April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (ClapperZapper, SKB, 2 invisible), 1,099 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,235
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My reference library is thin on British shotguns and I seek help from the members in vetting a WR shotgun.

It is a 12 bore with patented one trigger, scalloped action back, dolls head rib extension, and detachable/drop locks with hinged floor plate, and 30 bbls.

According to the T-series serial number it is 1922-1926 production and I believe 1925 or 1926 as it is stamped with 2 3/4 choke on the underside of the barrels.

I would like to know if the locks are original to the gun. I dont have the gun in hand yet but what I can tell from pictures is that the barrels serial number to the number on the trigger guard tang. There is a different number on the water table that also appears on the lock. I dont see the barrel/TG number stamped on the water table. A separate number is visible on one of the locks that is different than the barrel serial number. Ill post pictures to clarify. I would expect the guns serial number (presumably the same as the barrel/TG number) to be stamped on the locks and water table and all to match? Im aware of patent use numbers but unsure how these would appear.

The gun appears to be fairly high condition and presented as original but I want to make sure this isnt a cobbled together Frankengun.

My other question relates to the proof marks. I dont have a picture of the barrel flats but it looks like everything is stamped forward of the flats on the underside of the barrels before the forearm lug. Is there anything here concerning in terms of reproof, etc.? Minimum wall thickness is reported to be 35 thousandths choked IC and extra-full, proved at 1 1/4 and barrels without forearm weigh 3lbs12oz with gun weighing 7lb 6 oz total.

This is a T series gun which I understand indicates it may have been retailed abroad. I dont have a pic of the rib to see if this is engraved with a retailer or what address it bears although the label in the case reads 23 Conduit St which I believe is correct for the gun. It does seem to have the desirable features of fancy back/scalloped action, the patented one trigger, fancier checkering pattern, and case.

Any thoughts positive or critical, overall impressions and fair market valuation would be welcome.

Ill be following along and can try to answer any questions.
Thanks

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Last edited by wscovell; 11/22/19 07:17 PM.
CJF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I will live vicariously through your purchase. That is a quite beautiful shotgun. Nothing about it looks out of sort. The colors and condition are very nice and appear all original to me.

The different number on the locks (I did not see a pic of the locks) is likely a patent use number, although with the 1925-6 production, I would have thought that patent would have expired. You will likely see a number on the water table that matches the locks.

The case looks very nice and totally repairable.

I see there is a sling in the case. I don't see a sling stud on the butt. Curious about that.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

CJF,
I believe those are two case straps. It is a nice looking gun.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't see a picture of the water table or the locks. I have a WR droplock made in 1928. The Birmingham proofs are on the barrels and not the flats like the gun you are looking at. I was told this is not unusual for Birmingham guns. The flats are clean with no markings other than the US importer. The locks have the guns serial # and are marked with L and R in gold. This is a number 2 gun so the locks also have a gold 2 on them. The lock serial # is underneath the ejector kicker and you have to move the kicker to see the serial #. The locks and water table are also marked with the patent use number.

The gun you are looking at looks in good condition and has the features (scroll back, WR dolls head, engraving) of their higher end droplock. I'm not a big fan of Brit single triggers and don't know how reliable the WR trigger is. Although, WR put them on their heavy DRs and some famous hunters didn't complain. It is probably solid as long as no one has tinkered with it.

This an old thread on WR droplocks with a lot opinions. Droplock

Ken

Last edited by KDGJ; 11/22/19 09:55 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

In each picture, if you will click on embed codes, and the BBCode, copy and paste here, they will show

Last edited by skeettx; 11/22/19 08:35 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some how Westley's managed to get the Proof House to stamp the proof marks on the barrels . I do not recall any other guns stamped up like this in the 20c. Looks good except for the awful recoil pad which should be replaced with a "Silvers" type one immediately and the person who fitted this one publicly shamed .

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Odd to see the "T" serial number series on a C- bolt gun.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

You could also say the same thing about the Alan Lard designed single triggers, as the HOT used on Hunter Arms L.C. Smith guns and the Westley Richards trigger are of the same design, or so I have read. Imagine Ernest Hemingway or his pal Winston Guest using that .577 Express rifle in Africa ( or elsewhere in the World)--and having it double-- Not good. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.