March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (bushveld, Karl Graebner, Lloyd3, Marc Ret, dogon, KY Jon), 848 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,022
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
7 hours ago
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#558882 11/21/19 09:34 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Today I went to the local Pack and Mail to have a defective Caesar Guerini ivectius 7 returned for trigger repair. The local shop said they would not ship it by mail because it is against the law for them to ship guns. We had an extended conservation but I ended up driving to the post office. They mailed it with out any problem. Are they inventing or writeing laws?
bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, they are inventing laws. However, if you referring to the UPS "Store," it is a uniform corporate policy. If you go to a UPS shipping center, they will ship it without much problem.

Frankly, I find USPS to be MUCH better for shipping long guns and use them almost exclusively, followed by Fed Ex. But USPS will not do handguns unless you are an FFL.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I will never use UPS to ship a gun again, as long as current situations exist. USPS is the way to go. My little rural post office postmistress asks me only one question ......., the one about there being hazardous materials inside, yada, yada, yada. I truthfully reply "No, ma'am", and it's on.

BTW, I recently learned that if you don't want it to go by air, send it Registered Mail (not Priority Mail) and it will go by ground all the way. It will be slower, and more expensive, but it's on a truck, not a plane where it is subjected to airline "baggage handlers".

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Also with registered mail it is signed for each time it changes hands. Been using registered for over 40 years now without a problem.

Sam Welch
Sidelock
Sidelock

USPS is the way to go. Just look at the condition of the boxes you receive and compare the services.

I have never had a problem with with Priority mail. Fedex broke a stock and paid for it and UPS mangles the boxes.

Even though Priority includes $50 insurance automatically, I always add some just to get the insurance sticker on the box.

Registered is slow and a pain to pack since you must use paper tape however you don't have to pay extra for insurance since it is automatically insured for $50,000 or that is what my Post Office said. Priority max insurance is $5,000.

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
I will never use UPS to ship a gun again, as long as current situations exist. USPS is the way to go. My little rural post office postmistress asks me only one question ......., the one about there being hazardous materials inside, yada, yada, yada. I truthfully reply "No, ma'am", and it's on.

SRH

When I lived in Iowa, the postmistress at my little rural post office handled the import paperwork on a shotgun I'd purchased in England. Collected customs duty etc. My local FFL had to sign off on the import paperwork before ATF approved it. But the form (at that time--don't know whether it's still true) had a blank where the recipient could be someone other than the importer. So it came to me direct from the UK, right to my little rural post office.

Last edited by L. Brown; 11/22/19 09:47 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Have used UPS for 40 years and no issues.
They sold two Beretta shotguns
Broke a very expense rifle stock.
A couple of gun cases.

John Boyd
Quality Arms

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

all can be a hassle if you have an insurance claim on a high ticket item...best to pack high priced merchandise in hard case and stout box...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

They all can be a problem. I had UPS crush a box with a gun inside. If it had not been ridiculous overpacked it would have come out as splinters and metal shavings. Counter person was unconcerned. When I explained I thought it should be open and inspected for damage she did not seem interested. Her supervisor did get a bit hinky when I explained what was it it. But we went to a little office and unpacked it. Much to my relief and surprise it was in damaged. But the staff was very unhappy with me having a gun shipped by UPS.

About two months ago I had a package shipped by USPS. Should have been a straightforward deal. Once it went from the small PO to Denver it entered the system and disappeared for a month. A couple traces could not find the box. It was so over due that claims were being made. Two days later it just appeared out if thin air. Again the box was abused but still intact. All labels were perfect and clear. It just took forever to arrive.

So ship at your own risk. But pack as well as you can because theses boxes can suffer a lot of abuse in shipping.

Not to leave fedex out. They wont do home delivery where I live for ammo or primers. You have to drive 21 miles to their location to pick up in person. Sadly I have a branch two miles from my house but they would not ship and hold to that location. Rules can be so inflexible to drive you crazy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've likely said this here before, but the only time I ever shipped a gun by USPS Registered was when another member here and I were trying to work out a Lefever swap. The guns were both pre-1898 so the shipping was person to person.

We decided against the exchange after viewing each other's Lefevers and I decided to ship his gun back by Registered mail for safety. The returned gun going to Cincinnati I believe, went missing. After several weeks and an unproductive trace the gun showed up at the other party's office.

It turned out that the gun was last signed for by a postal employee in Cincinnati who'd gone on her two week vacation, leaving the package in a locker. It took another two weeks for the post office to get around to delivering it...Geo

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.