Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
tw #558105 11/11/19 10:57 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

My wife and I are on our way to the local school for a Veteran's Day program. It is always put on by the grammar school classes. I think it is wonderful that they are teaching the young ones.
Mike

Der Ami #558111 11/11/19 11:58 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

"In Flander's Fields, where poppies grow-- there stand white crosses, row on row-- In my case-- from the center axis of the Wall- Five rows East- 63rd name- (aprox in the middle of that fifth Black Panel--) Don was the guy who you always wanted to be with--loyal, great athlete, Class president-- why does it always seem like those guys end up in body bags, and the "10 per-centers' and the REMF's make it back "To The World" intact?

Just reading a book by the C.O. of his Unit-- "Danger's Dragoons" written by Col. (Ret) Wm. Haponski-- The Air/Cav Division of the Big Red One-- I served in the USMC 3rd. Mar/ Div-- Yes, Sunday 10/Nov we "Jarheads" celebrated 274 years, but on 11/Nov each year, since "Ike" declared it "Veteran's Day" in 1954, all of us who served America celebrate as Brothers In Arms... And by the way, my favorite General, after "Chesty" Puller, George Smith Patton Jr., was born on 11/Nov.

Semper Fi-- RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

[""10 per-centers' and the REMF's make it back "To The World"] Fox

I'm sorry Fox, but when I read someone referring to veterans as you just did, and on Veterans Day it strikes me as wrong. My respect on this day is for every guy who took the oath and put his future in Uncle Sam's hands. Not everyone fought, not everyone in mine and your generation even went to Vietnam. No personal offense meant...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

My father, cutting across a large corner lot in Guelph, Ontario, as a kid, was stopped by a tall, erect white-haired man of military bearing. He asked my father's name and school and favourite subject. When Dad said English, he asked if he knew poetry. When Dad said yes, he was asked if he knew In Flanders Fields. With a positive response, he asked if he would recite it for him. When Dad recited the poem, the man man said to my father, age 9, "John McRae is my son."

Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

King even though its U.S. Veteran's Day here, I always think of my father in law Col. Everette Denison who was unfortunate to have been with the Quebec Rifles in Hong Kong when it fell to the Japanese in 1940. He spent 4 1/2 years
in a prison camp and lost hundreds of men to disease, torture, and starvation as they built Kai Tak Airport.

Went to the vet's breakfast this morning. Packed as usual.

Hal
USMC 1535853

Sidelock
Sidelock

King-
We quote "In Flanders Field", and give out Poppies( usually paper, and made at first by disabled "Great War" Veterans) on Armistice Day, now Veterans Day. I wonder how many realize it was written about UK friends that fell in 1914 Belgium. WE also honor our friends on this day even if we don't know it.
Mike

rtw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks, Karl-back at you!

101st Airborne, Vietnam, 1968-1969

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fox,
The Air/Cav Division was the 1st Cavalry Division( Air Mobile), the Big Red 1 was the 1st Infantry Div., both outstanding units with proud histories, but are not the same; just as the 3rd Marine Division is different than the 3rd Infantry Division even though both are proud units any member should be proud of.
Mike

Hal #558125 11/11/19 03:39 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Suffering of prisoners of the Japanese is unimaginable. My father was POW of the Luftwaffe in Stalag Luft III for three years, a camp of some 11,000 Allied airmen, scene of The Great Escape. Six POWs died of natural causes there during the war. An adjoining camp for Russians, not protected by Geneva Convention, carted off hundreds each month, starved, without medical care and worked to death. My wife, oldest daughter and I visited Zagan, now in Poland, two years ago. It had a single huge sculpture at the entrance of a near-prostrate dying Russian with an arm up in appeal to humanity.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Russians had a soft spot for German POW's and vice versa. The Germans treated US POW's far better than they did the Russians. I knew more than a handful of dad's friends who survived as POWs in German camps. Mom's oldest brother, on the other hand, was a captured airman who was eventually murdered by the Japanese captors in New Guinea. The one thing all of our veterans, living and dead, have in common is that they signed a blank check with their lives as payment in service to our country. Gil

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.