April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (campero, Fudd, Jtplumb, AGS, earlyriser, 1 invisible), 980 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,476
Posts545,178
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

The two Ted Cash variants have always been the bar for everyone else to match. They are still good, but like Ted, they aren't as good as they used to be in my opinion. Still best out there, save for a few custom jobs that will set you back a couple of Benjamins.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

When i did a lot of muzzle loading i made paper cases out of cartridge paper - you can nitrate the paper if you want but its not necessary i experimented with both. nitrated paper was harder to glue.. i just used prit stick type glue

I turned a mandrel just smaller than bore diameter and would roll the paper around the mandrel and glue one end shut. In to my paper tube i would put one measure of shot, then the wad then the powder charge and then fold the end over or tie it off with string if i wanted to look really cool.

When out shooting you would simply take a cartridge, tear the end and then ram the whole lot down in one. Still cant keep up with the center fire guns but it is a lump quicker - you can use a wad marginally smaller than the bore once you ram it all down it works fine

Last edited by Demonwolf444; 11/27/19 08:24 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My Tedd Cash capper is the teardrop shaped style, not the "snail" shape, but I second the motion that they are very well made, and very useful for hunting or target shooting. Raise the lid, pour caps into it, gently shake the capper side to side horizontally, and they all turn bottom up. Works perfectly for rifle or shotgun. Mine is old, but very well made. If I lost it I'd buy another just like it.

My loads for hunting are contained in little clear plastic tubes, like the ones shown above, but shorter. They are a little smaller than a 28 ga. loaded shell. I don't carry them in my pocket to jostle around, for fear of static electricity build up on a cold, windy day. So, for quail hunting I use a brass flask for the powder, even tho' I know it's a bit slower in use. But, for dove shooting the plastic capsules of powder and shot are in a little camo 20 ga. shell carrier someone gave me many years ago. There is a block of foam inside it with pre-punched holes the perfect size for the little bottles. It will hold fifty, as I recall, plenty for a dove shoot.

One other hugely useful tool for dove shooting with a m/l shotgun is my loading rod. I built it out of hickory, put a flared brass wad rammer on the end, and an old antique solid brass doorknob on the other end. After loading it rests in a piece of 3/4" metal conduit pushed into the ground. The length of the holder is such that, when I drop the loading rod into it, the base of the doorknob catches itself on the flared, top end of the conduit. The bottom end, that is pushed into the ground, was flattened in a vise, then ground on two sides into a flat point. Since you stay in the same spot, for shooting on a dove field, the apparatus is shoved into the ground on arrival there and is always right beside you with the doorknob end at the right height for reloading. I've got pictures of it all but photobucket has me messed up, right now.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Argo44,

One thought comes to mind. I use to do a lot of muzzleloading back in the day and using anything with Black Powder that could create a static charge was a no no as a static spark will ignite black powder. The powder measures like the lyman used for Black Powder now have Aluminum hoppers and back in the day they had Brass hoppers for that reason. Also as you may have noticed most powder measures are brass for that reason.

A thought would be to do to the hardware store and pick up some brass tubing or even copper tubing, cut it to the length you need then soldier one end & use a cork on the other end or cork both ends. The advantage with corking both ends is if you seal the tube half way down you can put powder in one side and shot in the other. Usually a wad held in place with some silicone rubber is all that is needed. Just put a little red paint on the "powder cork" so you get the right one in first. wink

I noticed you had some powder particles stuck to the sides of the tubes which indicates static build up.

Just a thought, take it for what it's worth. But I would think loading a Muzzle loader with one hand might be difficult.

WBLDon

Last edited by WBLDon; 11/27/19 12:44 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

WBLDon, the static electricity from plastic loading hoppers and speed loaders has been well debunked, long ago. Just like the "no-petroleum distillates" and "bore seasoning" fads that swept the net. You can use your RCBS, Redding, Lyman, etc. powder measure with total confidence and safety.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

BrentD,

Thanks for the update, I stand corrected! Been a number of years since I was seriously into smoke poles and the information I was relying on came from some old timers that passed on long ago but shared their knowledge before doing so. We weren't surfing the net back then, more word of mouth than word of internet.

WBLDon

Sidelock
Sidelock

When M/Ling shooters shoot at my SxS event they usually shoot first [ always two shots ], step aside and reload, step back in for two shots, step out and reload, etc, etc. That way there isn't a big wait for the M/Ler.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: WBLDon
BrentD,

Thanks for the update, I stand corrected! Been a number of years since I was seriously into smoke poles and the information I was relying on came from some old timers that passed on long ago but shared their knowledge before doing so. We weren't surfing the net back then, more word of mouth than word of internet.

WBLDon

Don don't believe everything you read on the Internet...

Sidelock
Sidelock

I will add, Don't believe everything you read on the Internet OR everything you hear by Word of Mouth. I will note that for many, many years the old Ideal & then Lyman powder measures were all cast iron with a brass measuring cylinder & were recommended for use with black powder, in fact, they were introduced specifically for that purpose. I do not recall ever hearing of anyone experiencing an explosion from their use. I have measured a good bit of black with a Lyman #55 which is the measure Lyman decided neede to be replaced with the new measure having an aluminum tube.

Prior to Jim Legg's decease when he was an active member here he once showed a video of an experiment that someone had conducted. A "Static Spark generator was shown throwing a continuous stream of static sparks onto a pile of loose black powder & it did not ignite.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

The reason that static electricity is not very likely to ignite black or smokeless powder is two-fold. Static charges tend to accumulate mostly on the outside of vessels or containers, and any static discharge is more likely to go to ground, and away from the powder inside. Also, powder grains are coated with graphite which makes them a bit harder to ignite. Not all static electricity charges are equal in energy, and a static electricity charge of sufficient energy can be a source of ignition. I have also never heard of black powder exploding in a reloading powder measure, and I have used small plastic vials for many years to hold pre-measured loads for hunting.

However, Black powder, especially fine granulations and black powder dust, certainly can be, and has been, ignited by static charges, as can many other explosive dusts or vapors. That is why workers in plants where these gun powder products and fireworks are made are required to wear cotton clothes and grounding straps, and all of the hoppers and equipment are carefully grounded. The IEC, OSHA, and the NFPA introduced these regulations as a direct result of explosions.

https://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=15285

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.