March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Dale May), 769 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,013
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#557417 10/26/19 01:48 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A friend was shooting a flush recently .
He wears ear plugs and electronic ear muffs.
He didn't hear an odd report from his gun , (friends standing by did)
He's right handed and shoots with his left thumb up the side of his barrels .
Apparently it seems that a fibre wad stuck in his barrel and upon reloading and firing, the barrel burst , blowing off the forend (which saved his hand ) but fifteen pellets went into his thumb . He is now recovering after having pellets removed . Always check your barrels are clear by getting into the habit of looking down the tubes before reloading , if there is smoke ,blow it out .

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey, I shot a flush recently- Friday nite poker-- 7 cardstud, I had a heart flush "wired" to the Queen in 6 cards- we were playing the "Chicago" version- lowest spade in the hole gets half the pot, so usually that keeps some "hopefuls" in the game, hoping to hit the deuce on the last card- I had the deuce of spades and the seven of spades in my 2 "hole cards"-- But when the "Lady" came, I had 5 solid spades- My buddy had 2 pair, Kings over fives in six cards..RWTF

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 10/30/19 08:30 AM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hunting with friends with no chance to hear anything around him? A lot of "what if's" come to mind.

Sidelock
Sidelock

He must be talking about a "flush and flurry" type clays game, to have been wearing all that hearing protection........... one of those games where you cannot take the time to look down bore before reloading the barrel. When hunting it is no problem to quickly "see daylight" out the muzzle before dropping a fresh load in the chamber.

Hearing protection is counter-productive when hunting.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Salopian, I've had this habit for years with break open guns. Only takes a few seconds to check for daylight through the tubes. Shooting with fiber base wads or my black powder card and fiber reloads, I am particular with my reloads and factory shells but still perform this quick safety check. I wear custom molded ear plugs and can hear the sound of my gun and still protect my hearing. Report can sound off just buy a change in the wind direction, but I still check. When using my semi-auto I trust to "luck" as when shooting a "flurry". I use a heavy proof Spanish side lock, steel barrels for a flurry when I do shoot one. I also wear a heavy deer skin glove on my lead hand for some added protection and due to the heat build up with the barrels. I am the only person I see shooting that performs this quick and simple check.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the tip. I usually dont fire a lot when hunting, and after the shot all my focus goes to recovering the bird, automatically, but, it would be a great idea to check the bores sometime between finding bird and reloading.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I admit that I do not often check the bores while shooting. I have heard enough "squibs" over the years though to stop everything and check/clear when I hear one, either mine or a companion...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: salopian
A friend was shooting a flush recently .
He wears ear plugs and electronic ear muffs.
He didn't hear an odd report from his gun , (friends standing by did)
He's right handed and shoots with his left thumb up the side of his barrels .
Apparently it seems that a fibre wad stuck in his barrel and upon reloading and firing, the barrel burst , blowing off the forend (which saved his hand ) but fifteen pellets went into his thumb . He is now recovering after having pellets removed . Always check your barrels are clear by getting into the habit of looking down the tubes before reloading , if there is smoke ,blow it out .

I always check my barrels but then, like you Peter, years spent coaching people in safe gun handling rubs off on one! In the rare occasions I have been in a 'hot spot' on a driven game shoot, I have lost some chances but still have all my fingers!
Hope you are having a good season, ABT Toby

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting you should say this. Today, I discovered my left barrel plugged with 1/4" of frozen mud. I had fallen once, but had no idea that I had let the muzzles touch the planet.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

For those who don't shoot loads with fiber wads, another concern--especially with reloads--is hull separation. I've only had it happen a few times, but you'll know immediately with a double if one of your empties is only the brass head of the shell, or maybe the head and only a portion of the hull. Every time it's happened with me, the rest of the hull has cleared the barrel. But that's not always the case . . . and I often worry about people shooting autos or pumps, who may not realize what has happened when their gun ejects the empties. (Also possible you won't know with a double when you're shooting a flurry, because you're not trapping your empties.) There's usually a distinctive sound that accompanies hull separation, but you may miss it in the heat of the moment when shooting a flurry.

Last edited by L. Brown; 10/27/19 06:57 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.