cloth before clamping along with minimal sanding seems to prevent glue joint marks under the finish.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I picked up a copy of Bob Flexner's 'Understanding Wood Finishes: How to select and apply the right finish'. Spent the weekend reading it from cover to cover. Fantastic. Get it and cut through all the nonsense on stock finishes and finishing out there. I thought my other resources on finishes were complete, but not so. Thanks for the advice.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: LetFly
I picked up a copy of Bob Flexner's 'Understanding Wood Finishes: How to select and apply the right finish'. Spent the weekend reading it from cover to cover. Fantastic. Get it and cut through all the nonsense on stock finishes and finishing out there. I thought my other resources on finishes were complete, but not so. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks for that LetFly. I have a copy coming my way. Can't read too much on the "mystery" of wood finishes. I enjoy trying different methods advocated by various people. The best instructions I've found yet, came with a bottle of Pilkington's stock finish. It will work with any oil-based finish, even if it has some poly (like LMF Permalyn) and I don't think Pilk's is worth the premium that they charge, except for that set of instructions...

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

I just looked at Brownells and Midway for Pilk's stock finish . Midway says discontinued, Brownells says out of stock.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Craigster, I vaguely remember hearing that Pilkingtons may be done, out of business, I'm not sure. Can anybody confirm that?

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Second that on Flexners book. Covers a lot and well worth the few bucks.

LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I believe it is OOB. I talked to Brownells tech guy and they could not find a contact number for me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In that case, how do I post a PDF? Hmmm. I'll figure that out after class. Or send me your email via may email, in my profile.

_________

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.