April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Ted Schefelbein, Argo44, JDH, dukxdog), 219 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,440
Posts544,756
Members14,404
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mike A. Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I recently read an article by Ken Waters on the "Lo-wall" variation of the Win 1885 SS in an old issue of "Rifle," (#44 March-April 1976) one of his "Classic Rifles" series.

In it he mentions the "Lightweight Carbine" variation (rather scathingly--I wonder what he would have made of the 16 1/2" "Winchester" Hi-wall carbines recently marketed in such calibers as .45-70 and .30-40!) but also says there was a standard Lo-wall .44-40 carbine with 20" barrel instead of the 15" barrel of the "Lightweight."

I've seen the latter, some of them with Australian brand markings like "Stinger," but never an authentic 20".44 WCF carbine (I've seen some Lo-walls that had been cut down from rifles, but all of them were obvious non-factory work on a Plain Sporter with octagon #1 barrel).

Anybody see one of these 20" .44 carbines? Was it "lettered"? Waters mentions that some of them had saddle rings--never seen one of those, either.

Don't remember this variation from Campbell's books, either.

Last edited by Mike A.; 11/01/19 12:52 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Campbell writes of them in his book as being built on the flat side low wall receiver as either coming in a 15" or 16" barrel, having a saddle ring and chambered in the 4 common pistol calibers. They were the lowest priced in the 1885 Winchester line. They had round barrels and no schnable or insert in the forearm. No mention of 20" barrels. many were sent to NZ, and Aus. and marked Stinger or Daisy
If you go to the Winchester Collectors website, Bert Hartman can probably help you out as he has cataloged most of the 1885's. I would think the forearm and the saddle ring would be a good indicator of whether it's legit or cut off.

Mike A. Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, Bob. I'll try Hartman. I love carbines and Lo-walls and would like to try making a "replica" of the one Waters describes, using a modern (foreign) action from Miroku or Uberti. Just would like to know if it would actually be a replica of something that ever existed, or just my personal pipe dream.

I've handled Lo-wall "carbines" made from original rifles and can see why the owner desecrated the Winchester. They do handle nice.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.