April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (buckstix, eightbore, Jim H., SKB, 2 invisible), 700 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,850
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What is the best way to attach a horn grip cap to a pistol grip?

Jim
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

The Ones I have made for British rifles are attached with an engraved screw. A good epoxy should work fine as well. I always use pins or a tenon for fore end tips but not on grip caps. Hope this helps.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes, that is very helpful. I was planning to just use epoxy, but then all the photos I could find online were screwed in like you suggested. I am replacing the plastic cap on an ithaca 200e. I might go with the epoxy to get a clean, simple look

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

FWIW the Parker grip caps have 2 small studs in the wood to prevent rotation. Not really necessary but they are there. It may make gluing easier while the epoxy sets.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What mark says is worth consideration. One pin will do, and you want to install it first. With it in place, the screw is easy to locate.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Unless you are sure you want it to be there forever, I tend to use contact cement.

[IMG]
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thus far, all I've done is begin shaping and re-attach with the same screw that came with the gun. I'm having a little trouble getting the wood perfectly flat, but the cap doesn't spin even just with the screw.

Do you all think glue or a pin is necessary or just if I run into trouble with it?

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

A single screw is fine but it would be better if it had a hidden peg to help prevent turning .

Gluing is fine but permanent , but will that matter , how often will you want to take it off ? Glue such as an epoxy will also fill any small gaps quite nicely .

I have done both so have no preference other than to say IMHO an engraved screw always looks better even if only for decoration .

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I intend to sell this gun when I'm finished with it, so epoxy would probably be fine. It would certainly make that tiny edge gap less of an issue.

In intend to clean up the factory screw and use it. The engraving isn't outstanding but it's nice enough

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

There is an easy way to finish the perfect fitting to the grip. Using a strip of emery cloth of the appropriate grit, and with the buttstock held in a vise at the needed angle, place the emery between the grip cap and the wood with the cutting side toward the wood. Holding firm pressure on the grip cap with one hand, and taking care to hold it in place, slowly pull the emery strip out from between the grip and the cap laterally, trying as best as you can not to pull downward toward the floor because it will round off the edge of the wood. If anything, pulling it slightly upward against the outer edge of the cap. That won't hurt the cap's edge because the emery strip isn't cutting on that side. I prefer to hold the grip cap down with my left thumb and let the emery strip drag across my left hand to prevents it "dragging" on the edge of the wood going in, but watch it carefully.

This method cuts away the high spots. It won't take long before you have a perfect fit. I learned to do this on buttplates and it works just as well for grip caps. This method is only useful for grip caps with no "pegs".

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.